Gibson Brands Forums

What other instruments would you like to learn?

Rabs

So Davesinspain's thread about his Banjo got me thinking..

If you could pick an instrument that you could get as a gift what would it be.. Or what instrument have you always wanted to play but never got around to it??

For me its always been the Sax.. I just love the sound it makes and is an impressive lead instrument to be able to play I think.

My main inspiration for that was probably from Pink Floyds The Final Cut... Its a depressing album lyrically and a lot of Pink Floyd fans dont like it but man I think it has some of the best music on it.. And some really nice sax solos (and of course amazing guitars ones too :)).

sax at 2:00

and of course, the Muppets... The Muppets band had alot to do with my love of music :)

Then there was the Double Bass.. I had always wanted to try one of these and did a few years ago when I was at a second hand music shop that had one.. And it was as cool as I thought it would be but in the end just totally impractical (and expensive). Plus I was trying to play along to a song playing in the shop and my brother in law took this pic of me lol (maybe I should just stick to the guitar :))

GetAttachment1.jpg

so far known (in descending degree of skill obtained): Guitar, Vocals, Bass (electric), Drums, Piano, Ukulele, Harmonica.

would like to (in descending order of want): Cello, Violin, Upright-Bass, Classical Guitar (I've touched this, but not on any level worth mentioning), Oboe, Church Organ (Bach style, baby!).

I already have a banjo and a uke, and I'm string instrument challenged enough as it is, but if I could, I'd like to at least be semi adept at keyboards and drums. Problem is, I'm still working on the stringed stuff and I'm running out of time! [flapper]

I have the utmost respect for people like Macca who can spend a day or two with an instrument and sound like they'be played it forever (not that simple, but seems like it, no?)

I already have a banjo and a uke, and I'm string instrument challenged enough as it is, but if I could, I'd like to at least be semi adept at keyboards and drums. Problem is, I'm still working on the stringed stuff and I'm running out of time! [flapper]

I have the utmost respect for people like Macca who can spend a day or two with an instrument and sound like they'be played it forever (not that simple, but seems like it, no?)

Yeah that why I havent ever bought a sax.. they are really expensive if you want a good one.. and starter ones I hear just arnt worth the money..

Plus as you say. Still learing the bloody guitar lol... I can play a bit of Drums and Keyboards and my Bass playing has got pretty good.. But id like to one day get a sax and give it a go.

I play guitar (obviously), bass, and drums but I'm still learning. I also play a little keyboard (mostly bonehead-simple boogie piano riffs and Geddy Lee lines), but I would like to learn it for real. It's just that I'm too focused on the other three.

There's a lotta instruments: mandolin, sax, sitar, etc.

If singing counts, I would like to improve. I'm a musician who tries to sing. I know deep down that I have a great, soulful voice, but it always comes out sounding like Ace Frehley on Valium with a Montana accent

Still learning guitar, I play drums and dabble in keyboards... Those three are what I've always had a passion for and would like to be good at.

Banjo came to me as a surprise but I got it for a reason so I'm gonna give it a go... I like sax, I think it's a very expressive instrument that would be nice to play. That's about it, oh maybe bass too...

Edit: I'll add singing to my list too...

IMX guitarists come from a variety of backgrounds, often starting on whatever instrument was available at school

Hence the many violin, triangle, trumpet, piano, clarinet players around

The sax is a well established 'babe magnet' and ironically part of the 'woodwind' family

Very difficult to achieve a decent tone in the early learning stages(like most instruments)

Probably coming to the fore via the genius of Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, Lester Young, Paul Desmond et al

IMO like most single note instruments, they become boring after a while when compared to the rich harmonies etc available from guitars and keyboards

So very loosely one could categorise musical instruments into 'stand alone' and 'ensemble' varieties

For those people with thick wads of 'folding'...it can be fun to explore families of instruments...

Brass...trumpet,cornet,horn,trombone,tuba,euphonium

Woodwind...flute,clarinet,sax,recorder

Strings...violin,viola,cello,bass,harp

Frets...guitar,mandolin,banjo,ukelele,bazouka

Keys...piano,organ,synthesizer

Reeds...accordion,harmonica,melodica,blues harp...

Percussion...drumkit,mallet,xylophone,vibraphone,bongos

Life is too short...!!... [biggrin]

V

:-({|=

My uncle played drums and would sit me on his lap and do the pedals while I did the rest. It was the first instrument I tried.

I want a drum kit.

I'm already picking up keyboards. Piano is a challenge for sure, but I feel more confident on it than on guitar.

I played snare drum in a drum corp in the 70's even won several Mass and CT state awards plus 1,st in the northeastern's and second in the nationals not to shabby.However you cant make money playing an individual snare drum so I learned to play a kit and still can.Then I took bass lessons in Mcartney style (A great bass player)and played bass in a few bands first before playing out for years 3 nights a week on 6 string guitar.I also play a mean harp (harmonica)and a little keyboard and recorder.I would really like to learn the chello what a beautiful sound it can make.

If anyone is interested I bought a bamboo sax a few years ago and never really got into it.Sounds just like a sax but with a woodier sound and it has finger holes like a recorder but a sax mouthpiece and reed like well a sax.If anyone cares let me know and I'll get pics of it.Im not sure this is the correct website but at least you get the idea what it kind of looks like the lighter one and sounds cool.Sorry bout posting this here but I forgot I had it and seems to be a few people interested in sax,s.

http://www.sunreed.com/our-products/sunreed-saxophones/the-original-bamboo-saxophone.html

Twiz...

Although I agree with you about guitar priority - as far as I'm concerned, I'll never be able to reach my own potential skill but I keep trying to learn and improve - I think that sometimes doing another instrument jogs the brain a bit on what we do on guitar. At least it's worked that way a bit for me - even different scale guitars.

On the other hand, I once tried to teach myself fiddling. I figured that since I could pick a bit of mandolin, it shouldn't be that hard. I still have the hand-me-down fiddle that literally has a skull and crossbones painted on the back. But I gave up after a while 'cuz every time I'd start playing, the cat would vomit on the living room carpet. That's a half joke, but far too close to the truth.

@#$%#$%@#$%

m

I'd love to learn the sitar and violin.Ever since George Harrison gravitated towards Indian music and the music of Ravi Shankar I've been very drawn to it too and despite George's influence I really enjoy it and have built up a fair collection of his works.The eerie and hypnotic drone of the sitar is one of the most enthralling of instrument sounds and I'd love to be able to create these sounds by myself..Ever since I first saw Itzhak Perlman on The Ed Sullivan Show when is was only 4 or 5 I've had a love affair with the violin and have about 30 of his CDs alone plus works by Salvatore Accardo,Midori,Yehudi Menuhen,Isaac Stern,Ilya Kaler,Joshua Bell and others.I'd love to have the virtuosity to be able to play Paganini's 24 Caprices but to be just able enough to play a tune without making the bow screech on the strings would satisfy me.

Archived