Gibson Brands Forums

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Inductees

brundaddy

I'm surprised there's not already a thread on it. I was there last night, and here are the new inductees:

-Randy Newman

-Lou Adler

-Donna Summers

-Freddy King

-Quincy Jones

-Heart

-Public Enemy

-Rush

...not much in the way of rock & roll. At all.

I'm surprised there's not already a thread on it. I was there last night, and here are the new inductees:

-Randy Newman

-Lou Adler

-Donna Summers

-Freddy King

-Quincy Jones

-Heart

-Public Enemy

-Rush

...not much in the way of rock & roll. At all.

Who?

Who?

****in' disco?

ALBERT KING...Freddy was last year...

A pop producer?

Finally, some real rock!

RAP? WTF?

IT'S ABOUT ******* TIME!!!!!

Went to the Rock Hall in 2003. We were on our way home from 9000 miles or so of driving around Americur, our first trip across and back, National Parks and stuff. So anyway, we were really looking forward to the R&RHall. Yawn. If you like costumes and stuff that Daltrey or Brittany wore it is ok. The inductees are about as noteworthy as grammy nominations. None of it has anything to do with music and everything to do with return on corporate investment in Mrs Biebers little phuck.

rct

Sure as hell wouldn't make a special trip there for it but if it was on the street that I'm passing through town on I would park and go in and have a look around.

Other than that for me it's just a glorified awards show you can walk around in.

But there's probly some cool stuff to see. If not I'd be really pissed...

You know what the best and only true rock hall of fame is? The fans of rock music.

Look at Rush. Been snubbed for so long by these pricks, yet they have the biggest most hardcore fan base of anyone on that list (maybe excluding Public Enemy...who are definitely more commercial).

Look at how they continue to snub KISS. Well, any band that has that kind of fan base, which is most hard rock/heavy metal bands. Iron Maiden will never get in because those critics don't understand the passion. That is why metal is overlooked in the mainstream: they don't get the passion. Hard rock and heavy metal has always been fan-oriented, not critic-oriented.

But you know what? None of these great bands give a **** because they have the best fans in the world, and that's all that matters. Not whether some ****** critic gave them a bad review (most of the critics that gave bad write-ups of Rush and KISS and what have you back in the 70s are gone....But Rush and KISS and the rest of those bands are still here and still huge so go figure!). People showing up at shows is all it takes. **** critics.

And the Hall Of SHAME seems to have an infatuation with bands/artists that make a liberal political statement...... I call that biased... Ted Nugent created more guitar players than Springsteen did...JUST SAYIN'....(no, I'm not implying that he, U2, and what have you suck)

They should just rename it The Music Hall of Fame.

But why should I care? It doesn't mean anything to me.

I don't plan on being anywhere near Cleveland in the future and if I did, the R&R HOF would be at or near the bottom of my list for visits.

Rock is rock...if it has roots in EDM and House it is still rock.

Rock is defiance. I don't think it has to have guitar and drums to be rock. Creed is not rock to me. Public Enemy is more FU than Creed. Public Enemy is more rock than Creed. Just my opinion, what do I know? [biggrin]

Went to the Rock Hall in 2003. We were on our way home from 9000 miles or so of driving around Americur, our first trip across and back, National Parks and stuff. So anyway, we were really looking forward to the R&RHall. Yawn. If you like costumes and stuff that Daltrey or Brittany wore it is ok. The inductees are about as noteworthy as grammy nominations. None of it has anything to do with music and everything to do with return on corporate investment in Mrs Biebers little phuck.

rct

It was a total disappointment to me. From walking in and being told I'd have to turn in my camera, to being guided to the exit through the souvenir $tore, total let down. Some things were mildly interesting but it was more of a music fashion show than a collective center of any historical value. I got my albums, my guitars, my memories and I've taught all my kids to play and they know the history. No need to go back........EVER.

They should just rename it The Music Hall of Fame.

But why should I care? It doesn't mean anything to me.

I don't plan on being anywhere near Cleveland in the future and if I did, the R&R HOF would be at or near the bottom of my list for visits.

This ^

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a extension of the endless awards machine of Hollywood, seems like every week there is a awards show on TV for these self absorbed self centered little priks to dress like fools and try to one up each other in the cheese department. Maybe one time out of twenty they get it right and award someone who deserves it. The rest of the time it's just a way for the producers to pat their lap dogs on the head.

I think the RNRHOF is threatened by the Grammy organization, mainly because the RNRHOF is in Ohio(?!?!?!?!?!).

Freed or not, Ohio was no Mecca for rock & roll. Ever. And won't ever.

It should have been built in New Orleans, which absolutely was THE place to be during the first wave of rock & roll (Little Richard, Ray Charles, & lots more recorded in NOLA first on purpose), or else New York. Memphis had Sun but Memphis wasn't a destination per se.

Change the goddamm name to the Pop Music Hall of Fame, at LEAST.

WOW! I sense a negative vibe here! I'm Still planning on visiting there as soon as I can make it back.

I sure hope I'm not disappointed.

I do agree that "Rock" is more about attitude that music.

And they could name it "The Moxie Museum." They could induct all kinds of people who don't even *like* music then. Or perhaps "The Chutzpah Hall of Fame."

I agree with those who commented on the "RNR" HOF's vapid absurdity - the ceremony wouldn't have been on my radar at all, but tickets fell into my lap. I certainly won't be back, or to the "RNR" HOF Museum. Heart stole the show & totally blew Rush out the water, FWIW.

Yesterday I saw a pic from the ceremony of Geddy and Neil playing with John Fogerty during the jam....I also saw one of Geddy posing with Tom Morello and one of the guys from Public Enemy....

I was a bit dumbfounded, to say the least...

I can only see Heart and Rush as being rock and roll and even then Rush is more of a prog rock band as opposed to a purely rock band.Although I'm not at all a fan of Rush-primarily due to Geddy Lee's soprano voice-I think that the time for them to be inducted is long overdue,especially when you see so many complete duds that have been inducted in the past.

As much as I absolutely idolize Albert King,he really doesn't fit in a rock and roll category because he's the essense of the blues right to the core.To see Donna Summers in the line up just further demonstrates that the RRHOF is a complete farce and really isn't the least bit relevant or indicative of the rock industry.These yearly list are so full of non-rock entities that it should really be called the "Middle of The Road Music Hall of Fame".

I can only see Heart and Rush as being rock and roll and even then Rush is more of a prog rock band as opposed to a purely rock band.Although I'm not at all a fan of Rush-primarily due to Geddy Lee's soprano voice-I think that the time for them to be inducted is long overdue,especially when you see so many complete duds that have been inducted in the past.

As much as I absolutely idolize Albert King,he really doesn't fit in a rock and roll category because he's the essense of the blues right to the core.To see Donna Summers in the line up just further demonstrates that the RRHOF is a complete farce and really isn't the least bit relevant or indicative of the rock industry.These yearly list are so full of non-rock entities that it should really be called the "Middle of The Road Music Hall of Fame".

I consider Albert King part of rock n' roll history, and Rush is much more than a prog band. Prog rock is a type of rock music so it counts! It was surely long overdue. It's an even bigger farce that Yes, King Crimson, and Emerson Lake & Palmer aren't in. Not that it matters, it's not a big honor from my perspective.

Archived