Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

BigKahune

My new year's resolution was to acquire a vintage series Gibson. When I heard that Gibson might turn out a replica of the 1943 SJ 2735-12 from JT's project I was pumped. Then JT came back with the news that it was not to be. But now I was GASing for a SJ TV. It took a while, but I finally found a winner - sounds, plays, and looks great. It's a used 2012 in mint condition. Love the way the hog warms the spruce. Very happy with my blinged out 45. . B)

2012SouthernJumbo1m_zpse17053b8.jpg

2012SouthernJumbo22m_zps5dd061b6.jpg

Big K ,

Great guitar . it looks stunning !!! =) I'm glad you found the perfect one !

can you elaborate on why JT's project will not come to reality ? ( John if you read this maybe you can explain)

I would like a SJ at some point but probably I'd like a 1950's (Aaron Lewis style) SJ ... I like those simple gold decals .

but your SJ looks might might fine ! I hope you enjoy it for years to come .

JC

Beautiful guitar! And a good slope shoulder has got to be one of the nicest puppys out there. It's pretty hard to beat that body style for the way it fits in your lap, and the way those puppies follow the cammands of their owners. The burst makes it even better!

... can you elaborate on why JT's project will not come to reality ? ...

Thanks for your kind comments JC. Regarding JT's project replicas: From what I read in his posts, I'm not sure JT knows exactly what happened. The hog sided J-45 was made and that's it. Here's a link to where the bad news first came out - http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/102910-my-1943-sjs-star-turn-in-michigan-history-magazine/page__view__findpost__p__1390615 . Read the thread from there for more info.

BTW, here's a 52 SJ, looks in good shape, ships international - http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1952-GIBSON-SOUTHERN-JUMBO-ACOUSTIC-GUITAR-w-LIFTON-CASE-ALL-ORIGINAL-/251301144655?pt=Guitar&hash=item3a82b7284f

That vintage SJ looks pretty good to me. Oddly, he says it has a 1 5/8" nut. I'm betting it's 1 11/16", and he just mis-measured.

And that new SJ looks really, really nice. Hard to beat an SJ, new, used, or vintage.

It's too bad there won't be a JT re-issue SJ. I was going to be the first in line for that one.

My new year's resolution was to acquire a vintage series Gibson. When I heard that Gibson might turn out a replica of the 1943 SJ 2735-12 from JT's project I was pumped. Then JT came back with the news that it was not to be. But now I was GASing for a SJ TV. It took a while, but I finally found a winner - sounds, plays, and looks great. It's a used 2012 in mint condition. Love the way the hog warms the spruce. Very happy with my blinged out 45. . B)

2012SouthernJumbo1m_zpse17053b8.jpg

2012SouthernJumbo22m_zps5dd061b6.jpg

Such a thing of beauty BigK... [love] ... I love the burst, the RW board and the fact that the PGuard placement is nice around the rossette....Happy for YOU, Bro.... [thumbup]

The 'only' thing better would be to put the 'butter bean' tuner knobs on her...For the correct 'vintage look'...

If it sounds and plays good....thats what really matters, however!

Funny how everyones New Year Resolutions are so different> Mine was to try and hang on to what I already have and keep my head above water.....Yikes!!!

...It's too bad there won't be a JT re-issue SJ. I was going to be the first in line for that one.

I was very disappointed about that cancellation. The whole idea really appealed to me. I also tried to find Sheryl Crow SJ to check out - a used Model 1 would've been in my price range, but I couldn't find one used. As it was I got the used TV for a over $1000 less than a new Sheryl Crow M1. And I absolutely love my TV - fantastic guitar.

Thanks for kind words guys. . B)

10 heps for the new purchase.

It's just such a convincing model and if you get the one that fits you, then YES man.

Looks exactly like it should, beautiful and not too blinged. Then there are the tulips.

I could live with, but they are the ones that stick out aren't they. Any thoughts on that classic Board-theme ?

Wonder 'bout the number of SJ's you did try before clicking - in how many places/shops and over how long a period.

You are a guy who knows what he's doin' – I see why you'ld pick an SJ to fill the gab between the J-200 and Martin D-45, but what are the reasons this particularly ex. got ya. . . .

Thanks Em.

Retrorod mentioned the butter beans would be correct. Funny that I've seen Banner SJs in both sets of six and 3-on-a plate, I'm assuming 3-on-a plate would be correct. I'm considering a change, but for right now I'm just enjoying the sound and playability.

Regarding the hunt: Frustrating. First there was the cancellation of JT's project SJ. Then, in my area there were only two SJ TVs to look at, one WG and no SC models. Online wasn't any better - fleaBay, Craigslist, etc. Apparently people acquire these babies and hang on to them. There was a nice one on fleaBay I left in reserve as I went to check out the two in my area. The one I ended up selecting was setup very close to my J-200. One strum and I was pulled in. That's what I look for in used - well setup and open fullness. And I've got to hear it in that first strum (an open G for me). After more playing, I found the sound to be spot on with my expectations - great projection and that wonderful balance between the hog and spruce - warmth, with a touch of darkness and a bit of an edge and sparkle from the spruce. Under a gentle hand it sounds fantastic, but it's able to handle a powerful hand without getting muddy. On top of all that, excellent intonation as well - in tune past 12. I don't think I'll be putting her down for quite some time. . B)

BK, congrats. Bets she still smells like new too! I think these represent the perfect compromise between a no-nonsense icon and a little decorative trim to keep it balanced. Understated, but not boring. And, of course, when someone hears it- they'll forget about the visual appeal! My eyes are turning green. I'm half a tank full of gas on this one!

Awesome BK, if that guitar is similar to my Aaron Lewis SJ then you have gotten yourself one heluva guitar. Would love to hear a sound sample, how about giving us one, we never hear anything from you here .... :rolleyes:

Oh, one small gripe ... being the tuner Natzi that I am would have preferred if they were butter beans, tulips belong on squares and the big jumbos ..

Enjoy !

• 1 month later...

Archived