Gibson Brands Forums

Linda Ronstadt is silenced...diagnosed with Parkinson's

jaxson50

We have lost one of the greatest vocalist, though she is still alive, her voice is silenced, she will never sing again, and soon will not be able to speak. What a loss, she announced to today that she probably has has it for the past seven years, she has noticed an increasing inability to control her voice..I miss her already, certainly one of the best ever.

http://social.entertainment.msn.com/music/blogs/reverb-blogpost.aspx?post=3f64ac27-a853-4289-bd74-905ae92e9e2c

This has struck me especially hard,for over ten years I watched my father as each day this terrible disease robbed him of a little more of his mobility and function,until it finally robbed him of his ability to breath.From the first time that I heard Linda singing with The Stone Ponies I have absolutely adored her and have always thought that she was the most beautiful woman who ever lived.I also think that she has the most beautiful voice that any mortal ever had. Even to this day I get goosebumps and a huge lump in my throat every time I hear her wonderful voice.When she covered Roy Orbison's "Blue Bayou" she made it her own,as she did "Desparado",nobody will ever top the way she covered these songs because her incredible voice made them impossible to better.She has a very difficult path ahead of her that will pale any other ordeals she has ever faced and I pray that God gives her the strength to endure and fight it every part of the way,and that he spares her a prolonged gauntlet of suffering.God Bless you Linda-you could never know how deeply you have touched me.

Well said Bonzo, like you I was a teenager when her first records came out with the Stone Ponies, I was blown away, her voice covered such a wide range and with so much power, the work she did with Nelson Riddle settled it, she was te best female singer to come out of the 60s. I am sorry for your loss with your father, I have lost a very good friend just a year ago to Parkinson's, it is a sad thing to watch. We should celebrate the fact that we have been blessed with these special people that touch our lives...

Thankyou Jaxson,I have that wonderful 2 CD set "'Round Midnight" that she did with Nelson Riddle and his Orchestra.She covered such timeless classics from the 30s and 40s as "I've Got A Crush On You"-which she also sang to Kermit on the Muppet Show-"Crazy He Calls Me" and her absolutely too beautiful for words to describe "When You Wish Upon a Star" the cover of that song alone would give a statue goosebumps.No matter what the genre she blew away all competition.

Geez.

Every time I turn around, something terrible in the world happens. Why, God, why?

I know what you mean kaleb!

"Why", IMHO, is because this is "Earth" & that is "Life!" She has had so many blessings all thru life however, like well all have if we look. I will not forget the meek LR playing as the backup band to Neil Young in about 72-73 when they came to town. Loved her right away after hearing Silver Threads & Golden Needles and other. Neil came out playing a Flying V and blew us all away too.

God Bless ya Linda, and hand tough. I've had friends with Parkinson's and they did pretty well for maybe 15 yrs with good care. Too short granted, but none of us have a warranty or "lifetime guarantee" do we? [sad] I could use some refurbished gear myself for the long haul.

Aster

We have lost one of the greatest vocalist, though she is still alive, her voice is silenced, she will never sing again, and soon will not be able to speak. What a loss, she announced to today that she probably has has it for the past seven years, she has noticed an increasing inability to control her voice..I miss her already, certainly one of the best ever.

http://social.entertainment.msn.com/music/blogs/reverb-blogpost.aspx?post=3f64ac27-a853-4289-bd74-905ae92e9e2c

I am so sorry to hear this news, she is one of my fav singers of all time. Such a great talent.

My mother-in-law has had Parkinson's over 10 years now and we are putting her in an assisted care facility next month. It's a terrible disease. It robs one of their motor functions, including voice and legs, then blood pressure problems so they fall daily, and finally the brain.

And there is no cure. The medication just masks some of the symptoms, but the add side effects of their own.

Sorry to hear that Linda. I hope they find a cure before it's too late for you.

Bob

I know what you mean kaleb!

"Why", IMHO, is because this is "Earth" & that is "Life!" She has had so many blessings all thru life however, like well all have if we look. I will not forget the meek LR playing as the backup band to Neil Young in about 72-73 when they came to town. Loved her right away after hearing Silver Threads & Golden Needles and other. Neil came out playing a Flying V and blew us all away too.

God Bless ya Linda, and hand tough. I've had friends with Parkinson's and they did pretty well for maybe 15 yrs with good care. Too short granted, but none of us have a warranty or "lifetime guarantee" do we? [sad] I could use some refurbished gear myself for the long haul.

Aster

All the above is true...however, to be robbed of one's "God given talent," by

such a disease, is so sad, almost cruel! But, no one ever said life was "fair!"

[cursing][crying]

Best Wishes, Linda! And, Thankyou, So Much, for all the wonderful music, you

were able to share with us!

CB

She was a great talent for sure. Boy, I sure hated to hear that news. Remember seeing her with the Stone Ponies long ago.

She dated a good friend of mine long ago, who himself has made it Very big. Best wishes Linda

Archived