Gibson Brands Forums

CrAcKhEaD Neighbor

JamGuy

If anyone has any insight into dealing with loser neighbors I'd love to hear your thoughts.

The situation... I've again been woke up in the middle of the night (3am) to the sound of gangster rap and what sounds like nuts and bolts being shaken around in a cardboard box. Almost anytime he seems to be there it's always the same clanking and banging around. I don't for the life of me know what he's up to but I suspect meth and/or mental illness. He's at it for days, and then quiet (or gone) for days, and always the banging around and making a ruckus of some sort. There are always hoochie looking women hanging around and frequently he's yelling at them. There's an 8 ft cyclone fence around his house (except for the 6 ft wooden fence that separates his back yard from mine... his pitbull actually cleared it one evening and ended up in my back yard. (My suggestion was to open the gate and let it run away but my girlfriend insisted on returning it.)

We live in a very liberal/hippy type community so having a huge locked fence with no trespassing signs posted to it seems a little out of place. Yesterday, it was bad R&B beginning at 7am, blasting from the open windows. Half the time he has blankets and towels blocking all the windows. Sometimes every light in the house is on and they're on and wide open for days. Two days ago he was power washing the roof... which itself doesn't seem that strange but in the context of what a freak he is seems par for the course. We've had to call the cops on him twice in the past... once for leaving his barking dog unattended for days and once for blasting terrible music for hours on end. (My god man, at least play some classic rock [smile] ). Unfortunately his Mom owns the house and he lives there alone so there's no hope of him going anywhere, except for perhaps rehab or a nuthouse. I wish that I could confirm my suspicion that he's on or even perhaps making meth so I could call the cops and have him drug away and the house seized.

Now, to be fair, I've not always been the perfect neighbor over the years, though at this address I've been well behaved. I've partied and had the cops called on me, had roommates with barking/trouble making dogs, and probably played my guitar too loud on several occasions (though I now try to keep a lid on it and play between 9am-9pm and close the windows). My point being that I know neighborhood life is not like living in the country but this day in, day out cracked out behavior is wearing my patience thin.

And so... it's 4:30 in the morning and I'm wide awake. Happy Labor Day. Cheers, JG

czgj.jpg

Hello!

First of all, try to find out what kind of personality (disorder) He has. Only then You can choose the right actions.

Try to get in touch with Him. Talk with Him. Find out everything about Him that you can.

Cheers... Bence

Check whether your local county council (or equivalent) has a policy on noise pollution.

Here, in south London, we can report completely unreasonable noise-making to the authorities and they will send out someone/a small team to assess the situation.

If they agree that the disruption is unfair to the other residents in the neighbourhood they have powers ranging from ordering the silencing of whichever apparatus - or group of people - is making the noise to, in extreme and/or repeat offenders, confiscating the equipment being used.

I wish you good luck in getting this situation resolved. I absolutely hate inconsiderately noisy neighbours...

P.

I have to be honest, I have no interest in talking with him. If I do end up having to call the cops on him again I don't want mine to be the face he remembers. I have spoken with his Mom... she was in the drive one time and I stopped and asked if she was the landlord. That's how I learned that she owned the house. She asked if there was any problem and I said, "Well, as a matter of fact..." and told her about calling the police for the dog and loud music. She basically said do what you need to do and even commented on how maybe it would do him some good.

If he wasn't such a nutter I'd be down to talk to him. I'm friendly with all the other neighbors but I don't want any sort of relationship with this guy. He seems shady and I don't trust him whatsoever.

I do appreciate your thoughts on the matter Bence...

Check whether your local county council (or equivalent) has a policy on noise pollution.

Here, in south London, we can report completely unreasonable noise-making to the authorities and they will send out someone/a small team to assess the situation.

If they agree that the disruption is unfair to the other residents in the neighbourhood they have powers ranging from ordering the silencing of whichever apparatus - or group of people - is making the noise to, in extreme and/or repeat offenders, confiscating the equipment being used.

I wish you good luck in getting this situation resolved. I absolutely hate inconsiderately noisy neighbours...

P.

Ditto

Ditto

plus 2......and have you ever noticed that jerk wads like that always always always always own a pitbull or a rotten weiner....you should have kept it and had it put down ( sorry dog lovers but it's reality) ..because I guarantee just knowing his type that he has trained it to be nasty and it's only a matter of time till it chews some little kids face off...Ok I know I will get hate from dog lovers over this but it's true because I have seen this several times before and there is no good outcome from this combination dog and own type.

Hello!

First of all, try to find out what kind of personality (disorder) He has. Only then You can choose the right actions.

Try to get in touch with Him. Talk with Him. Find out everything about Him that you can.

Cheers... Bence

This sounds more like drug, probably stimulant, use or true mental illness, possibly mania, or a combination of the two. I'm leaning towards drugs. If possible, I would continue to call authorities if I was you. I do not envy your position and hate to call when this kind of thing happens to me. For me, I try to live and let live unless someone is disturbing my sleep on a work night.

If you want privacy you should move out to a place with a large/secluded lot where there's lots of room between you and your neighbor's. The place I was in before I got laid-off my job and had to move back home was in a trailer but there was over 100 feet in between mine and the closest one to me and they where set-up end to end not side to side. I've always been a night person and some times played my drum's or guitar late at night, I never had any problem bothering any one as there was so much space between us they likely never heard me playing.

Invite him round for a drink and lock him in the basement. Do what you feel then. I'm 54 and I can't stand any hassle any more. I'd watch a horrible film and go an re-enact it on him.

The pawn shop scene in Pulp Fiction would fit in this situation.

Invite him round for a drink and lock him in the basement. Do what you feel then. I'm 54 and I can't stand any hassle any more. I'd watch a horrible film and go an re-enact it on him.

This is often what crosses my mind as a solution as well... I'm a huge fan of The Godfather movies and have been watching lots of episodes of Shameless lately so I have a dangerous arsenal of ideas in my head...none of which I would actually do, in case big brother is reading this.

Seriously though, I'll just deal with it as I have been. Calling the cops when things get out of hand. I understand the "move to the country" comment to some degree, if for no other reason so I could make noise but why should I have to move when this toolsack is the problem? Wanna make noise? Then close the windows! Wanna yell at your skanky girlfriend? Close the windows or at least get off the back porch and do it inside! He's not a "night person", he's up day and night being a turd. My other neighbor has back yard parties and shares a fence along the side yard and it's no big deal... she's respectful about it and it's not out of hand. I could care less about it... maybe because I find her taste in music more appealing and it's not BLASTING at all hours of the day and night.

As far as the dog... I hope it goes away. I've been poising rats in the back yard and with any luck one will crawl under the fence and the dog will eat it. I'm a dog lover but agree that a pitbull under the care of a loser is usually a bad situation. He neglects the poor thing half the time anyway... which might also be justification for calling the authorities.

In any event, it's been an amazingly productive day thus far... I'll probably need to take a nap this afternoon having been up before the pre-dawn but it's a holiday after all- the perfect day for lounging around in the hammock on a beautiful sunny day. [thumbup]

Most municipalities have very strict noise bylaws with a lot of them banning unnecessarily loud music or other noises between the hours of 11 PM and 7 AM. I'm sure that if your city has this type of ordinances the police would soon get tired of going to his house to investigate noise complaints and lay it firmly on the line that if it continues they'll charge him with being a public nuisance etc. Have you spoken much to other neighbours to get their views on his erratic behaviour and hours? If enough of your neighbours are fed up with his constant racket you may get results if you presented your complaints to your city's council and got the town itself to enforce the law and maybe even threaten the homeowner for allowing this to go on on her property even though she's not the inhahitant.If you put the idea in the ears of the police that he may be dealing in or manufacturing illicit drugs,they may get serious and raid his house while one of his parties are going on and most certainly they would find illicit drugs-that would get him out of your hair for a while-or even a long time if they find a large amount.Good luck,I'd hate to be in your shoes,that's part of the reason I moved to the boonies,to avoid the noise and lack of privacy of the city.

So if I were in that situation...

Would at least talk to him in a friendly way to let him know my minimum expectations. What happens next would be based on how that discussion goes.

Also would talk to the other surrounding neighbors to see if they have the same issues and if so, what they are doing about it.

May also call the cops out just to talk to them and see if they have history with him and what they suggest if you want to try to be a "good neighbor".

I feel your pain brother.

Until recently I have had either great,, or "tolerable" neighbors.

Until recently I now have the worst neighbors I have ever had.

This guy and his family are complete idiots. From him snowblowing his crap on my windows,, yes right on my windows,, to his looser friends throwing empty beer cans in my backyard.

Ya ok,, so he's not a crackhead but far as I'm concerned he is a d!kwad.

What the hell do you do about a$$holE neighbors???

Move? no, that's ridiculous. Why the fVck should I move because of some sh!t for brains idiot? And you have no idea of your new neighbors who could be just as bad or worse.

My plan is to be just as much of a d!ckhead. Trust me,, I have tried to reason with this knob but he has no concept of other people or their rights..

Nope,, I am going to become a **** myself.

And yes,, I can live with that.

My only hope is they move.

Spoiled rich pricks whose parents buy them everything...

I hate people like that.

Silver spoon leeches with zero concept of real life.

Having bad neighbors is one of the worst situations to be involved in. My recommendation is to be friendly and tolerant for as long as you can. We reap what we sew, and their karma WILL catch up to them eventually. Being prepared to defend yourself is always a good idea.

I have had to call the code enforcement officer on my nitwit neighbors, one of which has a fire pit in their backyard, right next to my fence and he loves to burn scrap 2x4s and other kiln dried wood, which he then allows to smolder all night...the other one like to stack crap in his front yard...I once had a neighbor who liked to play real loud rap, some what I did was, wait until he was asleep then I put on a Waylon Jennings album on my 500 watt stereo and aimed my JBL studio monitors right at his house and cranked it to 10. Never has a problem after that..

Thanks all for the suggestions...

Regarding blowing up the house/cooking meth, that is a concern... Funny, late yesterday afternoon the house went dark and he's either on a three day sleep or gone again, though he left the dog outside so I know he'll be back. I think I'm going to take a little trip to the police station today and talk with an officer. I spoke with a neighbor about him yesterday and she had to call the cops because some woman was running from his house screaming for help... I guess I missed that episode thankfully. This guy is just a loser all the way around.

We don't have a HOA or anything like that... hell, the whole neighborhood would be in trouble, myself included (I've got a fire pit in my backyard :rolleyes:... though I seldom use it and when I do don't let it smolder all night) I agree with someones post about live and let live, and so long as I'm not getting woken up in the middle of the night I'm happy to do so. I slept like a rock last night so no worries... it's all good for now.

Archived