Gibson Brands Forums

Remember Your First Gibson?

Fullmental Alpinist

sal- Mike Meyers was one of the new guys to me - Aakeroyd and Belushi filled my screen...

My first Gibson was a used J-45 TV, and I chased down the Fed-Ex truck. Almost pee-ed my pants when I saw him go by that day without stopping, and I've got the new grey hairs to prove it. [scared] I locked my office door, put the phone on hold, and played until my fingers bled - literally. The guitar had been previously owned by guitar god David Hidalgo who apparently likes his action high-wire height. Yes, I remember that day. I was much more of a nerd basket case than our Danish fellow in the video. Of course, there are those that would argue strongly that I am a nerd basket case almost all the time... [crying]

Pretty cute! Thanks for sharing this with us, Dan.

My first Gibson was a mid-1970s Hummingbird. I loved that guitar. Over time, though, I came to discover how awful it was.

I've since acquired many Gibsons, most lately about a year ago when I acquired my favorite: the went-to-WWII SJ,

My first Gibson was a used one, it belonged to a former bandmate, and I knew it from adjusting it before I started to play myself. Nevertheless it was much more exciting for me...

The guitar of this guy in the video was tuned half a note flat out of the box - they seem to do it this way at Gibson since all of my new Gibsons I got to know right out of the box came tuned that way.

Yep...it was a new early 70's J50 with a slotted bridge/saddle setup that I bought new in Albany NY. It must have been a not so great instrument because I found a '62 Goya S18 that beat the pants off it. That cost me a hundred bucks at Manny's. The Gibson, at $850 new, went bye-bye. I'm still a fool for old Goya/Levins. The Xbraced ones, of course.

My first Gibsons were all electric til I bought a battered LG 2 with a script logo in a pawn shop in 71 or so.

Love at first sight it was. Wish I still had it, but I sold it one night to a guy who made me an offer after I finished a gig. How's that for dim? A working guitarist selling his only guitar?

Fact is, I'd had a wee dram or two. And I needed the money--I'd already put a chunk down on another guitar.

Mine was in the early to mid 70s. It was an es-335 (actuallya 330 with humbucking pickups installed). I was almost exclusively a bassplayer. I started lessons from a very reputable instructor and he told me I needed to learn a rhythm instrument. I chose the guitar over the piano. A bandmember's brother had the converted es330 with a broken neck by the head stock. I bought it and had it repaired by a local luthier. I eventually traded it for a j160, a trade that I definitely regret. At the time it was just another instrument in my possession serving a need.

The year was 1963 and I traded a Rickenbacker electric and some cash for a new J45, cherry sunburst. My bandmates thought I had lost my mind. I later needed to hock it when I was in the Air Force. Got a whopping $60. For it. I think the guy saw me coming and delighted in the plight of poor service men and women.

RB

Bought my first Gibson (a battered 1948 J-45) off the wall of a music store in Jackson, Mississippi in 1966. It was my first real guitar, after my $5 Mexican steel-string conversion.

I can't even describe how excited I was, although I didn't know a J-45 from a hole in the ground. I just knew it was a Gibson, and I wanted it.

Still have that sucker 47 years later.

A guy in Denmark videos himself opening the box on his new guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rmklJv90lw

Remember receiving your first (or latest) Gibson?

FMA

He is pretty cool about the whole thing, isn't he?

Perhaps he has opened a few too many guitar boxes, but I would never have taken the time to do a VIDEO! I can't believe it, really. Talk about putting the MOZZ on it - what if he opened it and it was in 50 pieces? Phew....

My first Gibson was an early 80s Les Paul Custom which weighed about 35 Pounds and moved my neck an inch to the left, sounded pretty sh********* and put me off Gibsons for the next 20 years.

My first Gibson acoustic guitar was my moniker - the Gibson Blues King and I bought it on a busy, busy Saturday morning in the busiest cafe strip in town and had to walk past all the La De Das with my famous yellow Blues King bag! Give me a ticket for an aeroplane and the last train to Clarkesville and nothing would embarrass me about being the Blues King again! Here is a pic of night time at the cafe strip - all I could find, but daytime is worse, maybe:

http://www.stonnington.vic.gov.au/IgnitionSuite/uploads/images/stonnington1163666.jpg

BluesKing777.

The first Gibson I wanted was a '69 (in '69) ES335. I couldn't afford it so I bought an Ovation look alike.

I got a lot of use out of that guitar. Still in great condition but I've pretty much retired it.

The first Gibson I bought was a 2005 Chet Atkins Country Gentleman. It's still my dream semi-hollow body guitar.

I'm still looking for my dream acoustic. I've been going through a lot of them over the past three years.

As some of you know..I'm just a Gibson pup..acquired ..3 years ago ? ( man time flies dont it )

but my first was a HB TV....I had wanted one for 20 odd years

WOW...the smell of her...the case...the nectar..honey...syrupy tone ...I sat and just looked at her for about a month...what a beautiful thing

now I've got my J35...Hummingbird...what ?

Well the guy is in control, still clearly does a swallow-move just after opening, before the 'first impression'.

You can see satisfaction in his kind eyes, but surely not the wild appetite that presumably rolled over the Stones camp when they got theirs in '65.

Maybe he's one of those calm reasonable Scandinavian types similar to birch firewood – so white and straight on the surface, yet seriously flaming when first lit up ;-)

Anyway – the G-effect is there and congs to this generous demonstrator.

I for my more savage part premiered with a square J-50 back in 1980.

Won't mention the N-word, but it soon became clear that the guitar only was working after midnite – and solo.

In company with my acoustic band's Yamaha and Morris it sank like a brick.

Embarrassing and sad. How green E-minor7 tried to embrace it. In vain.

Then the whole thing was optimistically repeated with the next purchase – a burst square 45.

After that I broke down in a trauma from which I only recovered these the last 3 years !*.

Being young, wanting a high-end guitar and suddenly being able to afford it.

Choosing Gibson over Martin and being so let down without ever knowing why : Those 2 damn X'es.

A sound, , , a fantastic sound had left the culture and disappeared for decades. I even learned to pretend it never existed.

Long live Ren Ferguson.

*Yes 3 years is nothing with a Gibson in your hands, Del - still haven't found out if your blind Bird has flown.

Oh I remember my first one well, it was unplanned.

We were in NYC and stumbled into Matt Umanov's guitars where I played a whole bunch of vintage Gibsons, many out of my price range. Played a few more newer ones at Rudy's and Mando Bros, but came back to Umanov and really fell for the 69er, when it was still a CW. Couldnt walk out wihout it, the Mrs said I should buy it and that was it. Walking down Bleecker with a stupid grin on my face.

I was quite paranoid as it came with the original, very beatun up case and I thought it will get crushed on the fligth back. But luckily I was able by miracle to store inside the above compartment inside the plane.

Here is a pic when I first bought her back in the hotel room .... will never forget that day, dream come true to own my own Gibson accoustic. [smile]

Gibby.jpg

Larry , my friend who had just gotten married showed up one afternoon with a 59 Gibson Les Paul Jr. He got at Christmas when he was 12 ...Cheery red double cutaway and a Ampeg reverb rocket amp ..... He needed cash ....he said he'd take $50....... I paid him 50 bucks for both....wish I had that guitar now. That was in 1971. I gifted it to my guitar playing nephew who lived in San Diego in the 80's and was in a band called Orange Crush...

He had it for 1week before it was stolen....... [crying]

Archived