Gibson Brands Forums

Five most overrated players

jaxson50

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually pretty much completely agree with this list. They are all very good guitar players but overrated still. Another name that I would put there would catch me a bunch of heat, but Joe Bonamassa. Again, a fantastic guitar player but I dont feel like he is burning it up with originality. I feel like I have already heard all of his stuff somewhere else. I agree with the writer when he says being overrated is actually somewhat of a compliment. To be overrated you have to be good. Those guys are all good, just not as good as they are given credit for being.

Yngwie to me is the definition of overrated, a ton of talent but I cant even sit and listen to an entire song. Its a ton of notes crammed in a bar with no soul.

I agree with the person who suggested any article putting down such respected players is merely mischief-making. Why do it other than to cause an argument?

...But how about underated?...

From the end of the editorial;

"I’m going to suggest that tomorrow we talk about underrated guitarists, just to cleanse the pallet."

I'm guessing he means 'palate'...

P.

Hey, we can have fun with this! (Not necessarily bad, just overrated.)

Ace Frehley

Bruce Springsteen

Lou Reed (though I like his stuff)

George Thorogood (though I like his stuff)

Neil Young (though I like his stuff)

Dishonorable mention: John Lennon, Brian May, Pete Townsend, Ted Nugent, Paul Stanley

I misread this group. I thought you'd be all over this thread. Maybe in the old days.

Bongo, I respectfully disagree. I think to be overrated, you must be technically lacking, but have a large fan base or receive undeserved praise for ability. That is why I would not agree with Yngwie, or Joe B., or John Mayer as overrated.

I think a player can have all the knowledge in the world, technically strong and still be overrated. At some level an emotional connection has to be made, BB King is not the fastest, or the most technically advanced player in the world, but I would think it a safe bet to say he has been the inspiration for more players then Segovia, and I love Segovia! The difference bettween Yo Yo Ma and every other Cello player in history.....Yo Yo plays with so much love and passion for his instrument and music, that even people who hate classical music can't help but be drawn into his performance. He is the real deal, the whole enchilada!

From the end of the editorial;

"I’m going to suggest that tomorrow we talk about underrated guitarists, just to cleanse the pallet."

I'm guessing he means 'palate'...

P.

Lol,, I don't know,, those pallets get pretty soiled warehousing all those goods and getting forklifted around.

They prolly need a good cleansing.

Good catch Pippy.

I misread this group. I thought you'd be all over this thread. Maybe in the old days.

Bongo, I respectfully disagree. I think to be overrated, you must be technically lacking, but have a large fan base or receive undeserved praise for ability. That is why I would not agree with Yngwie, or Joe B., or John Mayer as overrated.

I think a player can have all the knowledge in the world, technically strong and still be overrated. At some level an emotional connection has to be made, BB King is not the fastest, or the most technically advanced player in the world, but I would think it a safe bet to say he has been the inspiration for more players then Segovia, and I love Segovia! The difference bettween Yo Yo Ma and every other Cello player in history.....Yo Yo plays with so much love and passion for his instrument and music, that even people who hate classical music can't help but be drawn into his performance. He is the real deal, the whole enchilada!

I think both youse guys are right.

It's hard to stomp on anyone's technical ability even when it becomes boring.

You still gotta admire the work they put into their craft.

And to say a less technical guitarist who can pierce your guts with one note is overrated seems naive to me.

It's way to subjective to even be relevant.

But we can have some fun with it so what the hell.

So my vote for the most overrated guitarist is ALL of them.

For every known guitarist out there gracing the pages of Guitar mags everywhere, there is a million others

sitting at home who didn't get the break to the big time and are merely entertaining people in their little

neck of the woods.

And no,, I'm not talking about me,, I'm just a bedroom hack.. lol

But I know several amazing players who didn't get to the right place at the right time.

I think Jack White is a great singer, I love his vocals. His song writing is pretty decent too. I think some of the forum members in here play better guitar that Jack White.

[laugh] I think that's what I was thinking, I mean he is hardly the best ever, very workmanlike player - gets the job done and great songwriting, but like you say not as good as some forum members here. [thumbup]

1378914990[/url]' post='1423999']

I think both youse guys are right.

It's hard to stomp on anyone's technical ability even when it becomes boring.

You still gotta admire the work they put into their craft.

And to say a less technical guitarist who can pierce your guts with one note is overrated seems naive to me.

It's way to subjective to even be relevant.

But we can have some fun with it so what the hell.

So my vote for the most overrated guitarist is ALL of them.

For every known guitarist out there gracing the pages of Guitar mags everywhere, there is a million others

sitting at home who didn't get the break to the big time and are merely entertaining people in their little

neck of the woods.

And no,, I'm not talking about me,, I'm just a bedroom hack.. lol

But I know several amazing players who didn't get to the right place at the right time.

I agree, the writer of the piece comments that one of his picks only plays two notes at a time, but a lot can be said for keeping it simple and uncluttered, it depends on what the player is trying to accomplish. The era of the " super group" like Blindfaith produced great show bands, but few memorable recordings that had lasting power, I doubt most people today would recall a single song recorded by any of the 1970s studio super groups, sure they were great to watch. But simple catchy tunes that grabbed you wasn't their goal, they were live performance bands, not hit making machines. Putting together a bunch of phenomenal instrumentalist is not a guarantee of success. Arrangement is as important if not more so then individual ability. My point is, the guy who only records with two notes may be doing so because that is what he feels the piece calls for, or perhaps that is what the writer of the song wanted, that does not mean he can not put more then two notes together. Listen to The Rolling Stones Give Me Shelter, Mick players a harmonica line with just two notes through the whole piece. Most people don't even catch that, because it works so well in the song...

Well, it's pretty subjective...IMHO. For me, the only players

that are "overrated," are those that haven't grown, progressed,

and live off past glories. Outstanding technique, is wonderful,

and should always be a goal, for any guitarist. But, it's like

the old saying goes, "learn it, well enough, to forget about it,"

when actually playing! My guitar "hero's" are not those that

play blindingly fast, or with "too many notes," but those that play

from the heart, and to tastefully "fit" within the song.

As most of us know, guitar is one of the easiest instruments, to

learn to play, but one of the most difficult to learn to play WELL!

And, one that does (and, should) require a lifetime of learning,

and experimenting.

CB

So lets apply the same question to players of other instruments. Did the drummer play to many or to few notes? Was the organist playing enough notes?That is my point. In the case of U2, Edge is not only a guitarist, with his footboard he takes the place of a key board player...it's like comparing a synth player to a pianist.The keyboard may appear to be the same as a piano but it is not the same, is it?

LOL...The Edge...

How can he be overrated?

He himself will tell you he is not a great guitarist, he will tell you how limited his skills are.

He is not really a guitar idol in the same plane as others, yet the guy has written great songs and developed a style and signature sound around his limited skills and has been very successful at it. From that perspective I could relate more to him than any of my own guitar idols.

Yet, every time his name comes up "real" guitars players shred him to pieces. Laughable really.

I don't even know who EDGE is.

I couldn't name anything Malmsteem has ever done, (and couldn't pick him out of a lineup).

Mayer is okay...but such a butthole, (and looks weird when he sings).

Santana is good...but not anything to write home about, (although he's put together some GREAT bands!).

White is another that I couldn't name a single thing he's ever done, (is he in a group?).

So not sure "overrated" is correct for any of them..... I don't find them much 'rated' at all.

Overrated to me would be someone who is considered a 'guitar god' but isn't 'all that'

Such as Jimmy Vaughn, (love his stuff, but he works too hard and was always overshadowed by his little brother),

Buddy Guy, (again like his stuff, but he's not in the same league as say, Beck or Paige).

Influential? Jimi, SRV, BB, Clapton, EVH.

I don't even know who EDGE is.

Overrated to me would be someone who is considered a 'guitar god' but isn't 'all that'

And this is exactly what it should be!!!

But some people confuse it with personal taste or perceived fame level with the concept and somehow based their opinion on that.

I hate Jazz guitar, can't stomach it but you will never hear me say Paul Metheny is overrated or boring.

I've got to be honest here...my faith has just been restored. Its nice to FINALLY see others with the same opinions as myself...be they right or wrong. I truly love seeing names of guys that can't play their way out of a wet paper bag (IMO) being mentioned as over rated. Truer words have never been spoken (IMO).

This sort of topic to me, is just a slippery slope.

I have names to add to the list, sure,, but - some people would think I'd lost my marbles if they saw some of the people I'd put down.

The only thing I will say is Don't get Jack White, I honestly think he sucks..

that said,,

I'm just going to sit back and watch the fur fly..

Archived