Gibson Brands Forums

How did 2013 RATE for you?

Aster1

In the top 2 of years (out of 53) for me.

Bought our dream house.

Wife doing well in grad school.

Job is great.

Son graduated Phi Beta Kappa with a gpa of 3.8 with MBA (he had seizures, special ed growing up, severe learning disabilities) - very hard work and determination.

Got a new figured ES 335.

Happy New Year to all,

Phil

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the inevitable creep of old age and a new list of health challenges I voted a "Meah" year too! However reading here I realise that we are actually going pretty well compared to some of you, and for that I am extremely grateful.

One of the hardest things we had to do was put our beloved Border Collie Jess down due to the ravages of arthritis earlier this year.

We held her as she died (just like Bender did) and understand the raw pain that he must have felt. I've done some hard things in my life but this one was right up there, and many months later I still can't think about it. We did it for her, and it was right.

Unfortunately as you approach 70 you start to leave a lot of friends, acquaintances and sometimes relatives behind, in fact sadly, the only time I get to wear a suit now is for funerals. It makes you appreciate the fact that you are still alive and to look at what you've got, not what you wish you had. The love of family and friends to me means far more than possessions at this stage of my life anyway.

I'm trying to focus on what I "can" still do rather than all the things I now "can't" do, because otherwise it just brings unhappiness.

I guess all things considered I would rate 2013 better than a a "Meah" now I've thought a bit more about it.

I guess any year we see through to the end is actually a good year, despite the difficulties encountered.

Hope that 2014 is a good year for you all and thanks Aster, good idea for a thread.

Hail Gibby Forumites & Salutations from your Brothers in the Epi Lounge...

I voted BAD...

I lost my job in April &, now at 52, are having extreme difficulty finding another.

My previously fully occupied 8 wall mounted guitar holders now tenuously hold 3.

I am anxious 24/7 about my family's financial security & what that means for our future.

& I don't even wanna think about those ever present potentials that might have seen me call 2013 an AWFUL year [scared]

That said, 'Good Vibes' are headed out to y'all for 2014 [thumbup]

I voted meah

not good or bad

I've not had a bad year,had to work harder and longer hours to earn the same as previous years.

still having to care for our son who has aspergers among other things,not easy when he's 22, puts a strain on life but I have a new granddaughter and picked up a 335 for my 50th birthday so life can still have it's good points. :rolleyes:

it's a struggle but I know I can look to the future and try as always to strive to provide my family with the best of everything they need

happy new year to everyone on the Gibson forums may we all have a better 2014

I got 2 Gibson LP's (very nice indeed), but also received 2 broken Epiphone SG's (mail order), so...meh. :-k[bored][unsure] <_< Both parents passed (rip), got a few amps and another manufacturer's guitars (gasp). Other than that, my life has been quite routine, same thing every day...which isn't too bad (get up, go on computer, make tea, play guitar, check email, check facebook, check forums, go to the soup kitchen for lunch, come home, go on computer, check email, check facebook, check the forums, have dinner, entertain guests that may stop by (and usually do), play guitar with my "students" (kids friends that want to play better than they already do). Practice and play a duet tune or 3, prepare supper, have supper, go on internet, check email, check facebook, check forums, play guitar until bed time, go to bed, get up, do it all again.

I do believe 2014 may be somewhat better, only time will tell.

Happy New Year [biggrin][thumbup]

It was the worst year of my life. My dad died. My dog died. I have a slipped disc and I've had a knee op. I've avoided bankruptcy by the skin of my teeth. I've lost 7 months off work and I'm self employed and live on my own. Need I add more?

I will add..my dog dying 6 weeks ago has given me more pain than I have ever experienced. She was my world. The loss I feel is unexplainablrre and the feeling of not wanting to go on gets greater. So. 2014? We'll see.

Lash,

My husband and I had a lot of the same experiences as you have. We are hanging on to our house by our fingernails and we lost my husband's dad and our very first dog we ever adopted within hours of one another. We miss them both terribly. Every Eagles game that is on, my husband goes to call his dad only to have it occur to him that his dad isn't there. When we go to feed our dogs in the morning, we call for Willow and she doesn't come running, only for us to realize she's never gonna come running again. We don't have children and she was like our first born. It kills us everyday!

Please hang on. If you ever need to talk, just drop a line.

Over all I would rate 2013 as a relatively good year.

I went from occasional part time work (say 1 or 2 days a week) to working a 9 day fortnight. Yes its still only part time and yes I had to think out side the square. Yes I have to travel 61/2hr a day 9 days out every 14 but hey I gotta job that pays, and I live 3Iives at once: I have my life at home (which I treasure), my life at work (which is never dull) and my life on a train (where I sleep mainly ha). Its allowed me to pay off my debts, buy my cool bass (see avatar) get some gear(amps and stuff) and basically feel like a contributing human again

Yep my poor old dad coped a beating at the hands of a cow, but he's tough and pulled through though still not firing on all 8 cylinders yet. :rolleyes: I buried a couple of friends, saw a few more get lost on drugs. But as long as I can continue to wake up alive, I will continue to smile at all I pass by.

Over all I would rate 2013 as a relatively good year.

I went from occasional part time work (say 1 or 2 days a week) to working a 9 day fortnight. Yes its still only part time and yes I had to think out side the square. Yes I have to travel 61/2hr a day 9 days out every 14 but hey I gotta job that pays, and I live 3Iives at once: I have my life at home (which I treasure), my life at work (which is never dull) and my life on a train (where I sleep mainly ha). Its allowed me to pay off my debts, buy my cool bass (see avatar) get some gear(amps and stuff) and basically feel like a contributing human again

Yep my poor old dad coped a beating at the hands of a cow, but he's tough and pulled through though still not firing on all 8 cylinders yet. :rolleyes: I buried a couple of friends, saw a few more get lost on drugs. But as long as I can continue to wake up alive, I will continue to smile at all I pass by.

and so it goes...dig it.

AndyK, while our granddaughter is not autistic, the results of her affliction are about the same. She's spent at least 1/4 of her life in Children's Hospital. There is a long list of reasons why she is where she is now, that's way too complicated to go over. But suffice it to say, where she's at right now, at 6 y.o. (but like a two y.o.), is a good as it will ever be. And every seizure she has now seems to push her back a little. I've wondered what she will be like at 18 and understand what a difficult time it can be. These are special kids that need special people to help them through life and it's amazing how they seem to find them. My son has stuck it out through all of this and it has turned him from a "no load", into a loving, caring father that will do anything for his daughter. Good steady job and taking some responsibility for providing for his family. Another one of life's little miracles.

As far as 2013, I'd rate it about in the middle, between good and bad. The wife was diagnosed with breast cancer on New Years Day. After several sub-optimal reconstructive surgeries, she's still testing negative for reoccurence, but not happy with surgeon and his results. So, it's off to another one to clean things up and move on. Cancer is a specter that never seems to go away. So the good news is, she's clean, the bad is that she even had to go through it. Anything I would have to complain about is minor, compared to any of that. Here's to a better year!

I voted great. There's been very little to complain about this past year. One band did very well and seems fairly stable, as far as those things go when you are all day job types. Our son graduated from college, and after several years of economic instabiltiy, things seem to be settling in. I got laid off in 2009 and had some really thin years, but 2012 was the best year we ever had economically. 2013 wasn't as good from a pure cash flow standpoint, but it was better because I was deliberately simplifying instead of being forced to for once. Being able to make a choice about what I work I wanted to do is a luxury I have never experienced before. My wife is happy with her work. Our son is struggling to get established, but that's no surprise for a young person who is pursuing music. My father had some health scares, but he came through them OK. He's going to be 80 in 2014, so things are gong to start happening to him. If he powers through like he has so far, it's great. Any time left on the planet with him is a blessing at this point. So, life is good for me for now. I feel a little sheepish about how good I have it, relative. I don't feel like I completely deserve such good fortune, but I'll take it and say thanks.

Here's an example of how eerily good things are going. My wife's car was stolen last Monday. That was a downer, but it was an old car with almost 212K miles on it. Replacing it would cost us, but we figure that's probably coming in the next year or two anyway. Then, the police found it three days later, parked in a parking lot. There was a bit of teenager junk food mess in it, but nothing bad and no damage to the car. I got it checked over yesterday, and it has a clean bill of health. They say it could last another 100K miles. So, even when things go bad, they turn out well. I just hope the karma doesn't turn.

I voted 'bad' then read all of your posts. Kinda want to take it back and count my blessings. Bad financial pressure, moved rented house third time in three years, long term stress taking its toll. It's never all bad though.

I guess I put in Meh largely because I'm old. <grin> I can't physically do what I could do at my peak when I was 35-45. (Kids, keep training, the best in many physical activities ain't in your 20s.)

But I'm alive, have a job with a paycheck that doesn't bounce, decent health... Just not the time to play, nor the "toys" as I did back in the days of a better overall economy.

So... compared to many, I guess it ain't all that bad at all.

m

I voted before most had cast votes and chose 'Great' because it was, all things considered, a lot better than I expected it to be (by a long shot).

Having read the subsequent posts I clearly underestimated how fortunate I have been relative to many fellow forumites.

I wish each one of you a great 2014, of course, but most of all I wish it for those who have had such a terrible time in 2013.

Sorry for the Schmaltz, it goes without saying.

P.

I can't be the only one with a disabled child - feel free to talk. It helps sometimes.

My niece is two and has Down syndrome, Her parents, my wife's sister and brother-in-law, are super positive and upbeat. They benefit greatly from the support of other parents enduring similar challenges. Sophie is a sweet child, but obviously we are all worried about what the future holds for her.

To all having troubles, good times DO come back around. To all having good times I'm sure glad to hear that moving. Hope all the grief passes for those with the heavy loses. Never forgotten, but not such heavy hearts finally arrive I've found.

I'm back to setting my course to "manufacturing a GREAT (would settle for GOOD) New Year 2014. Let's all see what we can do and help the others down with a hand up, and a prayer!

Glad some of our Brothers & Sisters from the Epi side have joined in. It's all good and all Gibson/Epi! Happy New & a Great year to Gibson to. Even with our grumbling some, we all own Epi's & Gibby's and love to play them.

Thanks, & keep the messages coming.

Aster

I voted. 2013 was pretty good. after being laid off for nearly 2 years i got a job. very physical work, so it reminds me everyday of my age. residual issues from a motorcycle accident 20 yrs ago are making themselves known loud and clear. my 2 youngest daughters moved out of the house so now its just my wife and i and our dog Boris. he's a 10 yr old Boxer and fortunately very healthy. he's my best buddy. my next to youngest daughter graduated college. my mom is alive and healthy.

my heart goes out to all of you that have experienced the loss of family and pets.

We sure have a lot of great dog lovers here on the forums!!! [thumbup] Also, so many that have or are loosing loved ones (human or pet friends). I guess we can't escape that one heavy hearted thing.

Also, so much strife with the job market. My BIG wish, for this side and the other side of the pond, is that our Govs. & businesses get out of the way in the job growth and let all what are wanting work, get back to work!! Not in a political way, but in just the way it is. Everyone here seems to know the value of work (even more than to buy nice new guitars [biggrin]). It is quite hurtful to read so many are struggling and are trying their best to support themselves & family, but work opportunities are tight. Or they have some business that is not treating them right. That don't work either. The business MUST make great profits, but not beat their workforce to death. Everyone that's wanting/needing work back to work with meaningful employment in 2014 that's my wish!! Everyone that's finished their hard work careers and now lucky enough to retire, THANKS FOR THE GREAT JOB & HAPPY RETIREMENT. Enjoy it to the fullest! [biggrin] [biggrin]

2013 was good. I survived it, hopefully. Our daughter is doing good her in vocal performance major in school, saved two great shelter dogs, and my wife and myself are doing ok. 9yC5XJ4.gif Happy New Year folks.

Hi Ya'll,

2013 is rapidly heading to the can and soon 2014's door opens. Just wondering how you all saw, received, or experienced 2013 as a year. Yes, I know we should consider it a "GREAT" year if we're still here, have a place to live, food to eat, etc. and I agree with that. If we nitpick beyond that, you know how we perceive the year to our "expectations" maybe, how would you rate it?

For me it was # 3. MEAH. Nothing bad, Nothing Good for the year. Kind of a MEAH year for business, weather, vacation etc. All pretty MEAH. I have had too many #4 & #5 years before so overall MEAH is pretty good by comparison. To me great years have things like a real happy feel, had great times with family & friends, had a really memorable/enjoyable vacation, went on a great road trip on the bike. Stuff like that there. Rarely buying things pull the numbers up or down with the year's rating.

So, What's ya think. Vote early & vote often!!

BTW, Happy New Year to ya too!!!

P.S. I enjoy walks with our dogs & my Personal Nurse (my wife) as they help clear my head a bunch. While on a walk this week, and pontificating on the year with her, I proclaimed we had a MEAH year because we "planned" and put energy forth for a "MEAH" year. If we wanted a GOOD or GREAT year we have to manufacture it with thought & deed. You get out what you put into it type of deal is what I reckon.

For me business wise It was a much better than 2012, thank God. Family wise it was a good although I wish for my son that the light bulb would turn on in his head and say gee dad was right about some of the things that he's been saying. In any case Happy New Year to all.

For me business wise It was a much better than 2012, thank God. Family wise it was a good although I wish for my son that the light bulb would turn on in his head and say gee dad was right about some of the things that he's been saying. In any case Happy New Year to all.

Edlo, my son was still a mess at 26. He got busted (again), and the judge threw the book at him, but eventually let him enter rehab, (18 months).

By the time he was done with his rehab, he was back in college, (he's since graduated). had a steady job, and his life was back on track.

He's now 34, is a 'health nut', no drinking, smoking, drugs, has an unbelievable job as a systems administrator for an IT firm, is looking to buy a house in San Jose.

I was a screw-up as a kid, but I was minor-league next to this kid...and he's knockin' 'em dead now..... chin up.... the light bulb could still come on!

Edlo, my son was still a mess at 26. He got busted (again), and the judge threw the book at him, but eventually let him enter rehab, (18 months).

By the time he was done with his rehab, he was back in college, (he's since graduated). had a steady job, and his life was back on track.

He's now 34, is a 'health nut', no drinking, smoking, drugs, has an unbelievable job as a systems administrator for an IT firm, is looking to buy a house in San Jose.

I was a screw-up as a kid, but I was minor-league next to this kid...and he's knockin' 'em dead now..... chin up.... the light bulb could still come on!

Thanks Dan, glad to hear your son has his life in order. My kid has a good head on his shoulders, but he just refuses to take anybody's advice. And he has done some pretty dumb things, never into drugs or stuff like that. But he has to at some point stop and think that people are trying help him. Have a safe and happy new year.

It seems like it is an eternal process. We all did it to our parents to some degree and our children do it to us to some degree. Some more than others. It is one of those endless things that humans seem to have to do. I wonder why we evolved to be such knuckleheads before we get on with it.

I wish for my son that the light bulb would turn on in his head and say gee dad was right about some of the things that he's been saying. In any case Happy New Year to all.

I waited for 20 yrs to hear that. My son won't come right out and say those words "you were right" but he consults me on most things of any importants now in his life and want's my take on them with advice. Took a long dang time for that and I must have gotten much smarter in the last 2-3 yrs than I was the other 25+. He's 36 now better side of 37. I found out at about 19 my Dad was totally smart & right and I was the one FOS!! [biggrin] I'm a quick learn I guess. :rolleyes:

Hang in there Edlo. It will come but make sure you have a place to sit down quickly cuz you may fall over!

Aster

Archived