Gibson Brands Forums

First Les Paul Custom

Levism

Usual weekly visit to L&M this week had me checking out the whole 2014 Gibson lineup they finally had in. I was checking out a melody maker in charcoal contemplating if I would go down that road after playing for my brothers he mod'd. Then I looked up at the top shelf.

Cut story - about two months ago I was in the store and my friend had to show me something. He opened a custom case and showed me this red burst I had never seen before. Called it a widow burst with matching binding and headstock. It was beautiful. It had been on the wall for one day and the guy pulled the trigger as soon as he saw it. I took pictures Like I just saw a UFO. That guitar stuck with me for a long time. The story behind it was after the 2011 release of the "Custom Widow Series" Gibson did with a limited run of 25 the L&M buyers went down to Nashville and made an agreement with them to produce a widow burst batch exclusive and only available to Canada.

I came to my senses and in front of me was another one. I spent over an hour with it. Sounded incredible. I couldn't let it go. Literally. They also did a purple widow burst and a blue widow burst. The red one I snagged was the 5th sold in Canada with no more in the registry. There are 12 of the purple (6 sold, 6 in the warehouse) couldn't get any info about the blue. I didn't have the cash after grabbing that 335 last month so I threw a good chunk down and made sure one day it would come home with me. I can't bring myself to give up any of my guitars so it might be a little while before it's official but I thought it was a cool story and defiantly wanted to share a couple pics. I'll post better when I bring a decent camera with me.

Cheers

13514591-0B81-4145-9220-6B77B723C7D0_zpsobj0ywgv.jpg

0892B7C9-B08B-4B15-A493-D04A3A423360_zpsi3mzulum.jpg

B28FFA59-382B-4B83-9D36-6F68B3E16F1D_zpstzppv3y0.jpg

AFE4C333-16C0-4B40-97F9-EAA555BC0CD6_zpsvczfof8n.jpg

Yup, that's one cool Hot looking LP!

Someone hereabouts bought one back in the day but I don't know too much about them. You mention a 'Custom Widow Series' as well as a limited run for L&M and I must admit I don't know enough about either. I think his had uncovered p'ups(?).

I seem to remember there was a 'Black Widow' spider waterslide somewhere (rear of the headstock?) and thinking the whole instrument's aesthetics had been very well considered.

As well as the three colours you mention was there also an Orange version? Or perhaps my memory is playing tricks. Again.

Hope you get it back to the ol' homestead sooner rather than later...the anticipation must be agony!...

[thumbup]

P.

Yup, that's one cool Hot looking LP!

Someone hereabouts bought one back in the day but I don't know too much about them. You mention a 'Custom Widow Series' as well as a limited run for L&M and I must admit I don't know enough about either. I think his had uncovered p'ups(?).

I seem to remember there was a 'Black Widow' spider waterslide somewhere (rear of the headstock?) and thinking the whole instrument's aesthetics had been very well considered.

As well as the three colours you mention was there also an Orange version? Or perhaps my memory is playing tricks. Again.

Hope you get it back to the ol' homestead sooner rather than later...the anticipation must be agony!...

[thumbup]

P.

You are 100% correct on both accounts. The original black widow series had a BW spider on the back of the headstock. Absolutely marvellous guitars. From what I dug up the pups were mostly covered but there were a few not. Most were gold hardware but I found a couple pics of the red with black hardware. [drool] They also did an orange version as well. L&M "negotiated" they do a similar version for them due to the demand. In all accounts of the sale of these they only go up for a day or two before they are grabbed.

Thanks pip. First and last thing I'm thinking about each day now lol.

• 3 months later...

I remember seeing the pictures of these they were green red and blue I think there was a purple one too.

I also remember to have seen a yellow and an orange one. Sweetwater offered all of the finish colours available then. Gibson just made 25 of each I believe.

Lord help me...

1043995_10151461795645718_1259038479_n.jpg

If that had an Ebony fretboard I'd be on a mission from God!

Actually, it's nice but the blue binding really just doesn't do much for me... I'd love a blue custom, but I'm just not feelin' it from the binding...

Lord help me...

1043995_10151461795645718_1259038479_n.jpg

If that had an Ebony fretboard I'd be on a mission from God!

Actually, it's nice but the blue binding really just doesn't do much for me... I'd love a blue custom, but I'm just not feelin' it from the binding...

I like. Lots.

Archived