Gibson Brands Forums

Ever Buy A Different Color Than You Intended?

oceantracks

Been wanting a Traditional for awhile now, and have had my eye on either the new Ocean Blue color or the Tobacco Burst.

Visited a Sam Ash tonight near me to see what they had, but they didn't have either of those....they DID have a Heritage Cherry, which to me is nice but almost a cliche LP look.

I tried it out, and it was just so perfect for me I couldn't believe it. Set up great, played like butter and just sounded so big and open and clear.....

"We can order the any color you want" they said, of course....but I might just get this one. It got me to wondering how many other people had passed on their favorite color in favor of

the guitar that just FELT perfect, color be damned.....anyone?

thx

Tom

PS Sorry for the sideways photo....don't know how that happened...but...you get the idea...;)

post-1834-030351600 1401596898_thumb.jpeg

I'm pretty open minded, about color! It's not the top of my list, really,

when looking for a guitar. Feel, playability, SOUND etc., are the biggest

concerns. So, I can't say I've purchase any of my guitars, with a specific

color in mind. I will say, however, that I've become very fond of the color

of my guitars, over time...even if, initially, it was "no big deal." They

tend to "grow on me," so to speak. [thumbup]

CB

I'm pretty open minded, about color! It's not the top of my list, really,

when looking for a guitar. Feel, playability, SOUND etc., are the biggest

concerns. So, I can't say I've purchase any of my guitars, with a specific

color in mind. I will say, however, that I've become very fond of the color

of my guitars, over time...even if, initially, it was "no big deal." They

tend to "grow on me," so to speak. [thumbup]

CB

Agree 100% and couldn't have said it any better for myself. However, I have to add that last year when looking for a 2013 Traditional, it turned out to be a Heritage Cherry Sunburst finished one. [biggrin][thumbup]

Me, I'm always banging on about it. I don't like the iced tea on my R8.

I can eliminate that problem and remove the R8 from your possession if you like :D

I went out with the intention of another burst, when I bought my white Studio. Don't know why, I just thought I had to have it :D

Given what I'm paying for a Gibson these days (well, anything much above the LPJ or SGJ), I'm holding out for the color & wood grain I want.

I don't wonder where my next meal is coming from, but I'm not independently wealthy either so I'm going to be a little picky about what I'm blowing my disposable income on. Buyer's remorse sucks anyway...

Apologies to Farnsbarns, but I actually won't buy an LP that isn't an "Iced Tea" burst...and I'm anal enough to look for a color & grain combo that compliment one another. Some just don't have the depth I favor and I'll pass.

So one man's meat truly is another man's poison, eh?

Tone and playability do come first, but I also need to like the finish. I like most of the traditional finishes: the solid colors typically used on LP Customs, any burst with a dark outline and a golden amber interior color like tobacco burst, desert burst, etc. I love a natural finish, too!

I'm not a big fan of tops that have a lot of flame, but I had to over look that when I bought my CS356. It's got more flame than I care for, but like what you encountered, it just played so well and sounded so good I could not walk away from it. I'm glad I bought it!

My CS356:

IMG_0253_zps72af2584.jpg

If you don't mind the heritage cherry finish, get it! [thumbup]

Well it looks like I will be getting a different guitar anyway, as I have found I can get a better price, and at the same time, I am developing a fascination with Honey Burst! Kind of has a vintage look that old guys like me probably are comfortable with. ;)

Let you know what happens this week!

Thanks for all the input, it's nice to know where others sit on this issue....

When I bought my 2012 Traditional, I really wanted a Honeyburst. I was holding out for the MF end of year sale and the best price was on a Light Burst so I snagged it. It plays great and the color has grown on me.

Yes!

It wasn't a Gibson, and I even special ordered it from Fender at the time...

When I purchased my Torino Red American Standard Strat, I actually wanted a Candy Apple Red... The sales people at the little shop I got it from weren't very communicative or helpful in that matter and while I was smitten with the Candy Apple Red color, I didn't know the name of it and from conversations describing it they told me it was the Torino Red color I wanted...

So I ordered one...

I do remember being disappointed when it arrived and I realized it was NOT the color I had intended. The additional wait time on another one was more than my youthful patience would have been able to handle at the time and the shop was frowning on having ordered in the wrong guitar and being stuck with it so I simply walked away from the hassle and kept it...

The color grew on me and eventually I even chose to love it, but it was not the color I intended or wanted originally...

Needless to say that I've never again done business with that local guitar shop for such a BS attitude and error on their part and then trying to saddle me with it anyway as if it were my error. They were the Fender licensed shop and the experts and I had examples of the color I wanted they could have researched. If they had simply pulled-out there Fender catalog showing the colors I would have pointed it out to them, but they never did that for me... I was a young ignorant kid and they never put in the effort to help me find what I wanted they just wanted to sell a guitar to me and were basically the only place around at the time without traveling a great distance...

I've never bought another guitar from them and this was circa 1989... So they made their bed and now they've had to lay in it ever since!

Yup... I have done it, and am very pleased with the L.P.

There are some colors I just won't buy because I would have remorse, but I have purchased a guitar based on weight and playability it, a color that was not my first choice. That guitar is my favorite now.

It got me to wondering how many other people had passed on their favorite color in favor of

the guitar that just FELT perfect, color be damned.....anyone?

Just about every guitar I have fits that bill.

Classic Custom - Got the cream but really wanted the ebony,, although the cream has grown on me. ;)

Hamer - A red I hated but absolutely loved the neck and fretboard.

Squire Strat - Another ugly red but was a super cheap pawn shop special with potential, took home set up and plays great. (I needed a quick single coil solution)

J-45 - Was never a fan of the tobacco burst but the sound of that thing is just amazing.

I also had a few guitars I bought purely on looks that I hated.

So no,, looks are not important.

Squire Strat - Another ugly red but was a super cheap pawn shop special with potential, took home set up and plays great. (I needed a quick single coil solution)

So no,, looks are not important.

Similar here. After joining a dance and show band in 1986 for making some money, adding a single coil plus Floyd Rose solution had become a must for me. So I went with a sparkling metallic Roadstar Red Ibanez RG 430 being in stock at my favorite dealer. Such colour had never been on my list before... :rolleyes:

Definitely a function over looks decision. However, compared to the other two "main guitars" during that period which still look nicer to my taste, this axe earned the vast majority of playing hours for the following twenty-five years. [thumbup]

for me, the color is the last part I choose.

First-How does it play?

Second-How does it sound?

Third-color

This probably explains why I own some UGLY guitars that play well......lol.

For me, If I pick one up and it is one of those "the one" guitars, it would have to be a REALLY bad color to not grab it.......and, I like the odd balls anyway, so sometimes colors that others pass on are ripe for the picking.

NHTom

First-How does it play?

Third-color

This probably explains why I own some UGLY guitars that play well......lol.

For me, If I pick one up and it is one of those "the one" guitars, it would have to be a REALLY bad color to not grab it.......and, I like the odd balls anyway, so sometimes colors that others pass on are ripe for the picking.

NHTom

I guess you happened to find true gems despite of their disguise. [biggrin][thumbup]

Yeah.. when I bought my LP 60s tribute... I loved so many of the colours and before I went to try them out I was either going to get a Honeyburst or a Cherryburst... I went along and tried all 11 of the 60s Tribute models they had (probably much to the annoyance of the guitar shop assistant)...

And like you I then played one (the last one) that just spoke to me straight away and I knew that was it

IMG_0191_zpsed17afe3.jpg

And previously the idea of owning a gold guitar didn't appeal.. I mean a GOLD guitar lol seems a bit pretentious.. I mean I understand that its a classic colour for a LP but it didn't do much for me... However once I got over that I couldn't be more happy with it.. Its just perfect [thumbup]

I hate the term "clown-burst" that I've seen used in Gibby talk circles.

I'm shopping for my first LP these days and I like off-white(cream), black, silverburst, vintage-burst, and the Merlot.

IDK if I like the Honey, Cherry, Iced Tea 'bursts'. I bet if I played one and loved it the color would grow on me!

• 2 weeks later...

Once I found out that it was tone and feel that made me happy, I quit paying much attention to color.

Except for green! I just can't accept a green guitar. And I've missed out on a couple of really nice guitars because of it.

First-How does it play?

Third-color.

That's exactly how I do it, too.

None of mine were bought because of how they looked.

Before I understood this I almost missed out on my #1 Paul because it didn't look like what I thought I wanted.

After I realised my mistake it completely changed the way I evaluate Les Pauls.

P.

Since I bought my guitar on-line. My decision was based on two things.

1. It was a Gibson Les Paul

2. Color/Flame Top.

So I guess I bought mine on looks and was assuming I would get a player since it was a Gibson. A little naive maybe, but it turned out great. My Les Paul and I will never part.

It's all subjective and it can all be on a momentary mood/whim/feeling...

I guess when I bought my last Les Paul, I went with wanting an Ebony fretboard first, I had to have nice inlays. Next I wanted a flame-top that spoke to me, I found the 2004 Les Paul Standard Limited Edition; approx. 275 of each color made in the limited runs. It came down to either the Manhattan Midnight Blue or the Black Cherry color...

There were two available at the same time where I was looking and I flip-flopped back & forth between the two. Finally one day I saw another Blue one come on the market and it just spoke to me and I went with the Manhattan Midnight Blue.

I pretty much gave little thought to the pickups in it. In fact I'm not even certain which ones are in it. The eBay auction listed them as Burstbucker Pro's (I think) but I've also seen that most of these guitars came with Burstbuck 1 & 2 in them, which I prefer because I prefer the AlNiCo-2 magnet tone. But I was actually looking for an axe with a 490R/498T combination because I find this to be the best to my ear from all I've seen & heard on YouTube...

The axe just spoke to me and I couldn't resist it...

giblpstandle_zps941d2240.jpg

I'm a Blues-Hound and part of me wanted a "Blues" guitar in a fitting blue color as silly as that sounds...

It turned out to be the best playing guitar with the best action I've ever put my hands on... It is powerful and awesome all the way around...

I'd still like the Black Cherry version too...

When I got my first Les Paul, I was sold on the Deluxe model first and foremost. I had to have one with the mini-humbuckers...

It was different that what most guys have in a Les Paul and I wanted to be a little bit different.

After that it was color. I had to have a Wine Red finished Les Paul... I find it stunning and I simply love it...

Those were the two requirements that I fulfilled and I got a great one and love it!

Archived