Gibson Brands Forums

Bridge Plate Mounting Hole Poll

duluthdan

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is that centre left string sitting the way it is? Doesn't look like the string is in the pin channel

I've had it out 3 times and it keeps going off to the side, got tired of messing with it, probably will take it to dealer and start there. Notice also that the pins don't look like the are all the way down, maybe the bridge is thicker in those areas?

I've had it out 3 times and it keeps going off to the side, got tired of messing with it, probably will take it to dealer and start there. Notice also that the pins don't look like the are all the way down, maybe the bridge is thicker in those areas?

Don't know about the bridge being thicker.

That string sitting funny like that is perplexing. Should be impossible to get it to sit like that.

I'm nowhere close to as knowledgeable as a lot of folk on this forum , I'd like someone else to qualify what I'm thinking about it.

I'm assuming that 'up top' the pin is straight and the string looks proper ?

Sorry for your hassles, pain in the butt things like this are . Hope its all sorted for you soon.

The "Gibson Homecoming" is going on this week. Several of the folks are already here in Bozeman as they like to get first pick of the guitars offered for sale at Music Villa. I will make an effort to have some of them bring up all of the bridge plate concerns and get some of them to take photos of the entire process so that we can all see the exact reason for the problem, and this mess is a problem. This has gone on long enough and someone needs to step up and explain why they can't fix the issue.

Well this is the week and we shall all have a better idea of how this will all work out. I will try to see if Gibson is going to consider this a warranty problem as it is obviously a problem generated by them in the building process. They will be asked about solutions to the problem.

Just so you folks know. Just because it's being discussed here on the forum doesn't mean that Gibson/Montana knows about it. There can be a disconnect between customer service based in Nashville and the production team in Montana. I don't know if this is the case but rest assured. The solution will be at hand.

Haven't run into the problem myself, but thought this might be a good place to say "thanks Hogeye" for the effort on this one.

That string sitting funny like that is perplexing. Should be impossible to get it to sit like that.

This is an example of what can happen when too much of the bridge plate wood has been compromised. The locator hole and the pin hole being so close together, coupled with splintering of the wood from drilling, has left a gap of weak wood, which the ball of the string unfortunately got lodged into.

Relocating the ball to catch the good wood on the opposite side can be done, but as Randmo found, the string will generally want to fall back into the gap. You've got twist the string away from the gap by hand while pulling it up towards the pin to lock it in the new position. Sometimes it can take many attempts to get it ideally re-seated.

Hi

I voted for "I ain't looking", cause that was the advice I got from gibson europe.

If you want the background story: http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/110110-bridgeplate-problem-on-tv-bird/

I'm really interested what gibson US will say about it.

It'll be also of interested how gibson would take care of the problem on a individual guitar (not so much what they are trying to do to fix the manufacturing problem.)

I'm looking forward to radmos and hogeyes requests.

This is an example of what can happen when too much of the bridge plate wood has been compromised. The locator hole and the pin hole being so close together, coupled with splintering of the wood from drilling, has left a gap of weak wood, which the ball of the string unfortunately got lodged into.

Relocating the ball to catch the good wood on the opposite side can be done, but as Randmo found, the string will generally want to fall back into the gap. You've got twist the string away from the gap by hand while pulling it up towards the pin to lock it in the new position. Sometimes it can take many attempts to get it ideally re-seated.

why is everything kinda 'stained' looking ?

The "Homecoming" is off to a great start. RAR hosted an informal "meet and greet" in his room last night. Lots of familiar faces and Dan was there as well. He says he will try to get pictures and understand the process for the "pilot hole". He probably won't post anything until he gets home. I believe they will get their tour today. I hope that during their meetings with the Gibson folks they will ask the right questions and with a little luck we will all get the answers we need.

The weather has been spotty up here. Rain then sun and back to rain again. At least there is no snow in the forecast. This is such a fun event for all concerned. I hope others out there will take advantage of this event in the future. If nothing else you can meet the world famous Tony at Music Villa.

The "Homecoming" is off to a great start. RAR hosted an informal "meet and greet" in his room last night. Lots of familiar faces and Dan was there as well. He says he will try to get pictures and understand the process for the "pilot hole". He probably won't post anything until he gets home. I believe they will get their tour today. I hope that during their meetings with the Gibson folks they will ask the right questions and with a little luck we will all get the answers we need.

The weather has been spotty up here. Rain then sun and back to rain again. At least there is no snow in the forecast. This is such a fun event for all concerned. I hope others out there will take advantage of this event in the future. If nothing else you can meet the world famous Tony at Music Villa.

...and they all lived happily ever after. What a relief.

My 2004 is perfect as is my 2010. My 2013 looks like the bad one shown in this thread. I'm Very Disappointed in Gibson for letting sub-standard quality ship. I got my 2013 J45 Custom three weeks ago and love it. Now I feel like the teenage boy who finds out his prom date is not a virgin. I am hoping someone from Gibson will step up to the plate and tell us here how to fix this problem. I'm so disgusted, I can't even be bothered being bothered by GuitarLight.

According to the poll on this thread 7 out of 10 have this issue

Yes, but poll isn't 'scientific'. The three that don't have the problem could be looking at guitars built 3 or 4 years ago before the change in the manufacturing process occurred. I would venture to say that Gibson is making 100% of their guitars this way now. Either that, or they have different people doing the same process differently - which is even scarier.

Got a response from Gibson, they say this is normal with the locator hole and that I just don't have the strings in correctly.

I'm going to take it to Guitar Center tonight and see what they have to say.

Took the J-15 to guitar center, it would be covered under my Pro Warranty if it were causing issues, I wasn't going to raise a big stink, so I went to Sam Ash just for another opinion, they seemed to feel the same way. Gibson says it's normal, so I guess I'm going to live with it. I have only been playing for 3 months, so I don't have the background to argue, except the way it looks.

BTW while I was at GC I looked at the J-15 they had in stock, I didn't care for the color of the fretboard or back. I didn't have a mirror to look inside. But I never would have bought based on looks, I love mine and I'm keeping it.

Randmo,

But you've clearly stated to us that the string is out of position because it naturally goes to that odd position! If I were you, I'd keep good records of this purchase and good track of that bridge to make sure there aren't problems down the road.

I'm not clear if you have a policy to have GC fix it and if you do what does that do to the Gibson warranty... someone else, please chime in.

If you love the guitar, I agree with no messing with success. But at the first sign of a real issue, I'd be adamant that someone at Gibson take care of this.

Randmo,

But you've clearly stated to us that the string is out of position because it naturally goes to that odd position! If I were you, I'd keep good records of this purchase and good track of that bridge to make sure there aren't problems down the road.

I'm not clear if you have a policy to have GC fix it and if you do what does that do to the Gibson warranty... someone else, please chime in.

If you love the guitar, I agree with no messing with success. But at the first sign of a real issue, I'd be adamant that someone at Gibson take care of this.

I have the Guitar Center warranty, that's why I'm not real concerned. I haven't had a problem with it, mainly it's just the point, I was (am) mainly concerned about long term effects.

I'm with smurf here.

I'd be bothered about that string twisting out of position.

and I'm one of the less fussy people in here.

Am a bit amazed that gibson say it's fine. It's obviously not fine.

I agree, I paid a lot of money for this. I got the email from Gibson today which I felt they were telling me I installed the strings wrong. I'll admit I'm very new at this, but look at my previous pictures of my Yamaha FG700S, I didn't know what I was doing then either, but they look fine.

From this and the February thread it seems this is a common problem... I don't know what to think anymore. I love the guitar yet I think I'm a little disappointed considering its cost.

I would be comfortable with a repair, I don't want a new guitar.

It's a bad design, plain and simple. And the rip out from the drilling of the holes shows a dull tool bit….in my opinion. This is really substandard production. Owners shouldn't have to be fixing these factory mishaps. Clearly it's not just one or two guitars!!!