Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson 2015 guitars

Rabs

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the 'Less' Paul....some.

But what about Les's hologram on the back of the headstock?

Does he grin and tell you when you're out of tune?

How would see it past the gigantic GFail stuck on the back of the headstock?

...that (logo) must have been something Les Paul did before he died which means its his own handwriting which I think is pretty cool...

The Les Paul script certainly looks like a facsimile of his actual signature - unlike the version which has adorned the p'head for the last 62 years.

Although I wouldn't necessarily say it's an improvement.........

...that new Les Paul logo won't change back to original ever...

Nah.....my guess, Donny, (FWIW) is that come 2016 the old style will return - unless, of course, they had Les sign a 'Les Paul 101' in advance, too...........[scared]

P.

The Les Paul script certainly looks like a facsimile of his actual signature - unlike the version which has adorned the p'head for the last 62 years.

Although I wouldn't necessarily say it's an improvement.........

Nah.....my guess, Donny, (FWIW) is that come 2016 the old style will return - unless, of course, they had Les sign a 'Les Paul 101' in advance, too...........[scared]

P.

Hey Pippy... How was your holiday then :)

And yes it does seem like a slightly odd inclusion to the new features.. But hey as I said in an earlier post, if I really liked one of the new models it wouldn't stop me buying it.

I sometimes wonder if they do this stuff to help stop fakes...??

Hey Pippy... How was your holiday then :)

...as I said in an earlier post, if I really liked one of the new models it wouldn't stop me buying it....

Hey back, Rabs!

Fun times on Hol. No Internet. No mobile. No stress.

Typical view;

3729lo-res_zps33036c7f.jpg

Some of the locals whom we met during the day;

TwoStagslo-res_zps1977cf71.jpg

As it happens I met some of their mates at dinner...

As far as the script goes? Hmmm............Not a big fan, I must admit.

Perhaps 2016 will see no unusual inlays/silk-screens/micro-switches/jack sockets/tuning 'aids'...etc...etc...etc...?

Pfffttt....who am I kidding?

P.

I can really see them dropping the "100" and keeping the new signature, its out with the old and in with the new with Gibson lately, and they could care less what us traditionalists want. They figure us old fellas either already got ours or we should be able by now to shop in the $4000-$6000 isle I guess.

We stopped buying when they started force feeding us battery powered mini toggles and robo tuners. You know I can fix a robo tuner or mini toggle mistake they make but there is no fixing that horrific error. So they will just have to keep mine. Just like the Custom Classic with the SG inlay and the standard inlays I wont buy such a mess, I dont begrudge anyone that wants it but I dont. I will not buy any Les Paul that does not look like this ...

I hear ya' bro. My '99 B7 continues to be my favorite tone monster regardless of brand or model or tuners or robots. I love toys like the next guy, but ... I just wish the damn thing weighed a couple or three pounds less. :)

Yeah most players are not looking for cutting edge with a Gibson or a Fender they are looking for their long lost friend.

IMO, Gibson is in the same place as Harley. The guys that make up their base of support are fewer and fewer every year. They keep trying new **** to appeal to the following generations.

Sad but true is the fact that us in the 50+ group matter a little less every year. Pretty soon the politicians won't even give a damn about us any more [crying]

My last Harley was pretty modern, but it was still a V-Twin in the old tradition, even with EFI :)

Last_HOG.jpg

Yeah I seen the new electric Harley WTF? I think by the time we are ready to check out of this place we wont recognize it anymore and will be glad to go anyway. I mean what was wrong with the white channel slider for cable tv anyway lol? Now they want to sell me invisible albums invisible movies and invisible books click here to download.

LOL! I dig some of the tech, but IMO tech can go too far. I don't want a digital woman, if you know what I mean. And I damn sure sure don;t want a cross between a Prius and a Harley! WTF are they thinking?! And even worse than digital women is having some battery-powered monstrosity on the back of your Les Paul's headstock.

Oh well. I'm sure my great-great grandad would be appalled at my favorite adult beverage - LOL!!

With motorcycles so many times there's a cut off date when you lose interest in the product. Take Norton: 1974 was the last year for me, 1975 was the addition of the electric assist (which they touted as a starter motor) and the left hand shift. In 1976 they were gone from the States and the Wankel engine Norton didn't exactly take the world by storm.

Unless they do some drastic changes which seems unlikely, 2013 will be it for the regular old run of the mill Gibsons for me. Some of the 2014s looked pretty good but the eTune and fret over binding models and ebony replacement fret boards and two or three knobs for two pick ups - no thanks.

Please go back to doing what you do best: straight forward, beautiful, high quality instruments. I've been your customer for 40 years and that's what I want. I don't want gizmos and circuit boards and junk that requires a battery and fake fret board material and binding like what the rest of the world has. I want the real thing.

These signature T are a good deal even if you get one with an E Tuner you can take it off mail it to Gibson and tell them to shove it and install machine heads. Its super simple just buy vintage tuners or grovers and lay a 6 inch steel scale across the the top of the left and right tuner as a straight edge. They have decided I should buy used Gibsons or Fenders in the future for me too. Sad to see the the death of an icon like this....

ams_nl_gibson_lp_091014.jpg

Here is the link

http://www.americanm...campaign=140910

Read this

Leading up to the release of its 2015 models, the Gibson Guitar Company has planned a series of changes to its guitar lineup including a general price increase across the board. Whereas MAP (manufacturer advertised price) for a 2014 Les Paul Standard with a normal flame top comes in at $2999, the 2015 equivalent will start at $3879, marking a roughly 29% increase.

In addition to the price increase, Gibson will drastically scale back the number of guitar models offered, including the discontinuation of a number finishes and top options on guitars like the Les Paul Standard. Gibson has also announced it will stop producing instruments with the less expensive Satin finish, meaning the end of such sub-$1000 models as the Les Paul Studio Faded.

61y2CirnMkL__SL1500__zps9c453266_uofv8c.jpgOther changes include the expansion of the Min-ETune automated tuning system, which will be re-branded as "G-Force," as standard on almost all guitars. In celebration of the 100th birthday of Les Paul himself, all 2015 Les Paul models will feature a swirly "Les Paul 100" headstock logo marking a departure from the traditional Les Paul logo seen on the guitar for decades. As for actual specs, Gibson is updating the nut to a brass "Zero Fret Nut" and increasing the neck width on most models.

Well it looks as though I won't be buying anymore new Gibson guitars for most every reason stated above. Its okay as I have a butt load of them already which will easily carry me to the end of my days. I understand innovation and trying to draw in a younger demographic as us older players die off - but I think Gibson misses the mark when it's the baby boomers that have paid off their homes and student loans, carry no credit card debt have the disposable income to buy more gear. And the bulk of us - from what I read here and on other forums - prefer the more traditional Gibson guitars that already had the attributes that made them so desired in the first place. Thank goodness there's a ton of well cared for used Gibsons in the market to fill the void.

I've only been playing the Lucille over the past few months but there's another handful of Gibsons I'm going to get before they plant me in the ground. From the looks of things, they'll all be used models which is a shame as it was always so great to open up the case for the first time and there's your new guitar.

If anyone at Gibson is reading this (other than the janitor), the bucket list is:

a wine red 335 with a trapeze tail piece (rosewood/chrome)

a black 355 with a Bigsby (ebony/gold)

a white two pick up SG Custom (ebony/gold)

a wine red Les Paul Custom (ebony/gold)

a bright red Firebird VII (ebony/gold)

an ES 150 TDC in natural (rosewood/nickel)

a Flying V in natural built to the original specs (rosewood/nickel) although if it weighed a bit more I'd be even happier as they always seem way too light for their size.

NO bulls eyes or other goofy paint schemes, no electronic tuners, no overdrive buttons, no circuit boards, no fake ageing, no stupidly hot pick ups, just some good guitars and some nibs to go, please. And don't forget the hard shell case!

Leading up to the release of its 2015 models, the Gibson Guitar Company has planned a series of changes to its guitar lineup including a general price increase across the board. Whereas MAP (manufacturer advertised price) for a 2014 Les Paul Standard with a normal flame top comes in at $2999, the 2015 equivalent will start at $3879, marking a roughly 29% increase.

In addition to the price increase, Gibson will drastically scale back the number of guitar models offered, including the discontinuation of a number finishes and top options on guitars like the Les Paul Standard. Gibson has also announced it will stop producing instruments with the less expensive Satin finish, meaning the end of such sub-$1000 models as the Les Paul Studio Faded.

61y2CirnMkL__SL1500__zps9c453266_uofv8c.jpgOther changes include the expansion of the Min-ETune automated tuning system, which will be re-branded as "G-Force," as standard on almost all guitars. In celebration of the 100th birthday of Les Paul himself, all 2015 Les Paul models will feature a swirly "Les Paul 100" headstock logo marking a departure from the traditional Les Paul logo seen on the guitar for decades. As for actual specs, Gibson is updating the nut to a brass "Zero Fret Nut" and increasing the neck width on most models.

Hello!

That will boost the second-hand market...

The real problems is, that this is for most models. Can You imagine a Traditional or a Custom with all this stuff? [thumbdn]

Cheers... Bence

I can sort of understand the price increase - even if its only to make the inevitable 'sale' prices look like bigger discounts. I can sort of understand cutting back the range of finishes to reduce complexity and inventories. I can sort of understand zero frets (they might prove popular) and wider necks (fatter hands? [biggrin] ) ....but:

G-Force??? FFS! who came up with that?

mind you, that pales in significance compared to the 'new' Les Paul signature - defacing one of the classic elements of one of the classic instruments. Obviously nothing is sacred to these guys. I simply would not ever buy an LP without the real signature let alone some PoS 'swirly' replacement. How can you replace a signature anyway?

not impressed guys. (yeah I know they don't care but anyway...)

Yes it looks like our dear Gibson has decided to commit suicide. The death of an American icon, how sad. Their fans will forsake them.

Indeed. It's the 70's pancake bodies and crappy paint all over again, they are finished.

Wait.

No, it's....it's the 80's Studios, Brandeds, and 50's reissues patterned after 70's guitars again! Them guys are done now.

Oh crap, I think it is actually the 90's "THIS GUITAR IS MUCH MORE ACCURATE THAN THE ONE WE MADE YESTERDAY" again, nobody will keep buying guitars just because they put an "R" in front of them, this is it for Gibson.

Wait. What?

It's the 2000's again, "...just pay us a lot more for the top end so we can keep jackin the bottom end making you think yer 800 Les Paul is great" again.

This has to be the end. Finally. Again. This time. srsly. rrly.

rct

But seriously yeah your right they got a whole history of stupid so we shouldn't be surprised.

The young people have no idea what stupid is, they will buy them just fine. I already have a Les Paul, and if it broke tomorrow I know where to go and what to buy to replace it. I am lost to them, they don't care at all, and I don't blame them. It's the young that have no idea what Les Paul means and it is the guys on tour spending someone elses money on any guitar they want, that's who keeps them going. We are too busy at work writing in this forum to buy guitars.

rct

I'm getting one more but I want a 1960 VOS Les Paul Standard cherry sunburst.

Well, I'ma one guitar of the different kinds that matter kinda guy. I'd only get another Les Paul if this one fell down the steps, and since they don't go out anymore that won't be happening I don't think. I'd only add a second Les Paul if it was made for me only, like purple sparkle or something. But that won't be happening, they want sick money for such a thing.

Good luck with the 1960 VOS Standard Cherry Sunburst. You do know that the day after you buy that they'll come out with the R0 ABSOLUTELY PERFECT REPRODUCTION BETTER THAN ANY OTHER PREVIOUS MOST ACCURATE KNOCKOFF WE'VE EVER DONE model, right? And there you'll be, 6 grand lighter and yer guitar STILL isn't accurate.

rct

Archived