Gibson Brands Forums

Fender Road Worn

Tim Plains

Don't like them.

My Guitars should earn their own scars.

Plus : I don't like the Tex-Mex pups - didn't like the Texas Specials in my SRV

and replaced them with '59s from Copperhead. Now there is tone!

For another Strat I picked the Don Grosh Retro Classic , it will be 6 months

til I get it. These are absolutely great (great price too).

I shall post it as soon as I have it,then we can talk about craftsmanship,

bang for the buck, etc.

I love the look and feel of a well broken in Strat so, of course, i like these guitars. However i'd mush rather do it myself because there's more character in each and every scar that you put in it. My dad's that way about his bass he's had since he was a kid. "...and that ding came from a show back in '87 when we were playing at this one bar downtown..." and so on and i couldn't really feel any connection like that with these guitars

.....by the way have you ever wondered what a "reliced" guitar will look like after 30+ years of aging?

food for thought.

It's the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. Great for Fender as they can dump all of their defective materials and manufacturing mistakes.

The second most ridiculous thing. Worse are the replicas of celebrity guitars with the cigarette burns in just the right spots! I'd feel like a hell owning a guitar beat up by the manufacturer to make it look vintage.

They look great...if they were truly vintage. I don't understand why someone who pay good money for a fake vintage guitar. What do you tell people when you get it home--"Yeah, I paid $1500 for it....yeah, it's brand new...no, I am not an idiot."

Couple of things to add.

If I was a giging musician playing regularly I would not want a relic because the guitar would get a lot of wear on the road anyway, on the other hand as a hobbyist you would never age a guitar to that degree at least not one that is not finished in nitro.

The only nitro-finished Fenders nowadays are the Highway One which is lower end finish or the higher end Fenders.

American standards are finished on a really tough poly, they will NEVER age like nitro guitar no matter how much you play it.

With a Gibson you know you will wear the finish by playing...

Couple of things to add.

If I was a giging musician playing regularly I would not want a relic because the guitar would get a lot of wear on the road anyway' date=' on the other hand as a hobbyist you would never age a guitar to that degree at least not one that is not finished in nitro.

The only nitro-finished Fenders nowadays are the Highway One which is lower end finish or the higher end Fenders.

American standards are finished on a really tough poly, they will NEVER age like nitro guitar no matter how much you play it.

With a Gibson you know you will wear the finish by playing...[/quote']

the American Vintage Strats also have nitro, but only on the neck.

The second most ridiculous thing. Worse are the replicas of celebrity guitars with the cigarette burns in just the right spots! I'd feel like a hell owning a guitar beat up by the manufacturer to make it look vintage.

You are right. Everyone knows it's all fake. Embarrassing! How about putting a hair ball in the case? Or spilling a beer into it. Maybe sneeze on the guitar.

The Fender marketing people must be laughing their asses off (I'm a marketing guy).

If someone gave me one I'd sell it.

What's next - beat up amps? Ripping the tolex. Blowing the cones? Selling an amp with a broken handle?

Don't like them.

My Guitars should earn their own scars.

This pretty well sums up my opinion. I was looking at Teles' the other day. The GC had a bunch of them that looked like they were used to hammer in fence posts. The salesman actually said, "look pretty cool, don't you think?". I said, no looks like sh1t to me.

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. They're still MIM's right? You can get an American for pretty much the same price. I don't get why someone would want something like that.

Are they all "worn" in the exact same places?

Archived