Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone want to crowdfund to buy Gibson??

nick_s

Lol.. was that started by Donny? :)

And what nonsense.. Firstly to be able to be bought, the company would need to be on sale which as far as I know its not... So theres issue no1..

Secondly they talk about removing all computerised processes and doing it all the old way by hand.. WHAT, like I do with a router and template??? Or someone standing at a bandsaw?

Such nonsense.. You do that and each guitar will cost $10,000.. The image of an old man with grey hair sitting there carving each piece by hand who has been doing it for his whole life is again nonsense.

Who really cares if a body is cut out by hand or by computer.. A computer is WAY more accurate than a person.. After that every guitar is finished and set up by hand anyway.. Which is good enough for me.

As much as I may dislike some of the new features and direction they have gone in, chances are if it wernt for Henry and Co that Gibson would have gone the way of the dodo in the mid 80s.. And then where would we all be? PRS and Fender players :o :)

Nope.. I have no real issue with Henry or Gibson... In fact the opposite, they provided me with four amazing Les Pauls which are some of my favourite things in the whole wide world. How can I diss a company who gave me that?

Lol.. was that started by Donny? :)

And what nonsense.. Firstly to be able to be bought, the company would need to be on sale which as far as I know its not... So theres issue no1..

Secondly they talk about removing all computerised processes and doing it all the old way by hand.. WHAT, like I do with a router and template??? Or someone standing at a bandsaw?

Such nonsense.. You do that and each guitar will cost $10,000.. The image of an old man with grey hair sitting there carving each piece by hand who has been doing it for his whole life is again nonsense.

Who really cares if a body is cut out by hand or by computer.. A computer is WAY more accurate than a person.. After that every guitar is finished and set up by hand anyway.. Which is good enough for me.

As much as I may dislike some of the new features and direction they have gone in, chances are if it wernt for Henry and Co that Gibson would have gone the way of the dodo in the mid 80s.. And then where would we all be? PRS and Fender players :o :)

Nope.. I have no real issue with Henry or Gibson... In fact the opposite, they provided me with four amazing Les Pauls which are some of my favourite things in the whole wide world. How can I diss a company who gave me that?

Madness isn't it?

Madness isn't it?

Yeah well id say the person or people who started that have a very idealised view of how to make guitars on a large scale.. If they had people doing the jobs of the CnC machines they would probably end up with more waste due to human error than anything else...

Just not commercially viable..

Sure a luthier who makes guitars on his own will do it all like that cos they probably cant afford all of the machinery and space necessary to make guitars on a large scale so they have no choice.. But for a big commercial company.. No way...

Its a nice idea in theory.. just a bit naive.

I stopped reading after "boutique", a lot of complaints against Gibson are probably related to pricing, a small limited production company will have to jack up the prices to keep in business. Looks like they want to make it an exclusive brand where only the privileged get to buy one of their guitars. Freaking a$$ clowns.

All Gibson needs to do is increase quality production and quality control.

Sure, like what?

Frankly in my 10 years playing guitar I have never had problems finding a model that fits my needs and budget.

My Les Paul 1958 reissue is a fantastic guitar, a true LP Standerd that's always available from Gibson.

I think people pay to much attention to guitar models they don't plan to buy anyway. There will be always somebody that complains.

Look at that proposal, why would making Gibsons in Kalamazoo be better?

Do they know they have to raise enough money to buy out Heritage Guitars and evict them from the old gibson factory? Do they know that punting CNC tables in favor of hand carving will quadruple the price of the guitar? Do the know that Gibson IS a privately owned company already?

That's a hoot!

Sounds like a pretty foolish business plan. But all you need is a computer, pajamas and bed sores to start a croudfunding project for something you know nothing about these days. Where's the rolling with laughter smiley? Oh, here it is. [lol]

They claim that Gibson will sell them the brand only for 22 mil and that they won't have to buy the whole company to do that. I mean, I'm just a dunce in pajamas too and I have enough sense to realize that you can't make somebody sell you just the brand. This is really a narcissism funding project. If the guy walked up my driveway and asked me for money in person I'd laugh him right back into the street into his '91 Cavalier.

At the rate they're raising money over the past two weeks, they'll have the $22,000,000.00 in another one hundred years. They can probably raise enough cash for Doritos, cheese sticks and new pajamas, though. [laugh]

"But all you need is a computer, pajamas and bed sores to start a croudfunding project for something you know nothing about these days."

Now that's some funny sh*t right there. Thanks for the laugh!

Pretty paltry choices on the acoustic line as well:

1. L-5 (Arch top)

2. L-4C (Arch top)

3. L-1 (Flat top)

4. J-45 (Flat top)

5. Hummingbird (Flat top)

6. J-200 (Flat top)

Guest Farnsbarns

I think this has been written to appeal to all the snake oil prescribed guitar fools. Notice this is a flexible funding project. Even if they don't get all the investment required they still recieve all the money raised. I don't think they believe they can raise the money, I think they just believe they can part some fools from some money.

I feel really dumb, and not at all wily in the ways of The Forum, but I seem to have missed something regarding that guy.

rct

I'm with you. Seem to have missed whatever got him kicked to the curb. Is it permanent? It also seems that any thread started to discuss it gets immediately locked. Hmmm. I think it's a conspiracy... :rolleyes:

Rabs, why you posting at 3.30am? And same here, missed something entirely.

Lol.. whats wrong with posting at 3:30? :)

Im always up late.. its just the way I am..

And well with Donny.. im not sure if there was an exact moment.. BUT obviously he took it all too far with his 2015 bashing...

The last post I remember reading of his was when he told us that he had now emailed Jim Decola personally and was taking his whole anti 2015 quest way too far...

But im not exactly sure...

But back with the OP.....

I like the way it says he's a (verified) visionary and is the team.....hallucination or vision, he's already got some money out of it.

When the campaign closes he and his visions will probably vanish.

There are only two options here: the "Visionary" is either a scam artist, or he is an idiot.

And for either of those options, the poor saps that would contribute to this fund are either idiots themselves, mis-informed, or just plain scammed out of their money.

Let me, a poor, blue-collar guy who knows very little explain some obvious points about "business", guitars, and Gibson history that these guys obviously hope contributors miss:

1st off, the guitars they claim they want to build, and how they want to build them, THEY ALREADY EXIST. Gibson is making them. They just happen to be "expensive" because that's the cost of building them. It's an economic reality, you can't build expensively and sell for cheap. It's also a reality that the consumer has a choice RIGHT NOW to get what they want from Gibson, either expensive or cheaper.

Give ^^this^^ guy my money to run a company? I don't THINK so.

Secondly, as far as who and what is the "proper" Gibson, yes, the Heritage Guitar Company is in fact, who and what they say they are. But that's only half of it. Gibson has moved production from Kalamazoo to Nashville back and forth, and TOOLING back and forth. My understanding is Gibson has original tooling as well, and even in the 70's, when many guitars were "reissued", who was making them more like the 50's?

So, this "visionary" wants to use Kalamazoo tooling and not make an offer to buy the old tooling Gibson has possession of? Does he not know?

Give ^^this^^ guy money to preserve the Gibson heritage? Ahh...I don't THINK so.

Multiple people have actually given money to this? lmfao

That!!!

There's one born every minute!

Put up some disgruntled BS on the interwebby and some moron will send you money thinkin' they're gonna be a shareholder in something that doesn't exist and was never intended to no matter the marketing...

If you believe this one, I got some swampland in Death Valley I'm willing to liquidate at a ridiculously low price per acre!

Archived