Gibson Brands Forums

Cigarette smell

ksdaddy

Yeah, I smoked a pack a day since I was 12. I was an idiot. I quit a couple times and went back to it, once after about 18 months, another time after about 26 months. I quit again in July of 2014. The difference THIS time is that Penny quit in January of 2013, we've NEVER smoked in the 'new' house (nor did the previous owners), nobody I work with smokes, etc. I lent my Blazer to my daughter for a while last winter and it was smoked in....I wanted to kill her.

Because I'm not around cigarette smoke anymore, I have become hyper sensitive to it. If I pass by someone in a store the smell from their clothes just about makes me vomit. penny lent her LAPTOP to her son for a couple weeks....got it back yesterday and it stunk up the house.

Yes, I've become a whiny little b****. I used to think non smokers were just being high and mighty when they wrinkled their noses up but now I see they were right. I have opened up some of my guitar cases and wanted to puke as well. I've taken some steps to air them out with some success. Hard to beat a brisk rubdown with a rough washcloth dampened with some household cleaner. Nothing is perfect though. I've used coffee, baking soda, all that. I like the washcloth the best. When I rinse the washcloth and the water is brown and smells like an ashtray, that's a prompt indicator of some degree of success.

A couple weeks back I took the Telecaster down cellar. It's normally a living room/bedroom denizen. The entire basement in the new house, while not "finished" in the 60s rec room sense, it is living space...workshop, couch, tv, stereo, sheetrock, a smattering of carpeting. Even a kitchen of sorts (cabinets, sink). It is more humid down there than on the main floor but not overly so right now. The Tele leaned up against the workbench for a couple weeks and the other day I fired up the old Peavey Bandit and plugged in the Tele. As soon as it was on my leg I could smell the old smoke from long ago. I never smelled it before. I sniffed it and it was definitely coming from it... all over. I don't know if it was my imagination but after playing it a half hour I thought I could even taste the smoke. It was unpleasant.

Here's the problem. The Telecaster is a 1977 and was made when Fender was using what they called a Thick Skin finish. It was/is a heavy thick finish that a Tele snob would recoil from, but 'it is what it is' and I've owned it 38 years...took it out of the box marked Fullerton and peeled the clear plastic off the pickguard myself. over the years, that finish has deteriorated in a strange way. It has become soft and odd. It has darkened up like nobody would ever expect a poly finish to darken. It almost has that same look and sticky feel as when latex is rotting, like what you'd see on a guitar stand. I can NOT use any kind of polish or cleaner on the guitar. None. I can't even wipe it with a damp cloth. The water will soak into the finish and it will look mottled, whitish, and hazy for a day or two. I suppose I could try some kind of mildly abrasive polish and try to get that 'dead' layer off it, but to be honest, it looks so friggin' awesome and butterscotch-y, I just let it go. I've never seen one age like this and I wouldn't wish it on anyone...just because I'm weird doesn't mean others have to be.

But.

Now I can smell it.

Funny thing about smells. It would seem as though if something smells (good or bad) it's a result of something volatizing and those molecules getting into our noses. Am I crazy or is that how it works? If that is so, then one would think there is a finite amount of material that can volatize. The smell would then HAVE to dissipate in time.

I'm sure if I wanted to, I could dismantle it and clean everything but the slab of ash and then set it outside this summer. Chemicals are out. Water is out. Might have to be up to ol' sol.

Thoughts? (besides taking up smoking again and not being such a whiny little b***?)

The GOOD news in all this is that in my previous quit events, I wasn't bothered by the smoke; in fact I didn't even SMELL it. Maybe this time it's for good.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this thread goes on, I might learn something.

I know the finish you are talking about, but I have never had one to the point you are describing, the deterioration I mean. What I DO know from personal experience, is that it's possible that top layer is basically just tobacco. It's sticky stuff when you start to get rid of it, and takes a couple goings. But it does come off.

Still, I don't know what might be underneath it. Again, never had one of those finishes to the point of deteriorating and becoming gooey or bad. Never even heard of it.

Now, without making a commentary of smoking, it DOES often look good on a guitar. Gives it a nice aged look and a darkening, and a nice wear pattern. If that's what is on the guitar, and you remove it, chances are it's going to be a different color and look when you are done. It will look much newer. Also, there will be areas where it seems you can't get all back to "clear", and might even show more dents than before. If that's the case, might look older. But in any case, if you embark to clean it, expect it to look different.

I still smoke, and have quit a couple times, and I recall that smell you smell. I really believe that non-smokers smell something, but those who WERE smokers smell something else. As far as that goes, I'm glad to hear of your success and sincerely hope that you don't take it up again.

With THAT, I might suggest a lot of the solution might be you just get used to it. Smell is a funny thing, what some people can tolerate or not tolerate. It might help in the cause of being a non-smoker, and help you stay that way. But hopefully, that isn't what will ultimately get you from smoking again. On the other hand, not being able to handle the smell will alienate your nose from a lot of people and places and things. It's tobacco, not dog piss.

Here's the problem. The Telecaster is a 1977 and was made when Fender was using what they called a Thick Skin finish. It was/is a heavy thick finish that a Tele snob would recoil from, but 'it is what it is' and I've owned it 38 years...took it out of the box marked Fullerton and peeled the clear plastic off the pickguard myself. over the years, that finish has deteriorated in a strange way. It has become soft and odd. It has darkened up like nobody would ever expect a poly finish to darken. It almost has that same look and sticky feel as when latex is rotting, like what you'd see on a guitar stand. I can NOT use any kind of polish or cleaner on the guitar. None. I can't even wipe it with a damp cloth. The water will soak into the finish and it will look mottled, whitish, and hazy for a day or two. I suppose I could try some kind of mildly abrasive polish and try to get that 'dead' layer off it, but to be honest, it looks so friggin' awesome and butterscotch-y, I just let it go. I've never seen one age like this and I wouldn't wish it on anyone...just because I'm weird doesn't mean others have to be.

I'm only 40 miles from a handful of mid-late 70's Fenders I grew up with that a couple guys still have and a couple still have ones I sold them or traded them. Yes, them finishes did that, and honestly, yer smokes had nothing to do with it. Two of the natural strats I'm thinking of were owned and gigged by me from early 70's until October of 84, and I was a seriously good full time smoker in them days. Those guitars passed into the hands of devout non-smokers who got the smell out and all, even changed cases, but years later the paint did the same.

Get it off there is all you can do. You'll clean it up just fine, but it'll get water under it and then it will just push off the wood, because as bad as it is on this side, it is just as bad on the other side, just a matter of time and opportunity for some condensation.

Good luck with it.

rct

I never fail to be amazed at the human capacity to discover more ways to polarize and alienate us from eachother. Fanatics on both sides of ANY such issues need to learn some empathy. Maybe we're just wired to embrace conflict and discord?

Having a generally bad day, so I hope nobody gets overly bent out of shape over my foregoing post. Meanwhile, I'd be more than pleased to accept donations of all the repulsive, smelly old Gibsons that any members find offensive!

I never fail to be amazed at the human capacity to discover more ways to polarize and alienate us from eachother. Fanatics on both sides of ANY such issues need to learn some empathy. Maybe we're just wired to embrace conflict and discord?

Yes this is true...although I sense or smell none of this from the OP (KSDADDY).

I don't know about other states or places, but here in Portland Ore it's a strange thing how polarized it is on the smoking issue. For many and those who make the laws, it is very, very bad to smoke, be a smoker, and it is "ok" to look down on those that do. But these very same people seem to be the advocates for legal dope. And the argument and reasoning in favor and against each are the same.

But you see, it's ok and acceptable to hate. But then it's totally unacceptable as well.

There are a LOT of activist here, and a lot of issues that "they" want others to take sides on. I could go on and on, but I'm afraid it would be crossing the line on the forum rules. But just to say that, yea, lots of hate if between sides, and easy to see the other side as hypocritical because it is, but not easy for the hypocrite to see. And I admit, even for myself, it is a struggle to get past the hate for the other side, and to easy to get sucked in. It takes effort.

I'm only 40 miles from a handful of mid-late 70's Fenders I grew up with that a couple guys still have and a couple still have ones I sold them or traded them. Yes, them finishes did that, and honestly, yer smokes had nothing to do with it. Two of the natural strats I'm thinking of were owned and gigged by me from early 70's until October of 84, and I was a seriously good full time smoker in them days. Those guitars passed into the hands of devout non-smokers who got the smell out and all, even changed cases, but years later the paint did the same.

Get it off there is all you can do. You'll clean it up just fine, but it'll get water under it and then it will just push off the wood, because as bad as it is on this side, it is just as bad on the other side, just a matter of time and opportunity for some condensation.

Good luck with it.

rct

This is me learning stuff.

Good luck with it.

rct

Agree with this. Clean it up - you will still love it, it will play just as well if not better.

I have a 1967 Tele and I have NO qualms at all about cleaning or polishing or getting ground-in dirt off. It's not 'mojo', it's gunk.

Had mine refretted, AND had the neck/board revarnished too. The areas where the varnish had worn away didn't look cool to me and made it harder to play.

I quit smoking in Jan 2013 and haven't had a cigarette (of ANY sort) since.

Nicotine stain - you don't notice, but it gets all over the house.

Before they passed the smoking laws there were quite a few years I'd get home at 2 or 3 in the morning and by orders of the Mrs. Throw all my clothes in the washer before coming to bed. And the cases would smell like ash trays.. I don't miss that.

Glad you're still free of the cigs, Scott. It will be 8 years for me this Sept. I react the same way you do to the smell of cigarettes and will do my best to remove myself from smoking environments asap or avoid them in the first place. I won't criticize smokers though as I know how hard it is to quit. I've bought a lot of guitars in the 8 years of not smoking. Nice to have the cash for a better use. As for cleaning the guitar, I haven't a clue. I will say that I jettisoned very single thing I had that had the stink on it from my home. Everything. Furniture, carpet, clothing, whatever. Gone. It was the only way for me. Good luck and keep it up.

I used to smoke casually between the ages of, say, 18 and 28. Never developed a habit—I never needed a cigarette. It was just something I did when I was out at parties, bars, etc. Drink in one hand and a cigarette in the other!

I quit those things completely in my late 20's, though. Today, when I smell cigarettes, I recoil and grimace. I don't know how I used to—or how anyone still does—smoke cigarettes.

Thankfully, I live in a region where smoking is banned in public places. I just need to hold my breath as I pass by a smoking zone.

Being sanctimonious here but I've never smoked at all.

I usually live and let live with peoples habits and preferences but the smell of cigarette smoke upsets me to the maximum!

I hate walking through it on the street and I dislike being near people that smoke heavily.

Sorry, but this is a physical reaction, not just me knocking smokers.

To get rid of the smoke smell get you some of those dryer sheets that make you cloths smell better,close you case even put one inside you guitar, you have no more smell.

4H

Thanks. I'll have to try this. I bought a '63 Guild Starfire IV and never gave a thought to cigarette smell until it arrived. EEEWWW.

As for quitting smoking, congrats to the OP. My doctor told me several years ago that the single most important decision I ever made regarding my overall health was to quit smoking. As with others here, I never wanted to be a sanctimonious ex smoker, but the smell just drives me bonkers. Fortunately (for me anyway), I live in an area that is predominantly non smoking.

Being sanctimonious here but I've never smoked at all.

I usually live and let live with peoples habits and preferences but the smell of cigarette smoke upsets me to the maximum!

I hate walking through it on the street and I dislike being near people that smoke heavily.

Sorry, but this is a physical reaction, not just me knocking smokers.

Tell St. Peter at the golden gate,I hate to make him wait but I gotta have another cigarette 🚬

Now I feel bad.

Pretty much every time I go downstairs to have a smoke (I don't smoke upstairs...even though it's my house and I am the only one who lives here), I open the Gibson forum and have a little read.

I'm a bad, dirty, smelly man.

To get rid of the smoke smell get you some of those dryer sheets that make you cloths smell better,close you case even put one inside you guitar, you have no more smell.

4H

This does work! I have a Gibson acoustic (CL-10) I bought on eBay that smelled like a bar when it arrived. I wiped it down as best I could. Then I stuck a couple dryer sheets inside it. Sprayed Febreeze in the case. It smelled better in a week, and now you'd never know now that it was ever smoke ridden.

Before they passed the smoking laws there were quite a few years I'd get home at 2 or 3 in the morning and by orders of the Mrs. Throw all my clothes in the washer before coming to bed. And the cases would smell like ash trays.. I don't miss that.

Yep - I'd always strip and go straight to the shower! I don't miss it either. I went to see a friend recently at a club that allows smoking and I came home smelling like the 80s. [biggrin]

We have played a few bars where smoking is still the thing.

I don't mind it too much.

As Karloff and surfpup indicated, I too would come home, strip off all my clothes, and throw them into the washing machine.

And then right into the tub with me, before hitting the bed for the night.

Guitars and amps get cleaned off the next day, with Gibson guitar polish, soft terri-cloth towels, and lots of love.

:)

Archived