Gibson Brands Forums

Cigarette smell

ksdaddy

Cigarette smoke can be tough to get rid of, even after years. When I was painting the inside of the first house I owned, it took me 5 coats of primer in the bathroom before the tar stains stopped seeping through. Someone who owned the house years before apparently liked to smoke on the toilet! Hope you get some good advice and get the smell out.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cigarette smoke can be tough to get rid of, even after years. When I was painting the inside of the first house I owned, it took me 5 coats of primer in the bathroom before the tar stains stopped seeping through. Someone who owned the house years before apparently liked to smoke on the toilet! Hope you get some good advice and get the smell out.

So true. My former neighbours were both heavy smokers. Due to bad business decisions they lost their home and my newish neighbours have had to essentially rip the guts out of it in order to get rid of the residual smell of cigarettes.

I have never smoked either. Like Digger, I can't stand to be around smokers and can pick it up easily down wind of someone. Mainly because it takes my breath away and I start coughing. Nothing hateful of those who do, I just have to get away from them, I am glad for those who gave it up and congrats to you. It is much better for your health. I have gone to several funerals of relatives who died of lung cancer that were heavy smokers. The one that will be in my mind forever was my wife's uncle who gave her away in our marriage. (She lost her Dad when she was 13.) James, was like 6'4" 260 lbs. and when he died of lung cancer he looked like a skeleton and weighed 130 lbs. It was hard to watch.

I have never smoked either. Like Digger, I can't stand to be around smokers and can pick it up easily down wind of someone. Mainly because it takes my breath away and I start coughing. Nothing hateful of those who do, I just have to get away from them, I am glad for those who gave it up and congrats to you. It is much better for your health. I have gone to several funerals of relatives who died of lung cancer that were heavy smokers. The one that will be in my mind forever was my wife's uncle who gave her away in our marriage. (She lost her Dad when she was 13.) James, was like 6'4" 260 lbs. and when he died of lung cancer he looked like a skeleton and weighed 130 lbs. It was hard to watch.

I thankfully never had any relatives die from smoking, but I battled with nicotine addiction myself for many years. I would switch back and forth between cigarettes and dip (fine ground chewing tobacco). I finally kicked tobacco for good at 35. The smell of cigarette smoke almost makes me gag now unless I've had a few drinks. On the rare occasions when I get a few drinks on board and see people smoking, I still want one BAD! Its easy to see how unpleasant it is when you don't do it, but equally easy to ignore the smell and health effects when you are a smoker.

I have smoked, and know how hard it is to quit.

I feel genuinely sorry for those that cant here in the uk, because they are treated appallingly. I will give you just one example.

The nurses at a nearby hospital are only permitted to smoke outside of the hospital grounds (not just the building). The grounds are extensive, so during their 10 minute break they dash to the perimeter gates to smoke. They probably only have 2 minutes to smoke, because they then have to hurry back. This is in all weathers of course.

They are not even allowed to smoke in their cars onsite.

It has been amazing how effective the smoking ban programme has been. If I hadn’t witnessed it myself, I never would have believed how successful and swift the change in uk culture has been.

For me, it’s been great. Smoking in public buildings is banned. No longer do I come home from a gig with my eyes stinging and my clothes reeking of tobacco.

I stopped smoking in about '93 and it never really bothered me too much if people were smoking. And it still doesn't. I have a great nose and I don't like the stale rette smell much, but, hey, things could be worse. In WalMart, there's people who haven't bathed in like a couple weeks. [crying]

I stopped smoking in about '93 and it never really bothered me too much if people were smoking. And it still doesn't. I have a great nose and I don't like the stale rette smell much, but, hey, things could be worse. In WalMart, there's people who haven't bathed in like a couple weeks. [crying]

If we could smoke in Wal*Mart I'd take it up again.

rct

At Wal*Mart,

you can wear your pjs,

you can wear your wife's pjs,

in fact, you can probably just wear your boxers and a wife beater T with flip flops,,,and a pink wig, and a tiara....

but,, it's true...

NO SMOKING ALLOWED...

kinda weird huh?

I remember working in a grocery store in high school when they created the indoor smoking ban. State? Federal? Not sure. But telling those old ladies they couldn't smoke while they shopped for their groceries was hard to do. Seems crazy now, but we had ash cans on the end of each aisle prior to the new laws. People just puffed away while shopping.

Also my first class in college, the prof would put his feet up on the desk and smoke while lecturing. Again, this seems crazy now, but it was normal then.

Smoking or non-smoking? Common question in restaurants back in the day. Man, if you were seated next to the smoking section, you might as well have been smoking yourself.

Final thought.... my first teaching job had a smokers lounge for teachers in the building (right next to the non-smokers teaching lounge). Within a few years the smoking teachers had to walk across the road and smoke in the woods. Relatedly there are a lot fewer teachers who smoke these days.

I remember working in a grocery store in high school when they created the indoor smoking ban. State? Federal? Not sure. But telling those old ladies they couldn't smoke while they shopped for their groceries was hard to do. Seems crazy now, but we had ash cans on the end of each aisle prior to the new laws. People just puffed away while shopping.

Also my first class in college, the prof would put his feet up on the desk and smoke while lecturing. Again, this seems crazy now, but it was normal then.

Smoking or non-smoking? Common question in restaurants back in the day. Man, if you were seated next to the smoking section, you might as well have been smoking yourself.

Final thought.... my first teaching job had a smokers lounge for teachers in the building (right next to the non-smokers teaching lounge). Within a few years the smoking teachers had to walk across the road and smoke in the woods. Relatedly there are a lot fewer teachers who smoke these days.

When my Dad was in college there were ashtrays in all the desks. They just smoked away during class like it was no big deal. I'm just old enough to remember when people could still smoke everywhere. That went away right around the same time as removable pull tabs on beer cans!

I bought cigarettes in any store at the age of 12 and nobody blinked. We smoked everywhere. I remember around 1980 when the local Radio Shack started selling more computers and there was a sign up near the computers that were on display, saying "No Smoking, Computers at Work" and I thought, jeez, how snotty!

(You could still smoke everywhere ELSE in the store...)

Everywhere was smoke. We didn't think a thing of it. And it never bothered us.

Never bothered us.

Now a staggering number of us. by FAR the majority...find it physically repulsive and sickening.

Let that sink in. And ask yourself, how much of that is cultural and how much of it is the tobacco that is used now. I'm not making any accusations against the tobacco companies, I'm just saying, give it a little thought.

Back to the Telecaster, tonight I poured about a half or 2/3 cup of ground coffee in a kitchen garbage bag, inserted the Tele's body in it, shook it up like Shake n Bake, and wrapped tape around the top of the bag (at about the 12th fret). I'll eave it a day or two and see what happens.

I bought cigarettes in any store at the age of 12 and nobody blinked. We smoked everywhere. I remember around 1980 when the local Radio Shack started selling more computers and there was a sign up near the computers that were on display, saying "No Smoking, Computers at Work" and I thought, jeez, how snotty!

(You could still smoke everywhere ELSE in the store...)

Everywhere was smoke. We didn't think a thing of it. And it never bothered us.

Never bothered us.

Now a staggering number of us. by FAR the majority...find it physically repulsive and sickening.

Let that sink in. And ask yourself, how much of that is cultural and how much of it is the tobacco that is used now. I'm not making any accusations against the tobacco companies, I'm just saying, give it a little thought.

Back to the Telecaster, tonight I poured about a half or 2/3 cup of ground coffee in a kitchen garbage bag, inserted the Tele's body in it, shook it up like Shake n Bake, and wrapped tape around the top of the bag (at about the 12th fret). I'll eave it a day or two and see what happens.

I NEVER considered that.

All I can say, is when I was young, before I smoked, it never bothered me in the least. Only during periods I quit could I smell anything, and it was different. VERY different.

Oddly, pot smells the same, even though it has been 20+ years. Although I will say the skunk stuff seems to be more popular, rather than the traditional refer we used to have most often.

My, things sure have changed fast. On the one hand, I long for the days when it was easy, and people seemed more accepting. And I have to admit, there is an aspect of "rights" that bother me about it. (popular opinion did not prevail). On the other hand, I am glad to see less taking up the habit, and I'm glad it's harder for the kids.

There is an element to it, the smoking issue, that bothers me. It's better, far better, if smoking is discouraged, even one day eliminated. But HOW we went about it doesn't seem right to me. Almost feel like we traded freedom and truth for health benefits. But is that what it takes? It really seems so.

making cigarettes stinky does seem like a good approach. And it IS a fact that the cigs we are smoking now are different than the ones we used to smoke, even just the fact they aren't as flammable.

I really think the worst non smokers are ex-smokers. Me being one of them.

I quit going on 4 years ago. I can't stand the smell or being around it.

However if I do get on the rare but still occasional bender I will smoke that night and be done with it.

Never thinking of it again. And again be repelled by the stink if even the car in front of me wafts in.

When my Dad was in college there were ashtrays in all the desks. They just smoked away during class like it was no big deal.

I'm that old. I remember smoking in airplanes, movie theaters, even the hospital.

You never put out your butt when you went in a store, you just took it in with you.

There were no off limits anywhere.

And I have to admit, there is an aspect of "rights" that bother me about it. (popular opinion did not prevail).

"rights" is a 2 way street. Even those evil non smokers have rights.

hehe.

Oddly, pot smells the same, even though it has been 20+ years. Although I will say the skunk stuff seems to be more popular, rather than the traditional refer we used to have most often.

That's because the traditional reefer was crap. And skunk smells waaaay better than the old 3 finger lid crap. ;)

1463462156[/url]' post='1770004']

I thankfully never had any relatives die from smoking, but I battled with nicotine addiction myself for many years. I would switch back and forth between cigarettes and dip (fine ground chewing tobacco). I finally kicked tobacco for good at 35. The smell of cigarette smoke almost makes me gag now unless I've had a few drinks. On the rare occasions when I get a few drinks on board and see people smoking, I still want one BAD! Its easy to see how unpleasant it is when you don't do it, but equally easy to ignore the smell and health effects when you are a smoker.

I remember when I was just a toddler, my dad smoked a pipe. He would blow smoke rings in my face while I was on his lap. I grew up with relatives and friends who smoked. It really didn't bother me until after I married. I can relate to addiction as I'm addicted to caffeine or sugar I think. Coffee, soda or chocolate Baby! The wife tells me to drink diet soda to help kick the habit but that's like telling me to drink a can of urine, cause I can't stand the taste of diet.

1463495774[/url]' post='1770099']

At Wal*Mart,

you can wear your pjs,

you can wear your wife's pjs,

in fact, you can probably just wear your boxers and a wife beater T with flip flops,,,and a pink wig, and a tiara.

Wife beater shirt? Thought my wife was making up that term. She won't let me wear a tank top out with her. That's what she calls it too, but it's ok for women to wear them out with the husband. Maybe guys should call women's tank tops, hooker shirts lol. You can't wear that hooker shirt out with me! msp_flapper.gif

"rights" is a 2 way street. Even those evil non smokers have rights.

hehe.

Oh I agree. When I refer to "rights", I actually don't mean smokers vs non-smokers, I mean the rights of the bars and restaurant owners to make their own rules. Basically, where I think that comes in is where the "individuals" decide for themselves, rather than one group telling the other group what they can or can't do.

What ever happened to, "Mind if I smoke?". To me, that is being respectful of another's "rights" as far as non-smoking. Although, neither is a right, it's called courtesy. Where rights come in is having the "right" to decide if smoking is allowed or not, in their house or their place of business. People don't have the right to smoke or not smoke in a public place or someones house or establishment.

I guess one way of putting it, is courtesy is and never was a "right", BUT it's also important. It gets confusing when we have replaced courtesy and manners with the idea it's a "right". So now, as a result, some have lost rights and we all gave up courtesy.

Smokers don't like making non-smokers nauseous or uncomfortable, either. But what seems odd to me, is back when smoking went on everywhere all the time, "we" seemed to all get along better. Why is that?

I fully understand that my sense of smell has changed since quitting but....

Diesel exhaust still smells the same.

Apple pie still smells the same.

Coffee still smells the same.

Farts still smell the same.

You get the idea. The only things I can think of that have changed are the smell of urine and cigarettes. Urine has an acrid smell to me now that never was before. And residual cigarette odor smells NOTHING like it used to. Not even on the same planet. It now has some sort of odd stale perfume smell that I've never smelled before in my life and can't find the words to describe or think of anything it remotely smells like.

And the effect on me is not only disagreeable but.... how can I describe it... there are certain smells that get into your nose and just hang there a long time....a wet dog for example. Another is a hamper with wet dirty mildewy laundry. A horrible one is Tractor Supply. Not sure what it is they sell in that store that permeates everything but I bought a hand truck there 3 months ago and it STILL smells like the inside of that store. One good one is the smell of a grass fire. Just TRY and get that out of your nose.

The more I think about it, the more I wonder if it's not even tobacco I'm smelling. I wonder if it's one of the many chemicals.

I fully understand that my sense of smell has changed since quitting but....

Diesel exhaust still smells the same.

Apple pie still smells the same.

Coffee still smells the same.

Farts still smell the same.

Sounds like a non-stop party at yer house.

rct

... Tractor Supply. Not sure what it is they sell in that store that permeates everything but I bought a hand truck there 3 months ago and it STILL smells like the inside of that store

I think it's the light machine oil. Everything that's metal in there is sprayed with light machine oil. Probably the inside of the tubing of the hand truck is sprayed with it. I'll bet the whole country of China is sprayed with light machine oil.

Archived