Gibson Brands Forums

Stupid trades / losses of guitars

blindboygrunt

Suggested that a thread was started about dumb guitar moves

I split with a woman and sold house , went to rented house , got myself in bother and decided to sell my j45 at the time to buy a little time to pay rent etc

All it did was buy a little time

I should've walked out and threw the guitar in the car

Was a huge deal for me to get back on my feet and get a j45 back again. Apart from being a fantastic guitar it's a reminder of a low time hiding from the landlord and how grateful I should be now that things aren't so bad

I got £700 for the guitar .

There's a dumb move to start the thread

well Stu, you did what you felt was right to keep your head above water. Sometimes, you feel you have no choice.

I've made some dumb dealings myself, but I rarely "sell" a guitar.. (which probably explains why I have 22 guitars right?)

I traded my 73 LP Deluxe in 79 for an Ibanez MC400 (nice guitar and all, but that paul, probably should have kept)

To add salt to the wound, about 15 years ago, I traded the MC400 for a Digitech RP-something or other (that was stupid!)

The MC400 and I had traveled many miles, played thousands of shows, and it was a time when I could only afford 1..

sentimental value was worth 5x what it was worth on trade (about $400 back then).. I wound up HATING the Digitech pedal, and ditched it for a song. so trade 1, yep it was dumb, trade 2, even worse...

The only other regret... Which falls in line with your story. My son got himself in a little bit of trouble with the local PD, (a DUI arrest at 19 years old - long time ago.. he's 37 now..).

I had a gorgeous Ovation (Made in USA) Super Shallow Bowl 12 string cutaway that I'd just bought a few years prior (That guitar sounded like a carnival when you plugged her in, it was awesome.

I sold it to some guy over in the UK for just about what I paid for it, to pay for the attorney fees during my kids adventure with the court system. The case wound up continued without a finding, and was dismissed after 2 years. It was hist first (and happily his last offense) The Attorney seemed to be able to work magic with the prosecutor, so maybe it was for the best?

Either way, I never replaced that one, and still wish at times I had a 12 string.

/Ray

Wow, Grunt. Quite a can of worms opened here.........

Had a menial job in OKC, lived alone in very modest accommodations, when I got a call from an old G.I. friend in Charleston.........man it's great over here! you gotta get here! we got a band and i got a guitar for you! Really?!? So I sold my Gibson SG, my Fender Bandmaster amp and other assorted stuff, quit the job, loaded what was left in my '66 Mustang and drove east. One of life's turning points.....for the worse. No guitar. No band. Five stoned drunks living in an un-airconditioned, flea infested duplex next to a bowling alley parking lot off Rivers Avenue. Slept on a bare tile floor. Food stamps fed us. Regular trips to the blood bank to get a few dollars. Too deep in the fog of drugs and alcohol to get a job. Took a long, long time to climb out of that hole.

As the song says, knowin' where you're goin' is mostly knowin' where you have been.

I once had an American Tele and an early Reinhardt 18 watt Marshall clone that was stupid good together. I know, I know! I was selling the Tele to fund a strat and the guy that bought it from me and I were chatting. Apparently his family owned a business making and installing dual pane windows. I live on a busy street... I am glad I got the windows and he got a KILLER deal on a Tele and an amp and I got a KILLER deal on some windows but sometimes I wonder how I could have had a great rig one day and then "poof"! Gone.

I traded my Telecaster for a Gibson Les Paul that I just had to have, played the gigs with the band and realized the LP wasn't working out for ALL songs, just some, and that if I heard: "What happened to the Tele?" one more time, well..... I don't know what I could say.

So I went back to the shop where I traded the Tele and it was still on the wall, so I said I would take it back. The shop owner charged me $250 more than I traded it because they had 'done some work on it"? Which meant somebody had dropped it while playing it in the shop and they did a refinish on the headstock, which looked fine when I bought the guitar back but a few months later it was obvious the finish was different..... [cursing]

And the previous dream amp, my Fender combo, was nowhere near loud enough to be heard next to this band of megalomaniacs I joined and was swapped in a complicated arrangement they organised where A got C, B got D and I got a Marshall head but no speakers.....so had to buy the speakers later... And then A had an argument with D and C quit and etc etc....all over. And I had this massive amp setup to lug up stairs instead of my Fender combo... [crying]

BluesKing777.

I don't think mine was a stupid letting one get away thing, but one that had an impact. In 1974 I wanted a dreadnaught Gibson, so I traded my 1965 hollow body Epiphone Century for a new 1972 Gibson Southern Jumbo Deluxe (and borrowed the diff from my then girlfriend). I still have the SJD, but then proceeded to buy about 40 more guitars over the next 40 or so years, never really selling or trading another one, because I kinda always missed the Epiphone Century and didn't want to go through missing one that I let get away. Oh, then there is the name synchronicity with my most recent purchase being an Epiphone Century Series Masterbilt Olympic. Guess I was meant to have some kind of an Epiphone Century in my collection after all.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Seems like part of owning expensive instruments is losing money on them when you sell them (except for maybe one you can call "vintage"). Don't know that I've ever made money on any guitar I've sold. Kind of "broke even" on my J45 Standard, but that was as good as it gets. Seems they all depreciate, just some do it slower than others.

I once had an American Tele and an early Reinhardt 18 watt Marshall clone that was stupid good together. I know, I know! I was selling the Tele to fund a strat and the guy that bought it from me and I were chatting. Apparently his family owned a business making and installing dual pane windows. I live on a busy street... I am glad I got the windows and he got a KILLER deal on a Tele and an amp and I got a KILLER deal on some windows but sometimes I wonder how I could have had a great rig one day and then "poof"! Gone.

Still have my Reinhardt!

I bought a brand new cherry sunburst J45 in 1963. My first good acoustic. Traded a Rickenbacker and added some cash to get it. In 1965 I entered the Air Force and ended up at Eglin AFB Florida. Pay was low and I had a new bride with me, so I took the J45 into a pawn shop. The guy really "saw me coming", and offered me $65. for it. Well, as I said times were tough and that was a weeks pay then, so I sold it.

I've thought about that guitar a thousand times over the years. Not long ago I found a sweet 62 J45 and it went home with me.

Rb

I am with FB. I dont have any hard luck stories. I have been blessed my whole life. Some of it is because I have one speed - "go". But half of it is cosmic lottery.

I am glad to know the folks here. Grunt - we are brothers. I am just thrilled you have your J45 now, and that I can hear it.

Oh wait... Small story. I was graduating college in 1988. My gal had dumped me the year before (I am married to her now). I tried to convince her to come back to me - unsuccessfully. I left on the day of my graduation. No parents to come (they were immigrants and didnt know that things like graduations were events to go to). I drove on the way out of Binghamton to a local music store. Traded my '77 Strat and my amp for a crappy ovation. That strat and I played many gigs in college. What a dope. I just wanted to wash everything clean and get out of Dodge.

My story is not about a trade .

But I have always had an addictive personality.

And even though I am younger than most here ...I have had my share of poor choices and been in places where I should not have been.

I've played my guitars with tears in my eyes and I have also played them with a smile on my face.Many people have let me down and done bad ...But I always had a guitar close by .They are the friends that will never let us down

JC

Good stories here - and a good idea for a thread.

I would like to know the differences between your 2 45's bbg - pros and cons, if it was hard to accept the new one due to certain misses and so on.

Could be interesting now that we know how fond you are of the current.

Yes, I was knocked out by tax-authorities in the 90's. They sure had me groggy and it was like walking around in flames.

Still I never sold nor my LP's or my dear D-35 - thought it would make me go under.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . Lesson -

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Don't ever betray or let down your squire

Seems like part of owning expensive instruments is losing money on them when you sell them (except for maybe one you can call "vintage"). Don't know that I've ever made money on any guitar I've sold. Kind of "broke even" on my J45 Standard, but that was as good as it gets. Seems they all depreciate, just some do it slower than others.

And that, my friend, is why I tend to avoid buying new. The ups and downs of my life have been pretty extreme at times, and most often used holds its value to a greater extent. Seems like, to this day, I can't own a Martin without expecting it'll have to be liquidated eventually. Gibsons, now, I've done better retaining. Also try to avoid buying guitars in markets like we're experiencing currently. If I had a tattoo of every 'keeper' I've had to sell, I'd be total ink👀

My story is not about a trade....I've played my guitars with tears in my eyes and I have also played them with a smile on my face.Many people have let me down and done bad ...But I always had a guitar close by .They are the friends that will never let us down."

JC

I got my first guitar when I was a kid—a dime store novelty in a coffin-shaped brown cardboard box from a country that probably doesn't exist anymore. It was a Christmas present from grandparents that loved me enough to listen when I was asked what I wanted for Christmas—I mean Trini had a guitar and if I was going to grow up to be like him shouldn't I get started? I was nine.

Since then, more years than not, I've had a guitar with me in all my bedrooms, one-room, and no-room apartments. And whereas Mel Bay and I broke it off after two years of a bitter, off-again–off-again relationship, I've almost always had a curvaceous mahogany-skinned friend to share my troubles.

I had to leave my first guitar behind at my mom's house when I scrambled south to start a new life away from my family of origin, if not much else. I often wished I could have rescued that guitar and the cardboard box from the bedroom closet it was trapped in when I narrowly escaped. It was my good friend who never left me even though it knew the secrets that no one else ever did.

In a corner of the closet

behind a blanket all alone

A little boy is hiding

because his daddy just came home

He catches the smell of whiskey

and of sweat on a man grown cold

So he closes his eyes and prays,

"Jesus please come and take me home."

While I never got to play that song on my first guitar, it was there with me in the room during those years. Together with the guitars I have today it is among, as JC wrote, "the friends that will never let us down."

Nothing so dramatic as BBG or Buc. I have let some instruments slide by in impulse trades that have since gone up in value, among them a Jazzmaster, Tele, and a refin Strat. I've done better with flattops--only took 3 moves to get to my J35. I dont regret the Fenders much, but there was a Gretsch Nashville that is missed.

2 shure mics and one other. Cables, cords, stands. 1 Roland amp, 4/10 Yamaha speaker box, a metal flake Kustom tuck and roll amp, Kustom lead 1 amp, another stack, mixer, phaser, and a cassette recorder (with the old push buttons). However, I left, with my life long friend, my acoustic guitar. In other words, I never forgot my guitar. Regret ? Nope. My boy has it now. The best thing about all of it, I took all the memories with it ! I could never leave my guitar behind. Not my bread and butter, but the happiness with playing and songs bringing a little happiness with it.

Archived