Gibson Brands Forums

Hoarding and our King

splake

Are vintage 175s & hummingbirds worth a premium price? yes, maybe so.

An old acoustic instrument can sound better with age (check out cellos & violas). So a vintage one can sound richer & more complex than a new one. If it was good to start with, and has been extensively played and cared for.

But a vintage solidbody electric guitar? The only difference is that its older. Other than the pickups falling output, the thing will never sound any different. Everyones LP will be that old one day. Will it make 'em any better? No.

Or were they just better in the 50s? I doubt it. There are thousands of good luthiers who could build a new guitars every bit as good as any 'vintage' one. Probably better most of the time.

So let the hoarders do their thing. They might just as well hoard refrigerators. Everybody knows they made better ice in the 50s right?

But a vintage solidbody electric guitar? The only difference is that its older. Other than the pickups falling output, the thing will never sound any different. Everyones LP will be that old one day. Will it make 'em any better? No.

And today's Gibson prices - while seemingly high - are actually in line with what they were in 1959.

1959 Les Paul around $350

2016 Les Paul Standard around $2600 -$2800

$300 adjusted for inflation = $2902

I stopped being envious of other peoples success/money/talent/women, a long time ago...

This.

I'll never ever own a '62 Ferrari 250 GTO; an original sketch by da Vinci; a stately home complete with liveried footmen and a 1000 acre deer park nor a '59 Les Paul Standard. So what? Why should I care that others CAN own them? In fact I'm GLAD others can own them.

Or were they just better in the 50s? I doubt it. There are thousands of good luthiers who could build a new guitar every bit as good as any 'vintage' one. Probably better most of the time...

This.

I'll never be able to put this theory to the test, of course, but I'd be willing to bet that a really good 2016 R9 will play and sound just as good - if not better - that the majority of the originals.

Pip.

I think playing and collecting are two completely different pastimes/passions, with very different intentions, motivations...and perspective on value driven by these intentions and motivations. To look at collecting through a player's eyes is likely to lead down the path we see articulated here. I personally prefer 'celebrity' collectors who will likely acquire more fairly (they have an image/reputation that is important to them) and preserve the old gear (they have no need of the money to sell) than 'dealers' who take advantage at purchase (just when did 'scavenging' become cleansed as 'picking') and then take advantage when selling.

Then again, would the collectors revere and pay what they do if the players didn't covet these things so much, and would the players covet them so much if the collectors didn't make them so unattainable?

This.

I'll never be able to put this theory to the test, of course, but I'd be willing to bet that a really good 2016 R9 will play and sound just as good - if not better - that the majority of the originals.

Pip.

Me neither... but it has been done. I couldn't tell the difference. But video isn't being in the room either.

This one is a custom shop model that Bernie is comparing to his '59

This one is interesting.... a big difference in the un-amplified tones and volumes..

Frankly, a lot of people that want those vintage guitars want to do the very thing they complain about, they just don't have the resources to do it and hence the complaining.

Another aspect of vintage guitars and gear that I have noticed is that some players want vintage gear for looks and status.

Like I said in a previous post, if I had the coin, I would probably hoard with the best of them, I would like to think I wouldn't but I probably would fall into the same trap.

Yeah, if I hit the powerball tonight [tonight's the night!], my collection would undoubtedly increase, as would the space for it, but I still wouldn't see much sense in having more than one of each kind/model. smile.gif

Charlie Brown,

It looks like you kept that J-160E in perfect shape, too.

Old Cowboy,

I don't know if you saw the thread a year or two ago - someone noticed Gibson's marketing department is touting the painstaking attention too detail on their historic series, all the way down to the plastic parts, in an effort to entice the buyer to open their wallet. That was too tempting a target to pass up.

I'm with Cougar, it makes more sense to me to have guitars which are noticeably different as opposed to having a whole wall full of the same thing.

Charlie Brown,

It looks like you kept that J-160E in perfect shape, too.

Old Cowboy,

I don't know if you saw the thread a year or two ago - someone noticed Gibson's marketing department is touting the painstaking attention too detail on their historic series, all the way down to the plastic parts, in an effort to entice the buyer to open their wallet. That was too tempting a target to pass up.

I'm with Cougar, it makes more sense to me to have guitars which are noticeably different as opposed to having a whole wall full of the same thing.

If I could, and I can't, one of each would be nice - with backups for the most often played😋 The plastic molecules must be a real factor if it came from marketing😂

I LIKE "tinfoil hat time"! Entertaining, food for thought... And I mean that in a nice and respectful way.

That said, the only reason I'd like a vintage 50s LP is so I could sell it. (Not to Richard Gere, though.) The whole vintage thing seems to appeal to lotta folk. "Aging" guitars? Don't things decay and break fast enough as it is?

But that's me. Maybe the guitars sound better after half a decade. I've no idea.

Archived