Gibson Brands Forums

Afraid of going down to 1 guitar / Selling off my other acoustics?

sbpark

Ah, to be dept free....I wonder what that feels like. Oh well, maybe someday. In the mean time I will enjoy my guitars, and when the debt is gone, it will be time to save up and buy another one. I think if I had waited to buy later then I might not ever have them. It's like, if you wait to have kids until you can afford them, would you ever have them?

I don't have kids...and got a vasectomy less than a week ago, so that's not an issue.

I don't have kids...and got a vasectomy less than a week ago, so that's not an issue.

Then you should go treat yourself to a new guitar for the pain and suffering! However, in this case I meant the collective "you", not just you. I remember reading a comment that an old man made about his new J 200. His main point was that he should have got it decades before and his cost per year of ownership of his dream guitar would have been very reasonable compared to the few years he figured he could still play it. I guess that is one way to look at it. That could be a very dangerous mindset if you apply it to more than just the dream guitar.

Despite being in the middle of a short buying spree, I did downsize a little last year moving 12 of my guitars.

I was maxed out on the quantity my music room could hold and still had a few on my bucket list that I needed to make room for.

Here was my line of thinking

First, I had a few I just did not bond with although they were really nice guitars so they were an easy choice

Second, others that I liked were standard models that I could find and buy any day of the week in case I had remorse ( I haven't)

Third, I wanted to prove that I could sell a group and wind up with what I though they were worth

Something else I'm doing is loaning out some of my 'I don't know if I want to keep' guitars to friends to see if I miss them. I'm recalling one of them this weekend, I miss it.

Just my opinion, all your guitars are current standard models that you can always replace. Do what your gut tells you.

Props. Got mine in 1982. Kids and bands don't work, that was our reasoning. 37 years married this year.

rct

Props. Got mine in 1982. Kids and bands don't work, that was our reasoning. 37 years married this year.

rct

Another 'Aha Moment'. I think I read somewhere that it costs approximately Four Years Salary to raise a kid. We had 4 kids before I got neutered. Now I understand why I only was able to afford 1 Gibson guitar until they all moved out.

Another 'Aha Moment'. I think I read somewhere that it costs approximately Four Years Salary to raise a kid. We had 4 kids before I got neutered. Now I understand why I only was able to afford 1 Gibson guitar until they all moved out.

I was playing a Squire until mine moved out

If I were you, I would not go down to one guitar. Heep your AJ and your HD28....Seriously, selling your HD28 might yield $1900 bucks, and the 000-15 $700 bucks. Its not going to affect your retirement. Keep all three and enjoy them. GAS may make you sell one, and buy the J200, and then a year later you'll switch gears and try a collings and sell one of them... and in the end they all will sound good enough and just fine.

I agree with Sal...

Also, I don't understand the goal of having only one guitar. I can understand OWNING only one guitar...I just don't get having multiple guitars and having a goal of getting back to owning just one. It doen's seem like such an accomplishment to be something to worry about ad work towards...

Then you should go treat yourself to a new guitar for the pain and suffering! However, in this case I meant the collective "you", not just you. I remember reading a comment that an old man made about his new J 200. His main point was that he should have got it decades before and his cost per year of ownership of his dream guitar would have been very reasonable compared to the few years he figured he could still play it. I guess that is one way to look at it. That could be a very dangerous mindset if you apply it to more than just the dream guitar.

Another thing I forgot t mention yesterday...got an email from an investment company telling me I needed to update my address and contact info. I usually just trash those emails, and this wasn't even the company that currently manages my 403b. Decided to update my info anyway and found over $16k in an old 403b account I forgot about. Immediately thought I could get that SJ200! Then I came back down to reality and went through the process of having it transferred to my current 403b account with the current company. Talk about being a responsible adult!

we had two kids, boy+girl, stopped there..

now four grandkids. Love em to death.

3 live in with us in the flat upstairs.. my daughter struggles financially, so, a lot of resources go to keep them afloat.

but, I still have the lot of axes that I do really have no intent to sell, (all totaled about 20, with 16 that are valid keeper/players.)

I only have one that I'm considering offing, (my chet atkins elitist... pickups are meh, and I'm not sure want to hassle with upgrading. I could fetch a good load of cash for that one.. :-k

we had two kids, boy+girl, stopped there..

now four grandkids. Love em to death.

3 live in with us in the flat upstairs.. my daughter struggles financially, so, a lot of resources go to keep them afloat.

but, I still have the lot of axes that I do really have no intent to sell, (all totaled about 20, with 16 that are valid keeper/players.)

I only have one that I'm considering offing, (my chet atkins elitist... pickups are meh, and I'm not sure want to hassle with upgrading. I could fetch a good load of cash for that one.. :-k

Can I share the sentiments there with you with the guitars? hehehe!

Yup they were somewhat easy to get at first where there's a will there is a way mantra, but hard to let go now. [biggrin]

Trans

Another thing I forgot t mention yesterday...got an email from an investment company telling me I needed to update my address and contact info. I usually just trash those emails, and this wasn't even the company that currently manages my 403b. Decided to update my info anyway and found over $16k in an old 403b account I forgot about. Immediately thought I could get that SJ200! Then I came back down to reality and went through the process of having it transferred to my current 403b account with the current company. Talk about being a responsible adult!

Oh if I had a pound for every 16 grand I'd forgot about I'd be rich

Good grief

Oh if I had a pound for every 16 grand I'd forgot about I'd be rich

Good grief

Yeah, wouldn't that be nice, right? Trust me, I've been very irresponsible with money all my life (not knowing about that retirement account as a prime example). And it's not like i have loads in the bank, etc. I live in a 405 square foot cottage (moved out of a house several months ago to save money), drive a Subaru and am just on a mission to get rid of all my debt and attempt to lan better for my future. It's not like I have crap guitars now. Just don't have as many, which I'm totally fine with. I'm in a good position now where I make darn good money, no kids, no mortgage, etc. Once I crush the remainder of my student loan debt I'll be debt free and can pretty much do whatever i want after that. Sacrificing for a short time to have a much easier future with more options is my goal. No guarantees by any means, but if I have to suck it up for a year, year and a half I think it's a risk worth taking!

Get them all out of their cases and on stands where you can just grab which ever one you want to play and play them when ever you want.

After a year if you still feel like selling the Martins and getting a SJ 200 then go for it.

Life is to short to worry about how many guitars you have or play.

Yeah, wouldn't that be nice, right? Trust me, I've been very irresponsible with money all my life (not knowing about that retirement account as a prime example). And it's not like i have loads in the bank, etc. I live in a 405 square foot cottage (moved out of a house several months ago to save money), drive a Subaru and am just on a mission to get rid of all my debt and attempt to lan better for my future. It's not like I have crap guitars now. Just don't have as many, which I'm totally fine with. I'm in a good position now where I make darn good money, no kids, no mortgage, etc. Once I crush the remainder of my student loan debt I'll be debt free and can pretty much do whatever i want after that. Sacrificing for a short time to have a much easier future with more options is my goal. No guarantees by any means, but if I have to suck it up for a year, year and a half I think it's a risk worth taking!

You're the first "irresponsible" person I've heard of who misplaces 16K in his OWN bank account! You've got a great case of Midas Alzheimers.

You're the first "irresponsible" person I've heard of who misplaces 16K in his OWN bank account! You've got a great case of Midas Alzheimers.

It's not in my "own" bank account. it was a retirement account that took pre-tax dollars from my paycheck and was put into a retirement account in my name, managed by an third-party investment company. Never knew about it, and thought I wasn't contributing anything to it the couple years I was with that employer. This is different than a checking/savings account.

It's not in my "own" bank account. it was a retirement account that took pre-tax dollars from my paycheck and was put into a retirement account in my name, managed by an third-party investment company. Never knew about it, and thought I wasn't contributing anything to it the couple years I was with that employer. This is different than a checking/savings account.

Scots accent: "Could ya lend us a quid - ya know I'll pay ya back?" [biggrin]

BluesKing777.

Everything's relative. You could probably construct an algebraic equation solving for X' where 'X' represents the Value (volume x cost) of guitars a person should have.

MI = your monthly income (ten year average)

SD= your student loan debt

CCD = your credit card debt

CD = your CDs

IRA = your IRA's

A= your age

PSS = projected monthly Social Security Payments net of Medicare premium deductible

DC = # of dependent children

M= # of motorcycles

FB= # of fishing boats

AP = alimony payments

SFC = square footage of the cottage you live in

AC= the age of the car you drive

CP = your monthly car payment

BB = monthly beer budget

FF= family food/ monthly caloric intake x $5 per calorie

THE MAGIC FORMULAE:

MI - (BB) =X

In other words, However much money you have in your pocket, after you've gotten paid on Thursday and buy your 12 Pack on the way home, is how much you can spend on guitars.

Whatever $ is left over is what can be spread out to pay off things like Mortgages, car payments, student loan debt and food.

For me - the answer was X = 3 .

That makes a lot of sense. If you have no dept at all then it wouldn't take very long to save up the money for what ever guitar you want.

Archived