Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson shooting themselves in the foot?

sbpark

Actually this thread is reminding me of my Guitar Shop Rant thread that I posted not so long ago.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/135302-guitar-shop-rant/

Its these experiences that actually make me prefer buying at least the smaller stuff online.. If I buy a guitar I generally want to try it first as they are all so different.. If not you are taking a chance just getting whatever guitar they decide to send you.

BUT as we say... those days may be coming to an end... (well as we knew it anyway)

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually this thread is reminding me of my Guitar Shop Rant thread that I posted not so long ago.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/135302-guitar-shop-rant/

Its these experiences that actually make me prefer buying at least the smaller stuff online.. If I buy a guitar I generally want to try it first as they are all so different.. If not you are taking a chance just getting whatever guitar they decide to send you.

BUT as we say... those days may be coming to an end.,,

Seize the gap in the market, Rabs. Perhaps you should approach PMT and tell them that you will only let them stock your guitars if they take a minimum order. Might impress them by appearing to be a large-scale maker.

Seize the gap in the market, Rabs. Perhaps you should approach PMT and tell them that you will only let them stock your guitars if they take a minimum order. Might impress them by appearing to be a large-scale maker.

Lol.. I think im just going to stay out of it all if I can for as long as I can..

If this has been happening so long Stateside, why do so many folks here keep up the mantra of 'always play before you buy'? According to this thread, what that advice effectively amounts to is: 'one of the 3 random Gibsons in your local store is bound to be a better instrument than one of the many random instruments available online'. An interesting take on the principles of probability there.

Actually, every single time I've been lucky enough to be able to try at least three of any given model side by side, acoustic or electric, one has always stood out significantly as the better instrument - and I'm talking in-store, let alone what an online crapshoot might send you.

My guess is that many instruments satisfyingly purchased online would not hold up as the best of their breed, but how would you ever know without being able to A-B them?

So in the end, another content online customer shuffles off into the sunset. Guess that's about as good as it gets these days.

No matter what, when i enter a shop and there's no Gibby, even with fine Martins and Guilds around, i just walk out.

A good acoustic guitar shop must have both Martins and Gibsons to get my attention.

I used to feel that way too. Except eh only store that had any Gibsons was GC and I hate that place. Bottom line is I have owned around 15 different Gibson acoustics and I bought every one of them off of the web from private owners or small shops. Never played one of them before buying (but always made sure I had a right to return). Used to think the sun rose and set with Gibson. Then I tried a Martin. Same scenario, all bought on line. And a Collings and a Bourgeois..you get the picture. I still have 2 Gibsons out of my pruned collection of 6 down from around 18 at one time. Never say never. I promise you, Henry doesn't care.

Who in Leominster?

ah yes, good old lemontown massachoooosetts

he must mean our boy Dan at city music. Great guy! (store Owner - MARK - is great guy too)

Nick u know about leominster? I must hear more..

he must mean our boy Dan at city music. Great guy! (store Owner - MARK - is great guy too)

I lived in RI for 30+ years.

I lived in RI for 30+ years.

[thumbup]

Growing up here, I always think of this as a small town, and surprised when people ask where we're from, and they'll immediately know the city and the surrounding area.

Thx Nick!

I thought I messed up and it shoulda been he lives in Leh Minstah and works over in Woo Stir.

God you guys talk worse than the Great Britlanders.

rct

DON'T LIKE, DON'T READ.

Funny, that works for all the performance videos that some folks, not me, were griping about not long ago at all now.

Pretty simple, even gradeoners can figure that out.

You guys are fast becoming a teeny weeny version of the AGF. Maybe you shouldn'ta traded yer sense of humor for that latest acquisition.

rct

I'm thinking of starting a business selling big wooden spoons

Think I'd do quite well in here

I've been looking for a nice set of big fork and spoon to put on the wall in my kitchen. Maple is nice but a little on the bright side. Rosewood lacks the nice mid range that I really like. So mahogany might be the right choice. I would like the chance to try them before I buy them though, unless you have a liberal return policy, can you make sure to distribute them to several stores in my area so I can try out as many as possible to make sure before I commit to a pair that I have found the right one?

What I know - with certainty - is that I know absolutely nothing about the marketing and retailing of guitars.

Well you know what they say.. Ignorance is bliss.. :)

You are better off that way ;)

Archived