Gibson Brands Forums

Sgt. Pepper's 50th Anniversary

darling67

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I first heard the Beatles in 1962 (couple of years before Ed Sullivan), they instantly became my favourite group. I was 8 years old.

By the time Sgt Pepper came out, I was more interested in King Crimson & Pink Floyd. I still liked it though. When I heard 'A Day in the Life' it made the hair on the back of my neck stand on end. It was Johns alternating semitones that triggered it. In fact, I can’t listen to the song without remembering that day.

When I first heard the Beatles in 1962 (couple of years before Ed Sullivan), they instantly became my favourite group. I was 8 years old.

By the time Sgt Pepper came out, I was more interested in King Crimson & Pink Floyd. I still liked it though. When I heard 'A Day in the Life' it made the hair on the back of my neck stand on end. It was Johns alternating semitones that triggered it. In fact, I can’t listen to the song without remembering that day.

It still does that, to me! John Lennon had one of the most Iconic voices, in Rock! IMHO... Even though he said he always

hated his voice! Such emotion, from "Anna," to screaming "Twist and Shout," to "In My Life, to A Day In The Life!" I loved

his voice! [thumbup]

CB

As some of you may already know, this boxed set comes with a 5.1 Surround mix on the DVD and Bluray discs. A friend from work, who doesn't have the set but does have a Surround Sound system at home, invited me over to listen to the 5.1 mix... and determine if he needs to buy it for himself.

Holy Moley!!! Needless to say, he will be buying his own soon.

Just got a hard copy of it yesterday. I downloaded it a few days ago. Great album, but when are we gonna get the Uber Mega Ultra The Beatles album AKA The White Album. That to me is Beatles nirvana.

I've read that a 50th Anniversary White Album package is coming next year!

...John Lennon had one of the most Iconic voices, in Rock! IMHO...

I couldn't agree more. What a range...soft ballad "A Day in the life" or "Across the Universe" to "Twist and Shout" to just a great harmony singer. He may not have liked his voice, but there are countless of us who would disagree.

BTW, any Beatles fan who doesn't have this book is really missing out - especially if you are a gear nut AND a Beatles fan.

beatles-gear-3b1cdafc%20copy.jpg

I have had the original for years but just got the newer ultimate edition yesterday. great photos and really covers everything in minute detail even equipment they were given and barely used.

1497224893[/url]' post='1861591']

I couldn't agree more. What a range...soft ballad "A Day in the life" or "Across the Universe" to "Twist and Shout" to just a great harmony singer. He may not have liked his voice, but there are countless of us who would disagree.

Totally agree. I always thought he had a great voice. But I can understand how he must have felt, I don't like my singing voice and I was in Boys Glee, Madrigal, Choir and Barber Shop in High School.

I have had the original for years but just got the newer ultimate edition yesterday. great photos and really covers everything in minute detail even equipment they were given and barely used.

Yeah, if it was used on a song, it's in there. Very comprehensive it seems.

BTW, any Beatles fan who doesn't have this book is really missing out - especially if you are a gear nut AND a Beatles fan.

beatles-gear-3b1cdafc%20copy.jpg

I have the 1st printing edition with the different cover imagery...

But, if there's more added to the newest edition, I may need to look into it.

I lost my virginity to "Norwgian Wood", so "Rubber Soul" will always be my go to Beatles album.

At one end there was "I want to hold your hand" and "Love me do": the last album before the storm was Sgt. Pepper. Thank you Beatles.

I lost my virjinity to "Norwgian Wood", so "Rubber Soul" will always be my go to Beatles album.

At one end there was "I want to hold your hand" and "Love me do": the last album before the storm was Sgt. Pepper. Thank you Beatles.

That's a pretty short song [scared][flapper]

Rubber Soul is probably my favorite Beatles album as a whole. To me, every part of every track on that album is perfect

That's a pretty short song [scared][flapper]

Rubber Soul is probably my favorite Beatles album as a whole. To me, every part of every track on that album is perfect

The U.K. version or the North American version?

Personally, the British version is my favorite album of all time (I even love "What Goes On"). I do love the Capitol version as well, though. "I've Just Seen a Face" and "It's Only Love" work great on there as opposed to buried on side 2 of the British "Help!".

The U.K. version or the North American version?

Personally, the British version is my favorite album of all time (I even love "What Goes On"). I do love the Capitol version as well, though. "I've Just Seen a Face" and "It's Only Love" work great on there as opposed to buried on side 2 of the British "Help!".

Wow gonna show a little ignorance here.. I didn't even know there were two different versions. Apparently I've had the North American version all along.

What Goes On is freakin great.

• 1 month later...

The difference is now you only need to sell a few hundred thousand to garner that Chart position. Back then you had to sell in the millions.

Hmmm...

From Wikipedia:

The album has also sold more than 20 million copies worldwide and is the best-selling debut album of all time for a solo artist. Some Gave All was also the best-selling album of 1992 in the US with 4.7 million copies sold

And RIAA has the two albums pretty close in sales, and the Beatles had a 25 year head start! :rolleyes:

WXxqGpHl.png

jqW7pZGl.png

In fact, the RIAA site in quite interesting. Garth Brooks has three albums that have outsold Sgt. Pepper, Shania Twain has two, even Britney Spears has outsold Sgt. Pepper.

Archived