Gibson Brands Forums

Diminishing Purely Acoustic Models

JuanCarlosVejar

Folks,

Has anyone noticed that "Pure" acoustic models are becoming rare in the montana lineup? Everything now comes with a pickup and if I weren't left handed (I work mostly by special order) this would bother me because I like my guitars with no electronics ...Is anyone else "bothered" by this?

JC

Has anyone noticed that "Pure" acoustic models are becoming rare in the montana lineup? Everything now comes with a pickup and if I weren't left handed (I work mostly by special order) this would bother me because I like my guitars with no electronics ...Is anyone else "bothered" by this?

I don't know much about the montana lineup, but electrification seems to be a general trend, certainly visible in the newer cutaway masterbilts, for example. The various new electronics available apparently make it cost effective to offer systems that have minimal effect on the acoustic sound if you don't want to plug in....

But then, I like running my acoustics through an amp. I've been thinking about putting some pickup system in my RAVS, which is remarkably tonal....

Riding the trend like a surfboard has been an approach of the Gibson people for a very long time - sometimes to good advantage/sometimes not, depending on your point of view. Given the option, I'd prefer pure acoustic at purchase. Add electronics to your requirements aftermarket if you need 'em. Not everyone needs 'em, but there's a "cool factor" that applies here - in terms of marketing - and people looking to appear "cool" spend money. No disrespect intended to anyone who gigs currently, as you're the folks who have the honest need to plug in.

I absolutely agree. I resent paying for factory electronics that I may or may not ever use. Also, I prefer non-traditional pickups (I.e. K & K) over stock factory setups. The idea of "stage-ready appeals to many folks, apparently...just not my thing.

Rb

I have definitely noticed that non-pick up models are becoming a rarity. If given a choice, I would buy guitars without electronics every time. Four of the last eight guitars I've purchased came with pickups that I didn't particularly want or need.

I would prefer no pickup fitted and then add my own as I don't like undersaddle pickups . And the Gibson ones aren't exactly fantastic are they

Factory fitted pickups in line with the quality of the instrument would be good . Baggs anthems or amulets or even a good old k&k ,

Your jaguar car won't come with cheap tyres to keep the price down

Makes plenty of sense that a guitar comes stage ready but no sense that it's a half arsed pickup fitted to what they reckon are the best guitars in the world

The marketing “brilliance" of Gibson was the cause for some amusement back when this was being discussed here on the forum with respect to the True Vintage series; how to have us pay more for less- less finish (the thin, micro-sanded VOS finish), yellowed binding, aged-looking tuners, no electronics, etc.

Just like the player who digs a bit deeper into his pockets to get an old J-45 rather than buying a new one made to sound older, the person who seeks a guitar with no UST between the saddle and the bridge or nothing glued to the bridge plate, wants to know that they’re getting as much pure, authentic acoustic tone as the guitar can give them.

I'm not sure why Gibson insist on this either. I think it's convenient if casual players want a grab-and-go electro setup for occasional gigs, but I don't know many pro pickers who use stock pickups, most people have preferences and change stuff immediately.

Having said that, Billy Bragg, who I'm tour manager and guitar tech for at the moment, uses a 2013 black nut J45 Standard which is absolutely bone stock, Baggs Element, 13-56 80/20s tuned down a full step.

We run it into a PADI which smooths out the pickup a lot and it suits Billy really well. Sounds great when he plays it but doesn't suit my style at all.

1496994717[/url]' post='1860931']

I'm not sure why Gibson insist on this either. I think it's convenient if casual players want a grab-and-go electro setup for occasional gigs, but I don't know many pro pickers who use stock pickups, most people have preferences and change stuff immediately.

Having said that, Billy Bragg, who I'm tour manager and guitar tech for at the moment, uses a 2013 black nut J45 Standard which is absolutely bone stock, Baggs Element, 13-56 80/20s tuned down a full step.

We run it into a PADI which smooths out the pickup a lot and it suits Billy really well. Sounds great when he plays it but doesn't suit my style at all.

JC... I wish electronics were always optional. I don't think I have ever liked "what came with" my guitars, if anything did. I notice your same trend. I ordered a guitar from Martin three months ago which has no electronics. If I want to invade it, I will. Or not.

Jinder, I love Billy Bragg. What's he like in person? I've seen his political commercials even here in the states. Very cool that this is one of the hats you wear. I am always amazed at the diversity of life and trade on this forum.

JC... I wish electronics were always optional. I don't think I have ever liked "what came with" my guitars, if anything did. I notice your same trend. I ordered a guitar from Martin three months ago which has no electronics. If I want to invade it, I will. Or not.

Jinder, I love Billy Bragg. What's he like in person? I've seen his political commercials even here in the states. Very cool that this is one of the hats you wear. I am always amazed at the diversity of life and trade on this forum.

Billy's a terrific guy! I can't speak highly enough of him. I'm in my fourth year of TM/Tech work with him and he's a really good guy to work for. He's a great performer and a fascinating person-he's quite the musicologist which makes for very interesting chat on the bus, I've learned a lot from him over the last few years. It's a relatively straightforward TM job with BB as he's very experienced and doesn't need any "babysitting" like some of the younger acts I've worked with. No need for guns and bail money!!

I just watched his Tiny Desk concert, and I'm assuming that's the J-45 standard he's playing there. It's direct-mic'd for that concert, but it is a recording set-up rather than a live performance one, which is a real difference.

I know nothing about the Tiny Desk room, but it doesn't seem to hold much more than a dozen people or so, since it appears to be only an "incidental" performance venue.

What's that strap he is using? It attaches to the headstock behind the nut, and looks to have a quick-release clip. Looks pretty practical.

And by the way, I really like his stuff.

I just watched his Tiny Desk concert, and I'm assuming that's the J-45 standard he's playing there. It's direct-mic'd for that concert, but it is a recording set-up rather than a live performance one, which is a real difference.

I know nothing about the Tiny Desk room, but it doesn't seem to hold much more than a dozen people or so, since it appears to be only an "incidental" performance venue.

What's that strap he is using? It attaches to the headstock behind the nut, and looks to have a quick-release clip. Looks pretty practical.

And by the way, I really like his stuff.

http://www.hotroxuk.com/planet-waves-acoustic-quick-release-system.html?utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=organic&gclid=CMLu-PPhsNQCFYYcGwodmbgFHw

One of these nick ?

No, Im not bothered by it.

But you can blame bloody Taylor for this practice.

Really??

One of my other guitars is a Taylor GS Series Jumbo I bought in 2005.

Guess what it came with........... no pickup...

No, Im not bothered by it.

But you can blame bloody Taylor for this practice.

You are correct on this. Years ago I went to a number of Taylor workshops (they all incredibly bashed Gibson, except Doyle Dykes who at one basically flat out said despite pressure from Taylor, he refused to bash Gibson guitars, saying despite working for Taylor at the time, that he really liked Gibsons)...and I heard Taylor reps repeatedly tell the audiences that from that point on they were not going to focus on anything any longer except how to internally mic an acoustic guitar because how manufacturers internally mic acoustic guitars was the future of acoustic guitars. And, that was when all other guitar manufacturers only focused on how sole acoustic guitars sounded, not mic'ing them. Everyone else began playing catch up years later. Problem is, of course, is Taylors now sound quite good through their internal mic'ing, but still sound sterile and not descript acoustically. (Disclaimer. No offense to Taylor owners...but, this is a Gibson forum.)

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Billy's a terrific guy! I can't speak highly enough of him. I'm in my fourth year of TM/Tech work with him and he's a really good guy to work for. He's a great performer and a fascinating person-he's quite the musicologist which makes for very interesting chat on the bus, I've learned a lot from him over the last few years. It's a relatively straightforward TM job with BB as he's very experienced and doesn't need any "babysitting" like some of the younger acts I've worked with. No need for guns and bail money!!

Love this

Since I never plug in I really do not have any issues with the electronics in a acoustic guitar. The cost is really nothing to get me too worked up about when you are spending a couple thousand one to two hundred dollars is a non factor. I will say that when there is an option I will choose no electronics but I do not let it make my decision of to buy or not.

I don't like the trend, but it really makes no difference as I don't see a new Gibson anywhere in my future. I had the luthier remove the pickup from my 2008 J-50 when he did an initial setup (I still have all the parts in a plastic bag). I also have a DeArmond vintage pickup that I really like, however it seems more at home in my 1965 J-50. :)

Not everyone needs 'em, but there's a "cool factor" that applies here - in terms of marketing - and people looking to appear "cool" spend money.

People that spend money are people that generally have money. People that spend money to look "cool" are generally people that don't have money.

Archived