Gibson Brands Forums

England

Tman

Just got back from work related trip to Oxford then London. Brilliant. I did meet up with Farnsbarns and he told me he isn't posting anymore. Too bad. I got to play a gig at Cherwell Boathouse in Oxford after punting. It was really fun. I played a 335.

Tower bridge

IMG_0943_zpstdaoeo8h.jpg

Souvenirs:

IMG_0886_zpsd3ve1tjs.jpg

Gig at Cherwell Boathouse. Right after punting on the Thames.

IMG-20180608-WA0002_zpsnrpywifa.jpg

One thing I noticed that was different from other times I had been. British hand dryers, thanks to Dyson, are unrivaled in the rest of the world.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Delighted that you had such a successful trip, Two Ells.

Shame Farns isn't here anymore but I understand the background so am not too surprised.

I'm also envious that you manage to land a gig having been in the country a mere twelve seconds....

msp_thumbup.gif

And yes; the Dyson Airblade driers are so very good in so many respects.

Pip.

Damn good job you got there

If I am able to include some guitar time, it really does turn out to be fun!

Delighted that you had such a successful trip, Two Ells.

Shame Farns isn't here anymore but I understand the background so am not too surprised.

I'm also envious that you manage to land a gig having been in the country a mere twelve seconds....

msp_thumbup.gif

And yes; the Dyson Airblade driers are so very good in so many respects.

Pip.

Thanks 1"L". It was a great time albeit hurried. One of these days we will get a lounge jam together in London. Would be a shame not to do so! For the record I was there 14 seconds. Amazing what 2 extra seconds can result in. [biggrin]

ya lucky bastid...

and I did notice Farns wasn't dropping by much,, pity, I don't know the details, but I think I have a pretty good idea why.

We talked about it. He is ok with it. Incredibly bright guy he is.

Glad you had a good time and hope we do too, next month.

If the weather in a month is anything like it was last week, you'll absolutely love it. Also the food was outstanding! I know that goes against the prevailing opinion about British food but it truly was.

Cool.. Im glad you liked it and got to meet up with at least one of us, ive met a few guys off here before and they are all top blokes... You also got real lucky with the weather.. Its not always like that I can assure you :) But I do love these late summer nights when it gets dark at like 9/10 at night.. So nice.. And it keeps going for another week or so before the summer solstice when it not fully dark till about 10:30/11.. Oxford is a real pretty place too.

And yes its a shame Farns and some others aren't around so much.. They are missed on here.

I'm jealous Tman! Sounds like a great trip, shame you didn't have more time!

I've always heard bad things about British food so I'm really curious about the good food that you had. Tell me more!

Time to correct some major ignorance and dis-information.....dry.gif

British food is great.....[thumbup]

Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudding

Fish 'n Chips

Shepherd's Pie

Ploughman's Lunch

Boiled Beef 'n Carrots

Cockles Whelks Mussels

Cornish Pasty

Bacon and Eggs

Eccles Cakes

And.....to cap it all....what with Great Britain being the premier multi-cultural place on earth.....

All the cuisines of the world are represented at top level in most cities.....[biggrin]

V

:-({|=

And.....to cap it all....what with Great Britain being the premier multi-cultural place on earth.....

All the cuisines of the world are represented at top level in most cities.....[biggrin]

V

I believe Versatile is talking about culinary Versatility (couldn't resist). And yes the food was on average outstanding including traditional English food and international cuisine. My wife and I went on an Indian food kick whilst (notice correct usage) in London. In Oxford more traditional and new gourmet takes on traditional. We went into the Cotswold countryside where Keith Moon once owned a hotel and the Who recorded music there (and Keith also drove a car into a hotel swimming pool).

We found a gastronomical pub in Asthal (small country town) on Yelp that was outstanding. Here is the smoked Mackerel pate. They served 60 kinds of gin. I tried one called Monkey 47. And a few others with "skinny" tonic. Awesome.

Mackeral%20pate_zps2zvlmj47.jpg

A few other things. J.R.R. Tolkien (Hobit, Lord of the Rings) used to frequent this pub in Oxford.

IMG_0839_zpstomxrhyj.jpg

I talked to Farns in London about sightseeing in Oxford and told him that I went to Christchurch at Oxford University and he said, "Oh for the medical studies history?" I said "No, for the Harry Potter dining room.":

IMG_0600_zpsehocwhpi.jpg

Finally in London on the South bank of the Thames river, the recreation of Shakespeares Globe Theatre 750 feet from it original location. It was originally burned by pirates in the 17th century.

IMG_0926_zpschxzu81p.jpg

I believe Versatile is talking about culinary Versatility (couldn't resist). And yes the food was on average outstanding including traditional English food and international cuisine. My wife and I went on an Indian food kick whilst (notice correct usage) in London. In Oxford more traditional and new gourmet takes on traditional. We went into the Cotswold countryside where Keith Moon once owned a hotel and the Who recorded music there (and Keith also drove a car into a hotel swimming pool).

We found a gastronomical pub in Asthal (small country town) on Yelp that was outstanding. Here is the smoked Mackerel pate. They served 60 kinds of gin. I tried one called Monkey 47. And a few others with "skinny" tonic. Awesome.

Mackeral%20pate_zps2zvlmj47.jpg

A few other things. J.R.R. Tolkien (Hobit, Lord of the Rings) used to frequent this pub in Oxford.

IMG_0839_zpstomxrhyj.jpg

I talked to Farns in London about sightseeing in Oxford and told him that I went to Christchurch at Oxford University and he said, "Oh for the medical studies history?" I said "No, for the Harry Potter dining room.":

IMG_0600_zpsehocwhpi.jpg

Finally in London on the South bank of the Thames river, the recreation of Shakespeares Globe Theatre 750 feet from it original location. It was originally burned by pirates in the 17th century.

IMG_0926_zpschxzu81p.jpg

Thanks Tman. I think I would go on an Indian food kick too! I love spicy food which seems to be the main thing I don’t see represented in much in traditional British cuisine

Versatile hope I didn’t offend you, my question was not indicative of my own opinion. I have never been to the UK and as such have not formed an opinion. Likewise your post doesn’t clear up any ignorance for me unfortunately since I can’t taste your words, but I would love to have an opportunity to correct my ignorance some day [wink]

Just joshing folks...…[biggrin]

That Globe Theatre is something else.....also Shakespeare's birthplace and heritage centre in and around Stratford upon Avon are de rigueur for visitors to the UK

Curry was invented by British soldiers when India was part of the British Empire.....to mask the taste of rotten meat...…:blink:

Forgot to mention Haggis.....

I enjoy Cajun cuisine and American style thin crust pizza.....

V

Just joshing folks...…[biggrin]

That Globe Theatre is something else.....also Shakespeare's birthplace and heritage centre in and around Stratford upon Avon are de rigueur for visitors to the UK

Curry was invented by British soldiers when India was part of the British Empire.....to mask the taste of rotten meat...…:blink:

Forgot to mention Haggis.....

I enjoy Cajun cuisine and American style thin crust pizza.....

V

You UK'ers can keep your Haggis. I'll eat a Hot Dog any day of the week vice any cut up organ meat cooked or boiled inside a stomach. WTF.

You UK'ers can keep your Haggis. I'll eat a Hot Dog any day of the week vice any cut up organ meat cooked or boiled inside a stomach. WTF.

Heresy.

The stuff inside a decent haggis is 100x higher quality in every way imaginable than the utter crap you will find in 99.9999% (recurring) of the world's hot dogs.

With all due respect, LPTPII, you clearly don't really understand what a haggis is nor, obviously, how they taste.

Do you eat liver? Do you eat kidney? Do you eat pulses such as barley and oats? Do you like spices? Herbs? Pepper and Salt Seasoning? If so then you will LOVE haggis.

If you ever make it over here then please get in touch and I promise to serve you a haggis dinner which would absolutely transform your opinion and make a convert out of you.

msp_smile.gif

Pip.

Heresy.

The stuff inside a decent haggis is 100x higher quality in every way imaginable than the utter crap you will find in 99.9999% (recurring) of the world's hot dogs.

With all due respect, LPTPII, you clearly don't really understand what a haggis is nor, obviously, how they taste.

Do you eat liver? Do you eat kidney? Do you eat pulses such as barley and oats? Do you like spices? Herbs? Pepper and Salt Seasoning? If so then you will LOVE haggis.

If you ever make it over here then please get in touch and I promise to serve you a haggis dinner which would absolutely transform your opinion and make a convert out of you.

msp_smile.gif

Pip.

I'll have his, please!

:)

I’d love to try haggis, but isn’t that Scottish? Hopefully that’s not a completely idiotic question [biggrin]

Versatile I love cajun and thin pizza too. Good choices. The best cajun food I’ve ever had, by a large margin, was at a place in Seattle. The owner originally had a restaurant in New Orleans which was destroyed in a flood, then he rebuilt and it was destroyed again in Hurricane Katrina so he moved to Seattle (ironically the wettest place I can think of). That place was incredible, it’s gonna kill me trying to think of the name

I’d love to try haggis, but isn’t that Scottish? Hopefully that’s not a completely idiotic question [biggrin]

Versatile I love cajun and thin pizza too. Good choices. The best cajun food I’ve ever had, by a large margin, was at a place in Seattle. The owner originally had a restaurant in New Orleans which was destroyed in a flood, then he rebuilt and it was destroyed again in Hurricane Katrina so he moved to Seattle (ironically the wettest place I can think of). That place was incredible, it’s gonna kill me trying to think of the name

Yes its as Scottish thing.. As are deep fried mars bars and Irn Bru :o

Yes its as Scottish thing.. As are deep fried mars bars and Irn Bru :o

Deep fried mars bars sounds about as American as anything I’ve heard (shamefully)

Rabs I’m sorry to tell you man but they’ve been selling deep fried sticks of butter and all kinds of other weird disgusting **** for years over here.

I feel like some people just delight in eating something that they know is bad for them, for no reason other than the fact that it’s bad. It’s like a forbidden fruit kinda thing, but when it happens, you know it’s time to apply at Walmart

Archived