Gibson Brands Forums

Selling guitars rant.

LarryUK

I've put a couple of guitar up for sale as I'm buying more. I had someone come yesterday to look at one and I couldn't get rid of him. The thing that bugged me most is, he hadn't even brought any money to buy it (his own admission). He said he liked to try them and sleep on it. He was here an hour! Perhaps he just wanted company.

I hear ya...

I had a similar experience selling a few yeas ago when I was some camera gear. The guy had the money and was planning to buy the lenses, the problem here is he just couldn't decide on one lens. a 20mm f/2.8 in mint condition, where I was looking to recoup a fraction of what the original cost was. He finally bought it and left. he was here for at least an hour. I was starting to get more then mildly annoyed.

So far, what I've done is head on down to GC and they buy them from me. You take a hit, but you're gonna do that no matter what. But it's an instant sale and nobody invades my home. I did recently sell my Bonamassa LP on consignment at Wildwood. It sold in less than a week for full asking price. Yep, I paid a commission but it was easy and also with no home invasion.

So far, what I've done is head on down to GC and they buy them from me. You take a hit, but you're gonna do that no matter what. But it's an instant sale and nobody invades my home. I did recently sell my Bonamassa LP on consignment at Wildwood. It sold in less than a week for full asking price. Yep, I paid a commission but it was easy and also with no home invasion.

I could not agree more.

GC doesn't pay much, so I opt to put my outgoing gear on consignment at a local guitar store. Seems like the consignment fee is well worth not having to deal with tire kickers and weirdos.

i don't have the problem of people staying too long when i sell a guitar. i just let my dogs have at them. they insist on being loved and having all the attention from anyone who they aren't familiar with. if i don't stop them, they won't leave them alone for even a second. most people find it annoying and leave. those that don't, always always leave when i light a cigarette. if that doesn't do it, i scratch my butt and then smell my fingers

[biggrin]

Why not sell them on Reverb or GBase?

It's too risky to have strangers come to your house anymore.

Also why waste time with Flakes?

Put them out there where a million people can see them. If they're priced right usually someone will buy them.

Lars

I wouldn't give guitars away to a dealer. I'd rather give them away to a kid that's learning. Also. Who's gone to look at guitars, amps, pedals etc that are filthy? Even my son was selling a phone that looked like he'd eaten his dinner off it.

i don't have the problem of people staying too long when i sell a guitar. i just let my dogs have at them. they insist on being loved and having all the attention from anyone who they aren't familiar with. if i don't stop them, they won't leave them alone for even a second. most people find it annoying and leave. those that don't, always always leave when i light a cigarette. if that doesn't do it, i scratch my butt and then smell my fingers

[biggrin]

[biggrin]

You got me at #3😂😂😂

Dogs wouldn't bother me and neither would the smoke😂😂😂

I wouldn't give guitars away to a dealer. I'd rather give them away to a kid that's learning. Also. Who's gone to look at guitars, amps, pedals etc that are filthy? Even my son was selling a phone that looked like he'd eaten his dinner off it.

A decent dealer gives about 60% of what they are going to sell it for. If you aren't getting that from your dealer you need to find another one or you are doing it all wrong.

rct

I trade or give them away. Selling stuff blows, and nobody makes money on guitars.

rct

I hate selling guitars, other gear seems easier to move, people are less picky about it.

I did sell my 50th SG so that’s a great relief. The guitar resides now in Uruguay.

I was selling a guitar on Gumtree uk a while back. A had a couple of bites, but this one fellow asked for more pictures. I said 'but Ive posted 10 pictures from all angles and shown every blemish'. 'Yeah', he said, 'but I want to know what the action looks like'. I did as he asked and never heard back from him.

I also had someone reply 'withdraw the advert now. I will definitely buy it'. That one turned out to be some sort of scam.

eBay fees are the same as Reverb for guitars.

To me eBay is still the best place to sell a guitar other than very desirable models that can be sold locally.

In reality a Lot of people post guitars on both eBay and reverb at the same time.

If there isn’t good inventory it may be because it’s summer.

[biggrin]

Never trust anyone who find dogs annoying, is my rule.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm, I've never lost money selling gear.. Most reverb sales are priced higher to factor in all the fees ,just like ebay, so I mainly sell lower priced gear there.Most buyers can see who I am and take the time to go to my website and buy direct. I have also on rare occasion when I allowed a private buyer to "try" a particular guitar out spend way to much time hanging out and not make a purchase. I also never show a client more than 1 guitar as to not hinder their decision making process.

Selling nice gear is truly difficult at best. The easiest way is to rent a table at a local guitar show and sell your gear there. If I'm interested in a guitar or amp that I see on Craigslist, I will contact the seller first to determine if the price is flexable before I travel to see it. Most gear on Craigslist is way over priced so If the seller is not interested in selling at a reasonable price, I won't waste my time or his to go look at it.

Archived