Gibson Brands Forums

Rusty new pack of strings...What the heck?

bigtim

How many of you have purchased a new set of strings and then open them to see that they are all boogered up with rust? I mean a little spot here and there is okay but these were so bad I just threw them away. Brand new Dunlop Rev, WIlly's too. I guess that happens when you buy locally sometimes. I understand if they have been sitting around the house for a a year or so but heck I just came across an old set of Dean Markley Magnums I know were at least 10 years old in the old paper type packages and they were perfect. But this new set I purchased recently makes me want to never buy Dunlop strings again. I am going to get over it but it did put a bad taste in my mouth. So have any of you noticed this lately?

It has happened to me occasionally. It's really worth alerting the seller to see if they'll make it right.

I only use Dunlop 80/20's and Thomastik-Infeld Spectrums, depending on the guitar. Love 'em both.

Well I thought of that after the fact. I also canned the receipt too. But I tell you what, next time it happens I am going to return them for a swap out.

You said you threw them away, I would have taken them back to the shop you got them from.

...if they aren't perfect when i open them, they're going back

I'm in the same camp. I've read where strings should last decades if not longer when packaged properly. I also buy replacement strings from my online sources (usually Sweetwater, cuz, well, the candy, you know LOL) so receipts aren't an issue - they have a record of what your bought and when. While strings in themselves aren't an expensive item per se, when you have multiple guitars, the cost can add up. My two cents, anyway.

I agree, take them back, The price isn't as important as the message. The wife bought a new package of pepperoni to make pizza for dinner, when she opened the package it was all thick mold inside. She didn't want to return it and cook something else so I returned it and they were embarrassed as other customers were looking on. That sends a message for quality control.

Living in coastal Florida, corrosion is always a problem. I love the tropical salty air, but most metal things do not.

Years ago, before I started playing guitar on the gig I bought 2 packs of DR strings at my local Mom and Pop music store. The first one was OK. I changed them after a month, opened the second pack, and they had rust spots everywhere the strings crossed each other. It was too late to take them back.

So I went back to D'Addarios. D'Addario strings come in a recyclable (#4) plastic envelope that keeps them fresh until I open them. All 6 strings come in the same pack, so there is only one little plastic envelope to recycle and the cardboard case around it. I buy them by the 10 pack, and never-ever get one rusty when opening.

I haven't tried any other brand since.

Are there any other brands that come in a sealed plastic envelope?

Notes

Lots of great advice and stories here. I am in the boat that if I buy something that I spend my hard-earned dollars on, it better be what I want, or it goes back. If I have to fight to contend with, I will fight to no end for what is mine. I am a firm believe in life that what's fair is fair. I don't try to get over on anyone, and anyone trying the same on me will be in for a battle if there's resistance. I don't care it is a head of lettuce I get at the grocery store that went bad in a couple days to a Gibson guitar. I know what I expect to receive when I fork over X dollars. Waste not, want not. And sometimes if you squeak loud enough, you get a nice surprise like FZ Fan did with Dean Markley strings. If a company did that for me too, I'd be inclined to stick by their brand as well. Anyhow, best regards all!

I haven't had that issue in a long time but I do have a good customer service story. I had been using Ernie Ball strings since the mid 80's. I had only broken 2 strings in all that time. Just this year, I've broken 3 strings on different guitars. I emailed their customer service and complained and they send me two sets of Paradigm strings to try out for free.

Archived