Gibson Brands Forums

Jimmy Page Signature Amp

saturn

Has anyone heard about this? I didn't link any articles because all the pages I have seen are slow with a bunch of pop-ups and want to send notification etc. I didn't wan't to link that kind of crap for you all.

But here's some text copied from Premier Guitar:

New York, New York (January 22, 2019) -- To celebrate the 50th anniversary of Led Zeppelin 1, Jimmy Page would like to present Sundragon, an amplifier that gives guitarists the opportunity to enjoy the sounds he created to shape the future of Rock and Roll. Sundragon is a faithful recreation of the amp Jimmy used exclusively to create the groundbreaking sounds on Led Zeppelin 1 and other notable recordings such as Joe Cocker’s With a Little Help from My Friends. A limited edition run of 50 hand built amps will be made throughout 2019, all signed by Jimmy Page.Jimmy’s original amp started out life as a Supro Coronado. After falling out of the back of the band’s van during an early pre-Zeppelin tour, the amp was restored and modified in significant ways. Jimmy realized that the sonic palette of his amp had changed to something new and unique. After being shrouded in mystery for more than 50 years, Jimmy has decided to share this extraordinary amplifier with the world. Working together closely with Mitch Colby and Perry Margouleff they have recreated this legendary amp for the first time.

“I had been impressed with the forensic analysis both Mitch and Perry had put into the research of the sonic reproduction of the original Supro amp to arrive at the Sundragon”. Jimmy Page A limited edition of only 50 Sundragon amps will be hand built by Mitch Colby and signed by Jimmy Page. The amplifiers will be available throughout 2019 and a standard model will follow later in the year.

No price published yet, but I'm expecting it to be priced for rich collectors. Or for not rich people who spend foolishly. eusa_think.gif

There's supposed to be a Page Telecaster too.

"...he sold an awful lot of Les Pauls using a Tele...".

Kidblast knows the very funny Hobbit shaped man who said that. It as just as true 22 years ago as it is today.

rct

Kidblast knows the very funny Hobbit shaped man who said that. It as just as true 22 years ago as it is today.

rct

True dat.. He's still the same ol (great) guy he's always been too..

rct

Yup... I think I heard its only £23,000.. I'll take one of each :P

Sorry, just because Page used fenders at some time, a long time ago, doesn't make him a Fender guy. That would be like saying that Beck and Clapton are LP players because they've used them in the past.

The same may be said of Jimi Hendrix using a Gibson Flying V.

Anyway: Here's a recreation of the legendary Dragon Telecaster,

89UEYCym.png

For those of you who are inclined to read it, Fox News wrote an article about it too.

Sorry, just because Page used fenders at some time, a long time ago, doesn't make him a Fender guy. That would be like saying that Beck and Clapton are LP players because they've used them in the past.

Well I started it, and I didn't at all call him a Fender guy. People who make a living doing this aren't Fender or Gibson guys, they're guitar guys and use what they want when they want.

rct

As far as Gibson players using other brands, I read an article recently where Ace Frehley from KISS said he would often record his guitar parts with a Telecaster and a Les Paul, just for a fuller unique sound on the early KISS albums. I'm primarily a Gibson guy but I played a Strat from time to time when I owned one and I just bought another that should be arriving Saturday. There's a few songs our band does that would sound better with a Strat, particularly since our other guitarist also plays Les Pauls and has the same amp I do. Whatever gets the job done and sounds good is ok by me. Tools of the trade as far as I'm concerned.

Well I started it, and I didn't at all call him a Fender guy. People who make a living doing this aren't Fender or Gibson guys, they're guitar guys and use what they want when they want.

rct

Of course, they play what they want.

I didn't mean to imply that Page was some sort of "corporate" guy. I just meant a guy the favors a certain guitar.

I think most people that bought LP's because of Page bought them because of Page swaggering around on stage with one, not because of anything to do with a Tele.

Yup... I think I heard its only £23,000.. I'll take one of each :P

There's $1400 and $2500 versions too. 7.25 radius, so I might get the cheap one for fun, but not much gigging with that.

rct

He rocked a Strat on For Your Life, Danelectro on Kasmir. Other guitars for other sttuff. He didn't just always play a LP. He played a D-28 on a song or 15 of the acoustic ones and a Gibson J-200 which was borrowed.

Yep, he used lots of guitars. Prior to the YB's, during his session years, his main guitar was the 1960 Custom. Then when he took over for Beck in the YB's he inherited the Tele from Beck, most likely to continue the tone and vibe they had going on. Then he used the Tele for LZI. Prior to LZII he got his #1 LP from Joe Walsh which became his main guitar. I have heard that he used the Custom for Whole Lotta Love in the studio. He did use the Tele for parts of Stairway. Danelectro for IMTOD. I've read that he used his Strat for the entire Presence album. As for acoustics, he's used lots of things.

But, his main electrics were LPs. As for live performances it was almost exclusively LPs after he got the #1. For Celebration Day it was all Gibson and all LP's except for the ES-350 for IMTOD and the Double neck.

So it's fair to say that he used other guitars at times, but it's also fair to say that his main guitars were Gibson LP's.

EDIT: and when he toured with Percy in the '90's he played an Ovation double neck acoustic AND... a PRS!!!!!

In the US you can pre-order the Tele "Dragon" for $1399 from Sweetwater.

Not the ones we are talking about.. I think I heard the cheaper ones are Mexi? The expensive ones have been hand painted and signed by Jimmy.. If you could pick one of those up for $1399 they would sell millions :)

http://ledzepnews.com/2019/01/24/here-are-all-the-details-of-fenders-recreation-of-jimmy-pages-dragon-telecaster/

Not the ones we are talking about.. I think I heard the cheaper ones are Mexi? The expensive ones have been hand painted and signed by Jimmy.. If you could pick one of those up for $1399 they would sell millions :)

http://ledzepnews.com/2019/01/24/here-are-all-the-details-of-fenders-recreation-of-jimmy-pages-dragon-telecaster/

Oops my bad. But for $23,600 difference in price I think I could fly Jimmy over here and have him sign it and come out ahead. [biggrin]

So, $25000. A custom shop Fender is maybe $3 - $4 k. So Jimmy Page's signature costs around $21,000. Naw. I'd rather just buy an American Tele for $1700 or whatever they are going for these days.

As if the whole signature market was not already out of hand, now we need Jimmy Page Tele's. I know he played them, but seriously. I think Angus Young once looked at an ES-335 are they next.

The dragon one I can almost understand.. He actually painted some of it.. Having his artwork is kinda cool (well still not worth it though in my book)..

The one with the cheap arse mirrors you could pick up at a pound shop (a 99c store) and just stick on a white tele.. That's just silly.. Absolutely nothing special about it at all. I could probably make my own Jimmy Page signature ink stamp :)

Archived