Gibson Brands Forums

Upcoming NUGD

MorrisrownSal

Hey fellas.

some of you may know I have purged nearly all my guitars except a 10 year old Martin D15 and a cheap Tak. The “nice” Martins and Gibsons went bye bye. I freed up a ton of cash that came in handy , although I suppose I could have just taken from a HELOC. I did that purging from June through August.

Anyway, I am going to be getting one nice guitar, and have settled in on a used 2010 J45-TV. I know the owner, and I like the year. Thinking I’ll have it in a week or so...

I think I always will need a good Gibson...  maybe we all do.

anyways soon I’ll be technically allowed to post again here. ...

Edited by Salfromchatham
  • Like 2

Sal, anyone who appreciates Gibsons, is knowledgeable about them, seeks knowledge about them, or even us mildly curious is welcome here.  And one such as yourself who has contributed so much, especially so. 

Hope you get much enjoyment from your J-45TV.  A good choice if you're editing your collection to just one Gibson. They're just about perfect.

Hope everything is well and continues in that direction 

Red 333

If you only have one Gibson, and it's not a vintage guitar, a modern J-45 TV is as good a choice as you can make.

One thing that seems true is that J-45's are enormously sensitive to string choice. Finding the right combination can be tricky. The good thing is that the J-45 can sound almost anyway you want it to sound, depending on string and pick selection.

It's as versatile a guitar as you can find. But you know that from the "wandering" J-50 you had.

Thanks again gents. Nick I remember how different my J50 sounded with Retros versus Lifespans vs Masterbilt vs Elixir...  You said a mouthful. And of course add in picks - plastic black Gibsons, casein, tortex.... A veritable matrix of tone.

LWIxB4Ol.jpg

fY1iXKkl.jpg

Looking forward to the distraction.

FVLLQ29l.jpg

Edited by Salfromchatham
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Salfromchatham said:

FVLLQ29l.jpg

First, congratulations on the upcoming.

One?

ONE?

Phew! (There was a local songster years ago had a tune that went - "One is the loneliest number...etc"). 

I know we only need one and I could squeeze down to one but only with unemployment, taxes, or something looming....even at my lowest points financially over the years, eg, playing in rotten blues bands and then ha! solo - even then I had at least 3 or 4 or 5 guitars that absolutely nobody else wanted.

So that said, I couldn't really make a J45 of any type the only guitar as the bridge string spacing is a bit tight for fingerpicking...it can be done, but a bit tight. My recent Dove is tight but do-able.

BUT....I AM interested in getting perhaps a very used J45 TV.  (I want, I want, I want). They are thin on the ground to try around here, let me tell you (NONE). The only ones at hand in shops to try are a brand new J45 Vintage at $AU 7,600, a Standard at 4,400 or something and a 2002 Standard at a pawn shop for 2,800. So it is them or gulp...online.

So give it to us Sal and others - what is the best year for a TV and what are we looking out for? (The 2002 Standard at the pawn shop has the bridge pins alarmingly close to the back of the bridge and I have noticed that in a few of that year on Reverb.com...

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

Oh- New USED guitar day. . . that was close. I thought you joined the monastery ukulele group and were heading off into the weeds. Ukes are a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Congrats on the incoming TV. Comes with the case, right? ; ) (forum joke). 'Sometimes think any ol' J-45 TV'll do, or any ol' J-45 Std'll do, or . . . 

You're in a better situation than BK7- it sounds like you've already met your TV, whereas BK must just get a general idea of where their sweet spot is/was. (Hint: the first 2 or 3 years) Adi/schmadi, whatever sounds good. And/or whatever feels right.

So there's a technical limitation to when you can post again? Forum name change related? Welcome back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks BK and the rest of you fine forum folk.

62... I’m not sure what years are good... I had a 2007. It was great.  I had a 2011 SJTV Hide Glue. It was great. I know the seller of this 2010 pretty well. He is a good dude.

and heck... the new Standards discounted and with tax sets one back well over $2500. They are not dealing like they did once upon a time.

hope you are well...

Edited by Salfromchatham

Double that price here, Sal, for everything...

Guitar fund is sad after the Dove buy, but you know, we need to study up.

Previously, I have watched the wanted ads for a 55/56/57 J45 but it is too hard to import with CITES of late...unless one appears right here, right now! ☺️ Now the rot has set in about getting a used Gibson J45 with the more modern 1.725" nut etc, after my recent purchase of a 2005 Gibson Dove - you know, that fine line between broken in and broken and worn in/worn out. Dove is nearly 15 years old so that is about where I hope to find a J45... I may just get the pawn shop 2002 Standard - 17 year old sitka top was nice for fingerpicking when I bought the Dove. So fingerpicking and new Adi tops isn't on my list ever again - sold a couple of Martin adi's previously when it was obvious that bare fingerpicking was going to take aproximately 400 years to break in the Adi. even my OM Authentic with torrefied top is going to be a while, but that sounds wonderful and is STAYING.😎

So, a Standard or a TV played hard from 2000 - 2005?

P.S. I have a great mechanic if I need but he is incredibly busy, so.....

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

BK the TVs started sporadically in late 2006... and bloomed in 2007. The precursor to the J45TV would be the Historic Series J45... I think BBG has one?

im just looking forward to 10yr old wood in good condition. That wood, and the strings, and the pick choice... I’m sure I’ll find a tone that works just dandy for me. 

Yep, exactly what I was thinking, Sal.

10 YO wood. Plus. (I got a great deal on my Dove ‘cos someone wrote on it - I don’t give a twist - character!).

So I’m looking at the ‘not played oftens’ under the basement stairs, scratching my chin deciding  what could go? It is getting urgent now.😎😎😎

BluesKing777.

Have fun with the next Gibson slope ^ they are among the 'best' acoustics on the planet and you for 1 should know. 

Somewhere in future you may land a place where a real Banner is the only way forward.  As seen now and again on these pages, this happens to some players.

9 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

The 2002 Standard at the pawn shop has the bridge pins alarmingly close to the back of the bridge and I have noticed that in a few of that year on Reverb.com...

That might be a bit of an optical illusion.  I have a 2002 J-45 Rosewood, as well as belly-up Montana bridges on other instruments from 2007, 2012, 2013, and 2015.  My quickie eyeball test says they're all the same.  The one difference is that the pearl dots are set a bit lower on the 2002.

Back in the '70s, I used to worry quite a bit about that lack of glue space on belly-up bridges.  To date, I've never had a lifting issue with any Montana belly-up bridge - but I do think it's important to make sure the ball of each string is properly seated on the bridgeplate after installation (I use an automotive inspection mirror & flashlight).

All of that said, in my experience the early 2000s were very good years for Gibson slope-shoulders.  Along with the J-45 Rosewood, I also had a J-50 and two WM-45s from that era.  All of them were tonally very nice, but this particular 2002 stands out for me in the dry & woody department.    

19 minutes ago, bobouz said:

That might be a bit of an optical illusion.  I have a 2002 J-45 Rosewood, as well as belly-up Montana bridges on other instruments from 2007, 2012, 2013, and 2015.  My quickie eyeball test says they're all the same.  The one difference is that the pearl dots are set a bit lower on the 2002.

Back in the '70s, I used to worry quite a bit about that lack of glue space on belly-up bridges.  To date, I've never had a lifting issue with any Montana belly-up bridge - but I do think it's important to make sure the ball of each string is properly seated on the bridgeplate after installation (I use an automotive inspection mirror & flashlight).

All of that said, in my experience the early 2000s were very good years for Gibson slope-shoulders.  Along with the J-45 Rosewood, I also had a J-50 and two WM-45s from that era.  All of them were tonally very nice, but this particular 2002 stands out for me in the dry & woody department.    

Thanks Bobouz!

Perfect on-the -ground information!

The shop with the J45 has a weird list structure where you have to view ALL their Gibsons, so I can't link just the J45 on its own. It is possible I could be playing it at the shop before I can get their photo copied to this forum!

I have to say that after a few weeks of Dove cherry red ownership, the J looks a little bit...plain. Maybe I need a cherry J!

BluesKing777.

8 hours ago, PatriotsBiker said:

Guys, is it Rosewood that makes it so responsive to pick changes, or the J45 design?

I prefer 80/20's on my Rosewood J-45 AND my walnut J-15. 

I used Elixirs back when I used a thinner pick, but hate the muffled sound of them now that I'm using Bluechip and Wegens.

You may have a point.

I have the same model, vintage 2011. It's a great sounding guitar, and the looks well you know it's a Gibson Burst. I have D'Addorio nickel bronze 12s on it now, after seeing a post by Sal about them being similar to titaniums that had been on it. It sounds so good I'm having a hard time convincing my self to change them.

Looking forward to your thoughts when it's in your hands