Gibson Brands Forums

WTH did you do today?

Mr. Gibson

4 hours ago, uncle fester said:

Ooooooooh!

Must just be me Fester? It feels like it's been many weeks now, But I called Dietz up today and asked, "Where Is It?" They said it was ordered on June 20th on a Sunday.  So were looking at 13 business days and 16 days total.  They said it would be one week though.  Now they say that Covid is probably holding it up and it is in some wear-house.  First time I ever ordered a guitar away so I must just be anxious.  

1 hour ago, mihcmac said:

The Riviera I an unusually attractive 335 variant, I hope it reaches you soon. To post images here you use an image hosting site similar to Imgur, then paste the image URL text string into your post. I am on the Island of Hawaii, commonly referred to as "Da Big Island". 

Thanks. 

• Like 1

Same as yesterday except I snuck a 2019 Explorer into the house while the wife was occupado.

MAN OH MAN, what a guitar.  I'll post pics and a review in a few days but the Gibsons under the new ownership are really worth getting.  

Now if only they would give me some plugola money I'd be even happier.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteveFord said:

Same as yesterday except I snuck a 2019 Explorer into the house while the wife was occupado.

MAN OH MAN, what a guitar.  I'll post pics and a review in a few days but the Gibsons under the new ownership are really worth getting.  

Now if only they would give me some plugola money I'd be even happier.

Really? I would love to have a 2nd Gibson. Aren't they higher priced now than before? 

I'm buying used/open box so they're not that bad.  I'm on a low budget so hunt around a lot because I have to.

I have another 5 or 6 being schemed on but the majority will be recent models.  I'm really impressed with what I've seen,  I don't think it's hit or miss any more. 

Maybe the regime change boosted morale at the factory and it's let's show them what we can do time.

1 hour ago, SteveFord said:

I'm buying used/open box so they're not that bad.  I'm on a low budget so hunt around a lot because I have to.

I have another 5 or 6 being schemed on but the majority will be recent models.  I'm really impressed with what I've seen,  I don't think it's hit or miss any more. 

Maybe the regime change boosted morale at the factory and it's let's show them what we can do time.

Did you seriously get another guitar. This has to be a record.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 7/3/2020 at 4:24 AM, Marky Forrest said:

I bet it was refreshing. I haven't played outdoors in a long time. It's too darn hot here to play outside now but maybe when Fall comes around.

I'm about ready to put a larger reverb tank in my amp. It's the one big weak point in our amps, IMO. I have a reverb pedal so I haven't been in a hurry to make the change but, now that we're talking about playing outdoors, I think I'll do it soon. Carrying a guitar and amp is enough for me. I don't want to drag my pedalboard too.

Speaking of pedals, I really like my new Boss RC-3. It's a nice looper.

Have fun!

You might find this post interesting if you were in AZ in the early 70's...

https://forum.gibson.com/topic/158551-was-he-the-best-guitar-player-of-the-1960s/?do=findComment&comment=2052427

Went to feed my lizards during lunch break and, as usual, my male Dumeril's monitor was happily copulating with one of the females.  

I made my wife laugh when I said, "that lizard gets more *** than a toilet seat".  

She'd never heard that line before, I swiped it from Tom Waits, who knows where he heard it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Went to feed my lizards during lunch break and, as usual, my male Dumeril's monitor was happily copulating with one of the females.  

I made my wife laugh when I said, "that lizard gets more *** than a toilet seat".  

She'd never heard that line before, I swiped it from Tom Waits, who knows where he heard it.

Yeah, That's an old saying, Heard it as a teen in Iowa. 

Today, it was much cooler so I mowed front and back  and trimmed all the hedges and weeded out a 2nd flower bed.  We've been here at this house for 28 years, never measured all the hedges before. I did today out of curiosity,  190 feet long. Trimming both sides and the top takes awhile. Went in and told Deb, "You sure you don't want to add another 10 feet of hedges to make it an even 200 feet?"  Haha.  7 big long flower beds also, and 2 lots, just getting to be too much.  

Cut the lawn and rabbits had babies in the middle of the tortoise pen.  That explains the ticks in the yard, pulled one off of my foot before it could dig in.  I hate those things.

Woke up early and put an offer in on a guitar, we'll see.  If it's declined, so what, I've got a second choice that might be even better.  One way or another, I should have another "new" guitar showing up next week to give me something to look forward to.

21 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Cut the lawn and rabbits had babies in the middle of the tortoise pen.  That explains the ticks in the yard, pulled one off of my foot before it could dig in.  I hate those things.

Woke up early and put an offer in on a guitar, we'll see.  If it's declined, so what, I've got a second choice that might be even better.  One way or another, I should have another "new" guitar showing up next week to give me something to look forward to.

Never thought about rabbits and ticks?  We have some living in our hedges.  Even though I get down on my knees, and look under them, I still can't see them.  Sundance chases them but has never caught a rabbit yet.  He will take off running on their heels, trying so bad to catch them.  I will sing, Elvis Presley's Hound Dog to him. Haha, although he is a Doberman.  By the way, I love your new guitar Steve, Congratulations. 

Went to Mass,dug some new potatoes and picked raspberries,have about 2 gallons of raspberries now. Right now pumping septic tank,need to get ahold of a contractor so I can put a new field as this one is plugged with tree roots if he wants too much I'll rent a backhoe and dig a line down to the ditch and put rock in and new pipe. Not really legal,but I own all the land around me,so no one to complain. The nice thing about living here is no neighbors closer than a mile. Good fences make good neighbors.

• Like 1

It's been awhile since we watched the kids, They were full of stories making us laugh.  Grayson was shooting his nerf gun when one shot hit a red fingernail polish that was open.  It hit & splattered the kitchen wall painting it and the wood floor red.  Daddy was mad and grounded him from his nerf gun for a whole week,  He was telling him it was his 3 year old sisters fault for having it out and opened. She was upset about him blaming her so she hit him on top of his head with his metal detector. Haha, Any of that remind anyone of their childhood days?  So he was telling us today he gets his nerf gun back and he plans on annihilating her.   Then Reagan was telling a story of fishing with her dad and caught a monster fish.  She couldn't pull it in, so yelled at her dad, "Help...Either I'm going in the water or this fishing pole is going in!" 

• Like 2

We've got two of the grandkids with us at the mioment.  Our son and his family have moved-in with us until they can move into their new house.  They sold their former house in one day, which is great, BUT, they hadn't found a new house yet...lol....so they've been with us right at a month and will finally get to move to their new home next week.  But today was like all the previous days: great to have the grand-daughters in the house.  This afternoon everyone went shopping and I stayed home.  Had a couple free hours and I listened to some Bob Seger.  Hadn't listened to him for a few months and he's one of my all-time favorites.  He is so damn good with the folk/rock stuff.  One-hell-of-a songwriter too.  He draws lots of great pictures with his lyrics about growing-up and getting older.  When I read his lyrics, I tend to think he's as good a writer as any.  He's definitely in the top tier.  Anyway, it was a decent day.  Not much I can truthfully complain about.

• Like 2

On 7/14/2020 at 5:29 AM, SteveFord said:

Finally got that GOTW Explorer to break in.

Took a month of non stop playing but suddenly it gave in and feels like a guitar instead of some weird hunk of wood with wires strung on it.  

Glad to hear that you love it.  Debbie & I baby sat Grayson.  Since he was born and  his parents had to both work,  I got Grayson interested in the guitar at 1 year old. Of course all he could do was strum it, but he had a smile on his face and loved the noise.  At 2 we bought him a cheap $35.00 Ukulele. He plays that all the time and makes up his own songs and lyrics. We didn't get Reagan till she was two.  However, she has her own Pink Ukulele now also and is now 3.  I hear, they both play musical concerts for mom and dad at home. Lol.  

Edited by Retired
  • Like 1

Finally bought my first all-valve Marshall amp.  I own a bunch of the old '80s solid states that are surprisingly good, and at one point briefly owned one of the more modern non-tube heads (an MG series, I think, which was crap).  Picked up locally for $350 USD.  DSL40C with a speaker upgrade to a Celestion Creamback, and footswitch.  Yay.

109305097_10158435460253879_312248446884

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Retired said:

Nice set up, Both look great. Congrats. 

Thanks!   That's my fanciest guitar, haha.

I reckon I'll sell my biggest solid state Marshall to partially offset the cost of this new tube one. 

48788451271_6a4febe3be_c.jpg

It's a 100W mosfet 2x12.  It's both louder and heavier than is a good match for me.  In a perfect world of unlimited storage space and unlimited funds, I'd keep both amps, but you know how that goes. 😉

I clomped around being Asparagus Rex and made growling dinosaur sounds - with a smile, as it is well known that The A. Rex was the friendliest of all the dinosaurs. 

The sun's out, so I'll do some outdoorsy things today. (I do not plan on being Asparagus Rex in public, though.)