Gibson Brands Forums

WTH did you do today?

Mr. Gibson

GhostFL...   Somehow, even though  I passed by hundreds of those 22 year olds in Grand Central Station that were heading to Woodstock and sneering at me in my uniform that Sunday night,  I would not suggest they would ever have contemplated burning down a Federal Court House or a police station.  They were just out for a good time.  No harm, no foul.      

Cooked a  brisket on the barbie all day.  Came out great. But next time, I'll buy it already cooked.  I'm going to smell like smoke until Wednesday.   Framed a picture my wife embroidered with her embroidery machine. Not the one from Switzerland  I spent $5K on. The $300 one that works 100 times better.   Sadly, didn't get to play at all - even though that was on the top of my list. 

So,  yesterday afternoon I thought I'd burn off the excess junk the brisket left behind on the gas grill.  Flared up BIG time.  Closed the lid. They put vents in the back, down in the body of the grill, so that did nothing.  Smoke filling the porch overhang, so I wheeled it out onto the new stone patio.  Snatched the gas bottle out, just in case, and let it burn out.  Then, a half hour later after it cooled, I foolishly hosed it down. Ashes, grit and grease all over the stones and crushed granite.  Tried scrubbing it for an hour to no avail.   Ninety-nine in the shade.     Third day in a row I had planned to play guitar and didn't.  Today's the day!  Right after I do the semi-weekly curbside grocery pickup.  24 can case of beer- works out great.  And some other stuff.    Hope this doesn't work out to be The New Normal.  

13 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

So,  yesterday afternoon I thought I'd burn off the excess junk the brisket left behind on the gas grill.  Flared up BIG time.  Closed the lid. They put vents in the back, down in the body of the grill, so that did nothing.  Smoke filling the porch overhang, so I wheeled it out onto the new stone patio.  Snatched the gas bottle out, just in case, and let it burn out.  Then, a half hour later after it cooled, I foolishly hosed it down. Ashes, grit and grease all over the stones and crushed granite.  Tried scrubbing it for an hour to no avail.   Ninety-nine in the shade.     Third day in a row I had planned to play guitar and didn't.  Today's the day!  Right after I do the semi-weekly curbside grocery pickup.  24 can case of beer- works out great.  And some other stuff.    Hope this doesn't work out to be The New Normal.  

For all the effort brisket can be...   when done right - it is THE BOMB!  My playing time happens after I put the brisket on the smoker and the 18 or so hrs it takes to cook...  can't go too far - have to manage the temperature, awe.

Like REO Speedwagon, I was riding the storm out. It started dumping here last night at around 5 pm.  I got up to take a leak around 4 am and had power. Woke up at 7:30 am and did not. Around 8 am it came back on. By 11 am the storm is supposed to be past. Just light rain now. Got a bunch of tree limbs in the yard. 

You guys were busy while Deb & I relaxed today.  She did pick up groceries at Hy Ve but they forgot to load half of them, so when she noticed at home I went back with her to get the other half.  The guy there thought it was another customers but then looked at the name that was on it and apologized. 

Fiddledee d1cking around between home and a hotel down the street.  No power since Tuesday afternoon, may be on by Friday.  7 frikkin houses in a giant neighborhood.  7.  We are just so lucky.

rct

Finished making bales yesterday,which is a great relief because slough hay plugs up my nose and makes my eyes scratchy. Today I'm gonna move the bales outta the slough on account it might rain and you don't want them to get wet in standing water.  Saw 3 little foxes on the road last night,had to stop so I didn't run them over, foxes don't bother anything unless you have chickens,so I let them alone as they kill mice and whatnot on the farm. Now coyotes are a different story,not only do they kill calves,but also try to bait dogs in by pretending they're dogs that want to play,even mimicking a dogs barking so the coyote can lead them to the pack and kill them. So I kill everyone I see.

• Thanks 1

Chairs on the front porch are getting some rust on them,  I sanded them where the rust was and put the steel wool to them and wiped them down.  Then repainted 2 chairs.  They look brand new.  Wife's happy anyway and if she's happy, I'm happy. Haha. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Retired said:

Chairs on the front porch are getting some rust on them,  I sanded them where the rust was and put the steel wool to them and wiped them down.  Then repainted 2 chairs. 

I noticed mine are as well, but I took another course of action.  I got another drink and picked my guitar back up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, uncle fester said:

I noticed mine are as well, but I took another course of action.  I got another drink and picked my guitar back up.

Haha, Guess that works as well.  But then, she wouldn't be happy and I would get;  "WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO REDO THOSE CHAIRS?"  LOL.  I can't stand women screaming.  They can be awful loud.  Reagan is 3 and I think it's all natural built in.  

1 hour ago, SteveFord said:

Wife noticed the black Firebird.

That's new...

What, this old thing?  It was made in two thousand and 

New to you!

Well, yeah...

You got away with it for a while. 

I'm ready for some new 180 FZ's to come out. There is also supposed to be a Zappa documentary coming out. Hope its good. Watched one or two on NF or Amazon Prime that were terrible. 

Ordered the 40th Anniversary CD/DVD's of KC - In The Court Of The Crimson King, Wake Of Poseidon, Lizard, Islands, Starless And Bible Black, and Discipline, last night. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

10 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

You got away with it for a while. 

I'm ready for some new 180 FZ's to come out. There is also supposed to be a Zappa documentary coming out. Hope its good. Watched one or two on NF or Amazon Prime that were terrible. 

Ordered the 40th Anniversary CD/DVD's of KC - In The Court Of The Crimson King, Wake Of Poseidon, Lizard, Islands, Starless And Bible Black, and Discipline, last night. 

Yeah,  Lot's of  FZ fans  here ! 

4 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Yep and I know Steve is. I saw Frank 3 times.

The first time I saw Frank he was doing a photo shoot in the parking lot at El Rancho in Hollywood and had a toilet seat around his neck.

I'll stay a week & get the crabs & take a bus back home
I'm really just a phony
But forgive me 'cause I'm stoned

Edited by mihcmac

13 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

The first time I saw Frank he was doing a photo shoot in the parking lot at El Rancho in Hollywood and had a toilet seat around his neck.

I'll stay a week & get the crabs & take a bus back home
I'm really just a phony
But forgive me 'cause I'm stoned

Walked past the wig store 

Danced at The Fillmore

The 3 times I saw him he had a guitar on. Saw him in Santa Cruz, Berkeley and San Carlos.

Halloween just stopped being something to look forward to when Frank stopped coming to NYC.  

The last time I saw him was at Upsala College in NJ on his last tour.  The next night he was across the river ini NYC.

The show was held  in a big basketball arena and he kept apologizing for the acoustics as it was just one big echo chamber.  He played the guitar all through the show, maybe 2 1/2 hours of him going at a Stratocaster (with a whammy bar).  Man, that big nosed guy could play!  My girlfriend kept going, Frank, shut up, already, but I thought it was great.

Because it was a basketball arena there were no seats so you could just walk right up to the stage and hand him a US Bong (oh, wait, that's been done already, ha, ha).  

Today it was work all day, cut the lawn, feed a room full of ornery snakes and (here's the good part) I'm getting ready to buy another guitar.  This model is something I've had in the back of my mind since I was probably 17 years old.  I'm waiting for an answer from two sellers.

After that it  will be one left  to go, buy a decent small amp and then on to house repair hell.

2 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Halloween just stopped being something to look forward to when Frank stopped coming to NYC.  

The last time I saw him was at Upsala College in NJ on his last tour.  The next night he was across the river ini NYC.

The show was held  in a big basketball arena and he kept apologizing for the acoustics as it was just one big echo chamber.  He played the guitar all through the show, maybe 2 1/2 hours of him going at a Stratocaster (with a whammy bar).  Man, that big nosed guy could play!  My girlfriend kept going, Frank, shut up, already, but I thought it was great.

Because it was a basketball arena there were no seats so you could just walk right up to the stage and hand him a US Bong (oh, wait, that's been done already, ha, ha).  

Today it was work all day, cut the lawn, feed a room full of ornery snakes and (here's the good part) I'm getting ready to buy another guitar.  This model is something I've had in the back of my mind since I was probably 17 years old.  I'm waiting for an answer from two sellers.

After that it  will be one left  to go, buy a decent small amp and then on to house repair hell.

Steve there liquid filled smoking vessels. Say bong in a state that doesn't have legal weed and your out the door.  Who would ever hand Frank a bong and ask him if he wants a hit? There has to be some cinematic evidence of that. Santa Cruz was Civic Center, so a large gym. UC Berkeley's Greek Theater is an outside venue and is made for music. San Carlos was a small place in the round, but Frank's equipment truck had an accident on the way down from  Oregon and the amps buzzed like crazy all night. Frank was not happy. All 3 times were in '84. The San Carlos show was on his birthday. I met Bobby Martin in the hallway walking out after the show.

Frank played that yellow Strat every time I saw him. It had a whammy bar. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

The power is back on and that means only one thing:  the Clicquot is cold.  Well, it was cold when we drank it.  So was the vodker and tonic.  Life, weird as it has been, as fukked as this entire 2020 has been, is somewhat good again.

Got my blue Tele cleaned and set up by me.  

Oh hex, life is great.

rct

• Like 2

I went to Dietze and asked where the Riviera was. Getting ridiculous. 8 weeks now and no sign.  Third trip to the store.  A new guy I never seen before looked it up on the computer and had a depressed look.  Told me, it was never ordered.  "Well, if it was never ordered, then cancel it and order it from Sweetwater I said,  Since it's already paid for." He said they can't order from them but he would get on there Epiphone guy and put a rush on it.

More swimming (last 2 days in the sea) . As Cherry's guest this time at her  gym. Used both indoor and outdoor pools. Finished off with the jacuzzi & shower. 

Its the best way to cool down. Its just been so hot lately. My son & his fiance just got a hot tub for the garden too. 

Slept downstairs with the air con unit on last night. Put Ry Cooder on low. Went through 5 hours worth of albums. 

On 8/7/2020 at 9:49 PM, Retired said:

Haha, Guess that works as well.  But then, she wouldn't be happy and I would get;  "WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO REDO THOSE CHAIRS?"  LOL.  I can't stand women screaming.  They can be awful loud.  Reagan is 3 and I think it's all natural built in.  

With respect to refinishing the chairs...  I was out front with the wife yesterday looking at the front porch (had just sanded and stained it).  She looked at the chairs and said - wow, I think I'll get some sandpaper and paint and refinish these.     Now that's how you do it! 🙂

19 hours ago, mihcmac said:

Used both of my SR15's at my outdoor jam yesterday with my Ibanez, I had a good time..

in STEREO!  nice.

9 hours ago, Retired said:

I went to Dietze and asked where the Riviera was. Getting ridiculous. 8 weeks now and no sign.  Third trip to the store.  A new guy I never seen before looked it up on the computer and had a depressed look.  Told me, it was never ordered.  "Well, if it was never ordered, then cancel it and order it from Sweetwater I said,  Since it's already paid for." He said they can't order from them but he would get on there Epiphone guy and put a rush on it.

....aaaaaargh.    My end up with a place looking to bend over backwards for you for life if you can be good about it, but i would really like to let them know how I feel.  'luck to you.

2 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

More swimming (last 2 days in the sea) . As Cherry's guest this time at her  gym. Used both indoor and outdoor pools. Finished off with the jacuzzi & shower. 

...swimming is the bomb.  we put in an above ground pool that makes this hot and humid weather manageable.  Never wanted a pool before, but it's awesome.  But I do have to say, I do think occasionally of the LP and Hummingbird and... I could have gotten if not for the pool...  feakin' pool.