Gibson Brands Forums

WTH did you do today?

Mr. Gibson

Deb went to the hearing aid appointment with me today. I just wasn't hearing something right. Finally the gal took a inside examination of the right aid and No wonder, It was off.  It hasn't worked in a few weeks. Probably happened when I fell on the concrete in the basement and lost it. She got it working and I can hear better with it now. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Half day at work, blue Firebird V is in the case warming up before I open it, took a look on Facebook Marketplace and that Firebird VII has just had the price raised by another $100...

Why do people keep raising the prices once the product is already set at a price? Doesn't make since. 

22 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Got me.  I would have bought it if he would ship but nope.  Now he's just raising the price by one or two hundred bucks every 5 days.  

I do believe I have more than enough Firebirds as it is.  

I would get the last laugh and tell them, For an example:  $600.00 in hand is better than $700.00 that Fly Away.  Haha. 

A few years back I purchased a really nice Triumph 955 Sprint, spent a winter going over it and setting it up to my preferences and then wound up selling it to a fellow in Houston, TX.  His wife took one ride one it and said, "FINALLY!" and now won't ride anything else.

He had a life threatening illness, had a series of surgeries and is now recovered but is also getting too old to ride.  He's trying to get me to buy his bike collection (but not the one I sold him).  

I dunno, maybe.

I made a fabulous batch of corned beef and cabbage yesterday afternoon, with small red potatoes.

I dished out leftovers into refrigerator containers, and packed this for my father in law.
James Cullina is 92 years old, and was born on the boat on the way here from Ireland.
He and his wife live 15 minutes away.

I think he'll like these leftovers we're going to deliver later this morning. 

🙂

corned-beef-and-cabbage-jpg.803810

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/2/2021 at 4:20 AM, SteveFord said:

A few years back I purchased a really nice Triumph 955 Sprint, spent a winter going over it and setting it up to my preferences and then wound up selling it to a fellow in Houston, TX.  His wife took one ride one it and said, "FINALLY!" and now won't ride anything else.

He had a life threatening illness, had a series of surgeries and is now recovered but is also getting too old to ride.  He's trying to get me to buy his bike collection (but not the one I sold him).  

I dunno, maybe.

I have a friend who's dad restores Indian Bikes from basket cases to Original ShowRoom condition, He goes over them in complete detail making every nut bolt and screw exactly as original. They are  gorgeous when done and he puts them in shows.  Yeah....If you ride?  I never owned a bike, Had a bad experience on a couple as a kid. 

On 1/2/2021 at 7:07 AM, sparquelito said:

I made a fabulous batch of corned beef and cabbage yesterday afternoon, with small red potatoes.

I dished out leftovers into refrigerator containers, and packed this for my father in law.
James Cullina is 92 years old, and was born on the boat on the way here from Ireland.

🙂

That's very nice of you Sparky. Looks good to. 

On 1/2/2021 at 8:07 AM, sparquelito said:

🙂

Nice gesture.

I hope you made some Corned Beef Hash the next day.

• Like 1

Lucky.  We don't have pancake trees here in PA.  Not even a waffle bush.  Maybe the air from NJ killed them off.

Worked and spent today wishing ES-345s were less expensive.  Are they really worth 1 1/2 Les Paul Standards?  They press the bodies out on a machine.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

Lucky.  We don't have pancake trees here in PA.  Not even a waffle bush.  Maybe the air from NJ killed them off.

Worked and spent today wishing ES-345s were less expensive.  Are they really worth 1 1/2 Les Paul Standards?  They press the bodies out on a machine.

Is a 345 going to  out-class or out perform your King? If you get one you must play some Be  Bop Deluxe on it.

Man I wish there was a bacon shrub near by and a sausage cactus for my morning breakfast samiches.

I was updating our Lock Out Tag Out forms for our electrical systems at work. I love doing boring paperwork.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I think a 345 might be lighter than a Lucille but I could be wrong.  I guess it would depend on stereo/mono/varitone/neck profile.  

I've wanted a 345 since I was in my teens but those things aren't cheap so who knows.  This pandemic won't last forever and then it'll be murdersickles getting my attention once again.

17 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

I think a 345 might be lighter than a Lucille but I could be wrong.  I guess it would depend on stereo/mono/varitone/neck profile.  

I've wanted a 345 since I was in my teens but those things aren't cheap so who knows.  This pandemic won't last forever and then it'll be murdersickles getting my attention once again.

The neck as you know on a King is Maple, 345 I would guess Hog. I know and you do to the King's top, back and sides are Poplar/Maple/Poplar. Not sure about a 345, I would guess Hog. I am sure both have a maple center block. The 345 may be a hair lighter.  A 335, 345, 355, and a King are some of the best things Gibson ever made.

Everyone wants top dollar for their gear and I understand that. But if they set a price and keep raising it just let them keep it. If they want to sell it they will have to come back down to reality. No one wants to give their gear away, but we want to buy it a fair price, or Mr. Greedy can keep it. People are losing their jobs and cant afford food and you want to over price you axe by several hundreds, go eat a bag of d-icks.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

The body's the same stuff, just has F holes stamped out of it.

My 335 is a light guitar but that Lucille is a bit much.  Big neck, too.

If one pops up at a decent price and I have the dough I'll probably get one.  I really wish they had kept the VariTone on the new ones, I don't buy that part about people not wanting the Tone Suck Device was such an ICONIC feature.

8 hours ago, SteveFord said:

The body's the same stuff, just has F holes stamped out of it.

My 335 is a light guitar but that Lucille is a bit much.  Big neck, too.

If one pops up at a decent price and I have the dough I'll probably get one.  I really wish they had kept the VariTone on the new ones, I don't buy that part about people not wanting the Tone Suck Device was such an ICONIC feature.

I just looked at the specs and other than F holes, the neck on a 345 is hog. So it must be the maple neck, lack of F holes, the tone sucking Varitone, and the extra jack that increases the weight. And yes when I had my King it was a heavy beast.

I should have bought a Lucille way back when I had the chance. Deb told me for my Birthday, I could get any guitar in the store.  Dietze had a new Gibson Lucille in black hanging on the wall. I played it and then played most of the other ones they had hanging and couldn't get over a Gretsch Streamliner I played. Still have that one. 

9 hours ago, SteveFord said:

There's still time to get that Lucille.

Yep!  Actually I could if I wanted to bad enough, But I just got a new SUV recently in Dec. so I'll hold off awhile.  See how this year goes for awhile first.  I just sent a hearing aid back for a new one. I think when I fell in the basement hitting the back of my head & the right one popped out, it did something. It goes on and off a lot. 

Watched my fellow Americans misbehave drunkenly on the news today, fed some critters, worked and thought about maybe getting a big box delivered  right into my grubby mitts.

Do I chintz out and get something affordable or hold off and spring for something stupidly overpriced?  I'm thinking chintz out and wait for something to just pop up unexpectedly.

• 2 weeks later...

The sticky neck kept coming back on that Firebird VII and I could feel a little bump on it so it looks like they went a little heavy on the clear.  Tonight I rubbed some 600 grit wet and dry sandpaper together to cut it a bit, lightly wet sanded it , took some 0000 steel wool and lightly buffed the back of the neck a few times and then spent some time buffing it with Novus #2 Fine Scratch Remover.

It looks like that finally did the trick.  That bump is gone and after an hour of playing  it the back of the neck is still slippery like it's supposed to be.

• 2 weeks later...