Gibson Brands Forums

WTH did you do today?

Mr. Gibson

Normal ordinary day.....

Went to bank (masks in shops etc compulsory again now in UK - I never stopped), paid in some ££.  Swam 50 lengths, water a bit cold today.

Emailed doctor about prescription, left phone message with mechanic aobut servicing car.  Played Strat.

Then I went online and came upon this -

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/news/gloucester-news/bomb-squad-called-gloucestershire-royal-6298076?fbclid=IwAR174NRSoLg4wpcm7JDtjn9w_UIutHc-Qsz6IhUEHh85PNAiHbHC7KfXv2w

Ho ho.   Made my day!  [lol]=D>

In case you can't see it, the spoiler is; man having a clear out finds an old mortar shell and somehow he 'falls' on it and it goes where the sun don't shine......cue ambulance, bomb disposal squad etc. 

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1

On 12/5/2021 at 6:41 PM, mihcmac said:

Nordic looking long haired blonde just brought me a plate of pancakes, eggs and sausage, hmm, wonder what she's up to..

This line reminds me of the song "Barstow Blue Eyes" by Jo Jo Gunne.

If you can remember that you're at least as old as me....bet you gave her a good tip.

I went through Barstow in early 1980.  Can't remember if I spent the night there or in Needles...on my way to the Grand Canyon.

I didn't do much today (Sunday).  Playing my Strat.  Windy out.  Despite the relatively sheltered position of my house, that icy North wind gets through every single crack.  A cold December night.  Another storm due on Tuesday.

Edited by jdgm

My mother recently went in to have a medical problem fixed in the hospital. She's back home so I drove over for a visit. Talking to her, it sounds as she might have the beginnings of dementia. I'm not seeking sorrows, and she is 90. Just saying what I did today. My sister & her husband moved in with her from Chicago so at least she has someone to watch her.

18 hours ago, jdgm said:

If you can remember that you're at least as old as me....bet you gave her a good tip.

I went through Barstow in early 1980.  Can't remember if I spent the night there or in Needles...on my way to the Grand Canyon.

I didn't do much today (Sunday).  Playing my Strat.  Windy out.  Despite the relatively sheltered position of my house, that icy North wind gets through every single crack.  A cold December night.  Another storm due on Tuesday.

I do remember Jo Jo Gunne, my Ferguson connection goes back to Spirit.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jdgm said:

Dig that old Gunne tune.   Let's help those who're unfamiliar----  [wink]

Whitefang

• Like 1

Last week I was at the workshop making some tables for my sister.. One Walnut two London Plane..

cnNCibD.jpg

PNs4qU0.jpg

31Cwv96.jpg

vrOpIUs.jpg

Which was all fine..  BUT then Sunday I was texted by my old boss who said that the guy who took over my job who I spent some time with over a couple of days tested positive for COVID..  DOH!!

So today I went and got my first ever test done..  Not particularly pleasant but not as bad as some have made it out to be.

But more annoyingly I was meant to go and finish these tables tomorrow but have had to cancel now while I wait for the test results AND yesterday had to cancel going to see some friends as one is particularly vulnerable.

Fun fun fun.

Edited by Rabs
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

With all that glue you could get a job at Bozeman!

It's finally starting to feel like Christmas.  Not only did I survive a surgery but got sent home to recuperate, the UPS driver handed me a big box and I hear Santa is not giving me a lump of coal for being so good for nothing all year long.

• Like 2

Cleaned house, and I mean clean; my sis is coming to stay for Xmas tomorrow, with her dog.  

Also I bought a s/h Weber 8 speaker for my Fender Vibrochamp and it came today.  I've fitted and briefly tested it so far, works good.

• Like 1

We had both grandkids today. They are so funny. Our Doberman was so excited to see Greyson as he didn't have school today. We were outside playing when the ice cream truck came near. I could even hear music in the air and asked him, "Where is that noise coming from?" He ran to the back and looked and then ran as fast as a greyhound to the house to tell Grandma. Later after we took them home she told me she was making them pancakes when Greyson ran in the house and jumped up and down screaming "Grandma, come quick,"  and some other words she couldn't understand as he was so excited. She thought Grandpa must have gotten hurt again?  She looked outside, and there was Greyson and Reagan in the back holding up the ice cream truck. So she grabbed her purse and bought them both  an ice cream treat of their choice.  Later they told her that this was the best day of their lives with all they did here and that ice cream treat.  She was so pleased to hear that. 

• Like 2

Finished the clean-up this morning - my house hasn't been this tidy in over 2 years.

Spent some hours this afternoon checking out my new speaker which is one of these, 4 ohm -

https://www.tedweber.com/8sigf-s/

Made in 2018, the basket is different to the picture.  It's the best I've had yet in my Vibrochamp.  I still have the original speaker.  I've had a couple others - an alnico Weber which was ok, a ceramic Jensen which was better IMO but 8 ohm.  This is better than all those, clear and smooth (as opposed to harsh) with a nice balanced frequency spread and good bass.  Loud too, and only starts to break up at higher volume.  I used a humbucker guitar and pedalboard.    Weber have a great selection of speakers, the 8F150 model ($92) looks the ultimate for an 8".

My sister finally got here ok with her dog (border collie); the house isn't tidy any more!  [laugh]

Edited by jdgm

2 hours ago, jdgm said:

Finished the clean-up this morning - my house hasn't been this tidy in over 2 years.

Spent some hours this afternoon checking out my new speaker which is one of these, 4 ohm -

https://www.tedweber.com/8sigf-s/

Made in 2018, the basket is different to the picture.  It's the best I've had yet in my Vibrochamp.  I still have the original speaker.  I've had a couple others - an alnico Weber which was ok, a ceramic Jensen which was better IMO but 8 ohm.  This is better than all those, clear and smooth (as opposed to harsh) with a nice balanced frequency spread and good bass.  Loud too, and only starts to break up at higher volume.  I used a humbucker guitar and pedalboard.    Weber have a great selection of speakers, the 8F150 model ($92) looks the ultimate for an 8".

My sister finally got here ok with her dog (border collie); the house isn't tidy any more!  [laugh]

Hoping you have a great Christmas and a new year Jdgm.  Yeah, ours was clean till the kid came over and now it needs a cleanup again.  Sundance was so excited to see both kids together  that he went in his back room and hauled out 9 of his squeaky toys. The kids were playing in the front room, 'what they call the play room,' so Sundance took all his toys in there so they would play with him too, Lol. 

• Like 1

On 12/6/2021 at 12:26 PM, Rabs said:

Last week I was at the workshop making some tables for my sister.. One Walnut two London Plane..

cnNCibD.jpg

PNs4qU0.jpg

31Cwv96.jpg

vrOpIUs.jpg

Which was all fine..  BUT then Sunday I was texted by my old boss who said that the guy who took over my job who I spent some time with over a couple of days tested positive for COVID..  DOH!!

So today I went and got my first ever test done..  Not particularly pleasant but not as bad as some have made it out to be.

But more annoyingly I was meant to go and finish these tables tomorrow but have had to cancel now while I wait for the test results AND yesterday had to cancel going to see some friends as one is particularly vulnerable.

Fun fun fun.

You should be able to cut out about 8 guitar body's with that size, Lol.

15 minutes ago, Retired said:

You should be able to cut out about 8 guitar body's with that size, Lol.

Lol..  Well I would choose much more interesting wood than that.. 

I still have this one made with London Plane to finish

6Wdfkgy.jpg

mAr7wI3.jpg

Edited by Rabs
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Lol..  Well I would choose much more interesting wood than that.. 

I still have this one made with London Plane to finish

6Wdfkgy.jpg

mAr7wI3.jpg

I was following that one and then disappeared for a few months. Did yo ever get the top wood guitar finished? 

4 minutes ago, Retired said:

I was following that one and then disappeared for a few months. Did yo ever get the top wood guitar finished? 

Well what happened was silly.. I had forgotten at the time that when you change the router bit it needs that extra bit of tightening or it can slip.. And when  I did the binding channel it slipped.. So I ended up with an 8mm channel for 6mm binding.. Then when I went to fix it last, I kind of made things worse and to be honest it just put me off for a while. Such a silly beginner mistake.. 

I will finish it though. Hopefully in January some time.. The wood on that guitar is way to nice not to finish  🙂  

In fact if you look at the picture above,  just above the lower horn you can see its not right.

Edited by Rabs

4 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Well what happened was silly.. I had forgotten at the time that when you change the router bit it needs that extra bit of tightening or it can slip.. And when  I did the binding channel it slipped.. So I ended up with an 8mm channel for 6mm binding.. Then when I went to fix it last, I kind of made things worse and to be honest it just put me off for a while. Such a silly beginner mistake.. 

I will finish it though. Hopefully in January some time.. The wood on that guitar is way to nice not to finish  🙂  

In fact if you look at the picture above,  just above the lower horn you can see its not right.

Oh, for a minute, I thought you might have scraped it.  I was going to say that wood was gorgeous.  

Today(Christmas Day) I, along with other family,  was supposed to go to one of my sister in law's home for a Christmas brunch.  But just got a call from her husband that she wasn't feeling well and called it off.

So I'm gonna have to rummage around and find something for breakfast.  [wink]

Whitefang

It was 50° in my house this morning, having coffee while I warm up, clear sky mornings tend to be cold but will be hot by noon. Doing my arthritic hand exercises while holding a hot cup and it looks like a good day. My acoustic has been consistently a lot more playable since I installed a set of coated Elixir's on it, need to  wait a little while until my guitar temps normalize.

I had to clear the History Cache out on Mac this morning because I was automatically getting logged out every time I logged in to the Gibson Lounge. Working correctly now.. 🙂

Edited by mihcmac

I'm on dog duty it seems while the kids went to Michigan for Christmas. I can't bring their Australian Shepard here, as Our dog is a 114 pound Doberman Pinscher and might destroy Herbie. ( Both being males and Dobermans don't get along with other males.) So I drive back and forth taking care of both dogs.  I'll be glad when they come back Monday.