Gibson Brands Forums

WTH did you do today?

Mr. Gibson

On 12/25/2021 at 9:51 AM, Whitefang said:

Today(Christmas Day) I, along with other family,  was supposed to go to one of my sister in law's home for a Christmas brunch.  But just got a call from her husband that she wasn't feeling well and called it off.

So I'm gonna have to rummage around and find something for breakfast.  [wink]

Whitefang

Disappointing for all of you. Bet your hosts spent a lot of time getting ready for the day.  Our family has found every time someone has the sniffles or a headache the red flags go up.  We're turning into a bunch of hypochondriacs.   Made worse here in Texas where Cedar Season is in full swing.  The pollen can get so bad in The Hill Country - on a Windy Day - you can see plumes of dust from miles away that look like smoke - but are pollen !  If you shake a branch on a juniper - it looks like you're dumping a full vacuum bag.   Many have allergy symptoms -  and get evil looks when out in public. 

Our 3 dogs (two German Shepherds and a terrier mix) were locked in the back bedroom Christmas day because one of our granddaughters (5y/o) is very afraid of dogs.  The dogs, on the other hand, would have spent the entire day going from one person to the next (9 of us) to be petted.  If you drop a morsel of food on the floor, they know to leave it.  But when you bend down to pick it up, they will lick your face, ear or neck to the point they train you to not do it again !    Of course, if a stranger comes to the door, they get an entirely different picture through the narrow side window.  

The only "red flags" in my sister in law's case was whatever ailed her left her without the energy to do what was needed to pull the brunch off. In fact, when I saw her Saturday she looked and sounded terrible.    And she too, has four Choc. labs that also pester for attention.  But they're nice enough they don't really upset anyone.  And her great granddaughter (2 y/o) chases them all over the house!  [wink]  And too, that little girl was one of the reasons for the cancellation.  She wasn't sure if she was contagious or not and didn't want to chance making the girl sick.

Whitefang

34 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

Gotta love FedEx.  First they deliver to the wrong street and get my signature wrong (!) and when a neighbor brings it over inside the box is what's left of an REL subwoofer

RYLLTOM.jpg

te061aY.jpg

That is a bummer. Think of all the lows on Rubber Shirt you will be missing.

22 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Gotta love FedEx.  First they deliver to the wrong street and get my signature wrong (!) and when a neighbor brings it over inside the box is what's left of an REL subwoofer

RYLLTOM.jpg

te061aY.jpg

I'm guessing FedX  dropped it off at the wrong address BECAUSE it was damaged.  

Welcome Nifuko.  Sure, those long time offs can get rough.  At the Cadillac plant I worked  they had annual "change-overs" Which would mean most of us were temporarily laid-off while the plant retooled for the new model.  They would begin in early July and last sometimes until late August or beyond.  By that time I found I had to quickly shift to having to get up to go to work at a time I spent the last two months or so getting to bed.  [wink]

Whitefang

On 12/5/2021 at 9:57 PM, Retired said:

My mother recently went in to have a medical problem fixed in the hospital. She's back home so I drove over for a visit. Talking to her, it sounds as she might have the beginnings of dementia. I'm not seeking sorrows, and she is 90. Just saying what I did today. My sister & her husband moved in with her from Chicago so at least she has someone to watch her.

Terrible disease 

7 hours ago, Mr. Gibson said:

Terrible disease 

She is starting to say, Now who is this on the phone. Joking, I tell her, "This is Avie!"  (My oldest sister.)  "Oh, it is not," she says, "Who is it?"  Then I say, "This is John."  (Our son, and we sound the same. ).  But I was over at her house and asked her a bunch of questions she should know and she didn't know any.   Yeah, It seems it runs in the family line.  I keep doing  stuff to try and keep my mind sharp. Playing guitar, learning new songs all the time.  Playing chess helps the most.  I'm certainly not back to what I once was  but I am winning most every game on my Kasparov computer. And I am studying, Secrets of the Russian Chess masters.  Once when I played in Tournament games, an opponent  could make his move and I would always pause a minute to look and think. "If I do this, he will do that, and I could see in my mind 13 moves ahead for me and him.  Also, I could do that in three different variations.  It would be nice if I could find some expert players.  I know one guy, but he refuses to play me so just my computer but it does help the mind to stay sharp. 

22 hours ago, Nifuko said:

I am resting, took holiday at work till January 5, so wake up late and in general had a lazy day. Was checking house prices in France here for summer time. Planning to cook a good steak for dinner. 

21 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Welcome Nifuko.  Sure, those long time offs can get rough.  At the Cadillac plant I worked  they had annual "change-overs" Which would mean most of us were temporarily laid-off while the plant retooled for the new model.  They would begin in early July and last sometimes until late August or beyond.  By that time I found I had to quickly shift to having to get up to go to work at a time I spent the last two months or so getting to bed.  [wink]

Whitefang

😄 This is true. Sometimes too much rest is really too much. I am active person in general but sometime emjoy my lazy time too

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Retired said:

She is starting to say, Now who is this on the phone. Joking, I tell her, "This is Avie!"  (My oldest sister.)  "Oh, it is not," she says, "Who is it?"  Then I say, "This is John."  (Our son, and we sound the same. ).  But I was over at her house and asked her a bunch of questions she should know and she didn't know any.   Yeah, It seems it runs in the family line.  I keep doing  stuff to try and keep my mind sharp. Playing guitar, learning new songs all the time.  Playing chess helps the most.  I'm certainly not back to what I once was  but I am winning most every game on my Kasparov computer. And I am studying, Secrets of the Russian Chess masters.  Once when I played in Tournament games, an opponent  could make his move and I would always pause a minute to look and think. "If I do this, he will do that, and I could see in my mind 13 moves ahead for me and him.  Also, I could do that in three different variations.  It would be nice if I could find some expert players.  I know one guy, but he refuses to play me so just my computer but it does help the mind to stay sharp. 

I feel for ya.  That's how it started with my Grandmother.  I would be talking to her and mid sentence she'd interrupt me to ask, "Who are you?"  And that was during a face-to-face conversation.   And not trying to scare you or anything....

But my Grandmother had one of the sharpest minds I knew of.  Constantly reading, and doing the local paper's "diagramless" crossword puzzle.   Even took up oil painting for a time until her azz-wipe third husband complained about the smell of the paint.  I have two of her landscapes hanging in my hallway.  My wife really loved 'em.  But despite all that brain activity she developed Senile dementia anyway.   And we're talking about a woman who was once rolled between two trolley cars like a pencil would be rolled between your hands, breaking 80% of the bones in her body and surviving,  and also surviving tuberculosis and who learned to weld tank floors during WWII.   Her doctor told my Mother(Grandma's daughter) that one saving grace was that she probably didn't realize she was suffering from anything.

Whitefang

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

I feel for ya.  That's how it started with my Grandmother.  I would be talking to her and mid sentence she'd interrupt me to ask, "Who are you?"  And that was during a face-to-face conversation.   And not trying to scare you or anything....

But my Grandmother had one of the sharpest minds I knew of.  Constantly reading, and doing the local paper's "diagramless" crossword puzzle.   Even took up oil painting for a time until her azz-wipe third husband complained about the smell of the paint.  I have two of her landscapes hanging in my hallway.  My wife really loved 'em.  But despite all that brain activity she developed Senile dementia anyway.   And we're talking about a woman who was once rolled between two trolley cars like a pencil would be rolled between your hands, breaking 80% of the bones in her body and surviving,  and also surviving tuberculosis and who learned to weld tank floors during WWII.   Her doctor told my Mother(Grandma's daughter) that one saving grace was that she probably didn't realize she was suffering from anything.

Whitefang

Wow, sounds like your Grandmother was a person I would have loved to meet. Being that; I was a welder and I have done Art from 2nd grade on. I had a scholarship in art to some college in Illinois but I turned it down.  I got in to Drag Racing at the time and thought I would make it big. Wish my mom would have kicked me in the butt and made me go to college.  That is amazing she survived that.  Eight times I have come close to death. Doctors tell me that God sure must Love me because I shouldn't be alive.  Debbie tells me that I'm like a cat with 9 lives. 

15 hours ago, Retired said:

I like playing chess but I suck,I’ve only played 3 different people, so not much experience and I’m easy to beat.

4 hours ago, Mr. Gibson said:

I like playing chess but I suck,I’ve only played 3 different people, so not much experience and I’m easy to beat.

You can learn and get better. There's only one guy I taught, (he has been dead for several years, ) That listened to every thing I told him. He improved so much that I talked him into entering a Tournament in his city. Dave took home first place trophy in the unrated class. I was so happy for him.  And heh Jim, I also taught a friend of mine that used to loose every game playing against Dave,  how to beat him.  Then my friend, Ken, started beating Dave 3 out of 5 games.  

Home and bored.  Deb has a bad cough and doesn't know if it's a cold or her draining sinus?  She kept telling me it was the sinus but now has a sore throat and can't talk much. "I Am Staying Away From her."  Haha. I don't want it. She's staying downstairs in the family room  where my puzzle is and every time I go down there, it's, cough cough coughing toward me. 

Too cold outside to do anything, the high was 27 degrees. 

After a 40+ year hiatus, I picked up a soldering iron in earnest and began my return into the world of electronics.  Back in the day (up to 1980), I did a lot of work in electronics and actually had formal training in electronics and soldering, but most everything back then was Through Hole Technology.

Fast forward to today.  With the widespread use of Surface Mount Technology (a totally new concept for me), I ordered several practice boards/kits to work on my technique.  Holy crap!  Those components are microscopic.  My eyesight is average for my age, but even with glasses with progressive lenses and a lighted magnifier that straps to my head, it’s still a real challenge to see clearly.   Anyway, I got better with more practice and hope I will become proficient in a reasonable amount of time of additional practice.  I also have some practice and actual build kits with traditional THT components that should provide a happy compromise for builds.

I did invest in a quality soldering station with adjustable temps and a plethora of quality accessories/tools which will hopefully makes things easier.  I learned a long time ago that having quality/the right tools, makes life a whole lot easier.

Edited by tx-ogre
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Retired said:

Home and bored.  Deb has a bad cough and doesn't know if it's a cold or her draining sinus?  She kept telling me it was the sinus but now has a sore throat and can't talk much. "I Am Staying Away From her."  Haha. I don't want it. She's staying downstairs in the family room  where my puzzle is and every time I go down there, it's, cough cough coughing toward me. 

Too cold outside to do anything, the high was 27 degrees. 

27 is 44 degrees warmer than here this morning. We’ll be -25 tonight. Keeps the riffraff outta here at least. A bunch of southern people came up to work in the oilfield a few years back and most headed back when winter started.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2021 at 6:42 PM, tx-ogre said:

After a 40+ year hiatus, I picked up a soldering iron in earnest and began my return into the world of electronics.  Back in the day (up to 1980), I did a lot of work in electronics and actually had formal training in electronics and soldering, but most everything back then was Through Hole Technology.

Fast forward to today.  With the widespread use of Surface Mount Technology (a totally new concept for me), I ordered several practice boards/kits to work on my technique.  Holy crap!  Those components are microscopic.  My eyesight is average for my age, but even with glasses with progressive lenses and a lighted magnifier that straps to my head, it’s still a real challenge to see clearly.   Anyway, I got better with more practice and hope I will become proficient in a reasonable amount of time of additional practice.  I also have some practice and actual build kits with traditional THT components that should provide a happy compromise for builds.

I did invest in a quality soldering station with adjustable temps and a plethora of quality accessories/tools which will hopefully makes things easier.  I learned a long time ago that having quality/the right tools, makes life a whole lot easier.

For me, it is starting to be a challenge to read these posts without my glasses Lol. 

4 hours ago, Mr. Gibson said:

27 is 44 degrees warmer than here this morning. We’ll be -25 tonight. Keeps the riffraff outta here at least. A bunch of southern people came up to work in the oilfield a few years back and most headed back when winter started.

Aren't you close to the Canadian Boarder Jim? I've been in Minessota in the cold of winter before.  They have plug in's all over there for the cars. I went there with a brand new van to a dog show and had a dead battery next morning. The van had no plug to plug in Lol.  Yes, I will always remember that year.  But I figure, people who like living in such conditions must love it or they would move? Haha. 

Today I have one-hell-of-a-cold and cancelled my weekly gig.  I felt good, but didn’t want to unintentionally spread my cold and/or scare any of the coffeehouse customers away.  They’ve been very loyal to me.  Normally, with a cold, I’d just go and play a lot of instrumentals, but in the era of Covid people get worried.  So, I’ll be there next week, starting my ninth year of playing there weekly.   Anyway, I’m a fortunate guy.

• Like 1