Gibson Brands Forums

Recommendation to replace Epi EJ200

schnebbles

Hi, I'm wanting to get my boyfriend a nice Gibson.  He has the Epi EJ200 and likes it a lot but said an actual Gibson would

be amazing.  I'm not sure about guitars, I'd like something he could plug in if he wants to.  What models are going to be similar to the

Epi? 

Thank you so much!! I kinda like the cutout style but not sure that's necessary.

• Thanks 1

hi, 

That's a nice thing to do for sure.

The cutaways are no longer made in the J200s, last time was I think 2009.

you could find one on eBay but it wont be new

The Gibson model the EJ200 is based from is the Gibson SJ200.

https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/ACCBUQ665/SJ-200-Standard-Maple/Antique-Natural

This is the lower cost "Studio" variant

https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/ACC8E5211/SJ-200-Studio-Walnut/Antique-Natural

Best bring your check book!  🙂

Edited by kidblast

Thought I would get in before you get bombarded by marriage proposals or “do you have any sisters” remarks.  Do you?  Just kidding of course.  My wife bought me a Gibson years back for a birthday and that is something you don’t forget.  That old saying that the quickest way to a guys heart is threw his stomach may not apply to guitar  players.  Gibson makes so many different styles of guitars it is hard to recommend one without knowing the person.  But many of us think that every Gibson player needs a good J45.

• Like 1

I'm hoping to stay around 4500 or less. thanks everyone, I know he'd be amazed to have one.  He has a Lucille but doesn't play it, he plays the acoustic.  I don't know how important being new is, I have looked on ebay and reverb but didn't really know what to look for.    This will at least get me started.  no sister, lol!!  

30 minutes ago, schnebbles said:

no sister, lol!!  

ahh that's a shame!  LOL!

you're in the ball park for a J200 standard. 

I can tell you from owning one, and being a 50+ years player, these are special instruments.  A legacy in your hands really.

It will be nothing like the Epiphone except it "kind of looks like it"

Lawdy, I have been playing 55+ years and other than my first guitar which was given to me by a friend of my grandfather who had it sitting in a closet, nobody has ever gifted me a guitar.  Their common defense is that for me deciding what guitars to live with is a very personal decision.  Whatever.  On the other hand, I gave my wife a 1960 J200.  To say she loves that guitar is an understatement.  It remains her only six string acoustic as she has yet to find any guitar she likes better.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kidblast said:

ahh that's a shame!  LOL!

you're in the ball park for a J200 standard. 

I can tell you from owning one, and being a 50+ years player, these are special instruments.  A legacy in your hands really.

It will be nothing like the Epiphone except it "kind of looks like it"

I will second that recommendation.

Gibson owns Epiphone. They are made in China. Several of their models are knock-offs of iconic Gibson models:  The SJ-200,  The Hummingbird and the J-45 for example.   Nothing dishonest or anything - just a marketing thing.    While they look similar, there is no comparison in actual materials and workmanship. And the tone and playability of the Gibsons are even more remarkable.  I think your boyfriend would be bowled over because of that, regardless of which model. It sounds like he already has an inkling that a Gibson would be a major step up.   The safest bet, unless you think he is extremely enamored with his EJ-200 and has had if for several years - would be the J45 as J185cat noted.   It is the most popular and most recognized of the lineup. Stick to the standard version. Mahogany sides and back, sunburst.   You can certainly find a new Gibson for a lot less than your budget -  and you certainly do not have to spend that much. But if you get a standard of either of the 3 iconic models - you absolutely cannot go wrong.   Good Luck !  

• Like 1

Hi, by coincidence I'm a Epiphone EJ-200 owner waiting on delivery of my first new Gibson SJ-200!

I just did a quick scan of those Reverb listings posted by Paul14 above and this is the stand out SJ-200 that caught my eye https://reverb.com/item/32979588-gibson-acoustic-sj-200-original-vintage-sunburst-023-5lbs-0-3oz

I like it because it 's brand new and has the Gotoh tuners and a four bar moustache bridge instead of the usual Grover tuners and two bar bridge - it has a pick-up system so can be plugged in, the Vintage Sunburst looks great and it comes in under your budget.*

* Came back and re-checked it an hour later and the original 17% off price has been dropped and it's back up to US$4649 plus US$130 for shipping - still a good price.

Edited by Brucebubs
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Brucebubs said:

Hi, by coincidence I'm a Epiphone EJ-200 owner waiting on delivery of my first new Gibson SJ-200!

I just did a quick scan of those Reverb listings posted by Paul14 above and this is the stand out SJ-200 that caught my eye https://reverb.com/item/32979588-gibson-acoustic-sj-200-original-vintage-sunburst-023-5lbs-0-3oz

I like it because it 's brand new and has the Gotoh tuners and a four bar moustache bridge instead of the usual Grover tuners and two bar bridge - it has a pick-up system so can be plugged in, the Vintage Sunburst looks great and it comes in under your budget.*

* Came back and re-checked it an hour later and the original 17% off price has been dropped and it's back up to US$4649 plus US$130 for shipping - still a good price.

That's a sharp looker, too. I like the ones with a little more orange than yellow. My Standard has more of the Yellow. Funny thing was when waiting on it, knowing the pics, that was a high anxiety type of concern. It was much better in person. This was back a couple of years ago at the end of model season when they could be had for $3895. Little yellow? No probs, 🙂

• Like 1

they  are beautiful guitars, I'm going to get the darker sunburst when I get the $.  You've all been so helpful and I'll refer to this on my search.  I'm saving the $$ but this will be most helpful as I choose.  I'll be sure to post what I buy.  I'm super excited, I can't wait!  I did see all of the Japanese sellers on ebay but I'm probably not going that route. Too bad they make them there 😞

Edited by schnebbles

It is is a really nice thing to do for someone to gift them a guitar. And giving them a Gibson is all the more special.

I'll add yet another voice to say that it would be a very safe bet to get a J-45, especially if it's a new one, as the quality is very good once again.

There is also a lot to be said for an SJ-200 given your boyfriend likes his Epiphone based on the same model. As others have said it will sound different but the shape will be familiar.

I guess it partly depends on whether you think he would prefer something a bit similar or something a bit different.

If you can get sound samples that's good. I've had sellers make me short videos and send them over. Little harm in asking. They are unlikely to object if you are seriously considering buying the guitar.

1 hour ago, schnebbles said:

they  are beautiful guitars, I'm going to get the darker sunburst when I get the $.  You've all been so helpful and I'll refer to this on my search.  I'm saving the $$ but this will be most helpful as I choose.  I'll be sure to post what I buy.  I'm super excited, I can't wait!  I did see all of the Japanese sellers on ebay but I'm probably not going that route. Too bad they make them there 😞

A fine thing you do, there. "SJ-200's " are forever. And one in excellent condition (people tend to baby them) can be found for less than the upper limits of what you were thinking you might have to spend. 

Buying from Japan is like a roll of the dice- legitimate sellers, mixed in with sellers using the photos of legitimate sellers who will buy from the original seller in an attempt to sell for more. Gibson acoustic guitars are made in Bozeman, MT:

QA3vK1c.png

Hope to see you post back with a New Super Jumbo for the Boyfriend Day

Edited by 62burst
  • Like 1

The SJ200 is a true legacy instrument. I've played an SJ200 as my main guitar for many years, have owned several and absolutely love them. 

If your partner enjoys his EJ200, an SJ200 will absolutely blow his mind. Get a good one and there is nothing that is even similar. Sure, some guitars are louder, some have more of "this" and less of "that", but the SJ200 is an incredible all-round package. Plus they carry a weight of prestige onstage that is unique...I can't imagine life without mine.

• Like 1

An alternative surprise might be to bring him to a music store and let him have several hours (bring a book. "War and Peace" !)  to try out all the possibilities.  There are Five Star Dealers (look at the Gibson website) who stock several models.  Even Guitar Center and Sam Ash  have a few on hand usually.  You can call ahead.   He may very well still come back to the SJ-200.   But it will be more of a sure thing  - given guitars are a very subjective, personal thing.     He may really like a different model - but if he still isn't sure -  going with the Super Jumbo, even if you order it online, will be a hit. 

Just offering a different perspective.   I have an SJ-200 and guarantee you can't go wrong with one. They aren't called  "The King of the Flat Tops for nothing. !  You know best.  G'Luck ! 

• Like 1

Schnebbles,

this is my first post here. This is SO nice, that I couldn’t resist to post.

I bought myself a Gibson SJ-200 standard 2 weeks ago. That’s a fantastic guitar. Also, 2 days ago I had an open air gig and the amplified sound was the best I ever had in 40 years!

And this is from a Martin guy. In case you don‘t know, Martin is the other guitar maker. 🙂

I wish you and your boyfriend all the luck you deserve and need! All the best from Vienna/Austria

Peter

PS: your parents should make a sister, better a few, now! 🙂

• Like 1

Thanks again everyone 🙂 I went to Guitar Center yesterday just to look but they didn't even have ONE Gibson to look at.  

And, yep, I know Martin and a few others.  I just want Gibson because he said it'd be awesome sound and honestly, this man is so nice he really doesn't spend money on himself so I sure hope to pull this off, I think I can.  I even made myself a special savings account for it.

I think all of the support here is great!  i saw a KOA on line and wow, gorgeous but I think that's a little more than I can afford or it'd be my #1 pick, the wood is just beautiful.  

9 hours ago, schnebbles said:

Thanks again everyone 🙂 I went to Guitar Center yesterday just to look but they didn't even have ONE Gibson to look at.  

And, yep, I know Martin and a few others.  I just want Gibson because he said it'd be awesome sound and honestly, this man is so nice he really doesn't spend money on himself so I sure hope to pull this off, I think I can.  I even made myself a special savings account for it.

I think all of the support here is great!  i saw a KOA on line and wow, gorgeous but I think that's a little more than I can afford or it'd be my #1 pick, the wood is just beautiful.  

I have a Koa one listed on EBay you can look at.  If interested PM me. The price is jacked up a bit to cover fees and allow offers but it should be within your price range away from EBay. It's also listed on FaceBook.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3091446234304936 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124291254678

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Dave F
  • Like 1

The SJ200 is considered the King of Guitars.. There are lots of good Guitars. Like Gibson J45's & Martin D28's.. Many others as well.

But, IMO, the only other Guitar that comes close to an SJ200 is a Martin D45... Both are the Top of the Line Guitars... Anything less is, well, less...

The Boy Friend will be over the Moon with an SJ200!

• Like 1