Gibson Brands Forums

impending NGD

merciful-evans

Short while back I was feeling pleased that I got sensible and passed up a bargain Gibson guitar. Sensible is now AWOL. I’ve just bought a guitar online. With any luck it’ll be arriving next Tuesday

Its not a Gibson

Its not a Epi

Its not expensive

It’s a 2004 model with P-90s. I will likely need to replace the bridge. I may  replace the pickups. I’ll see how they sound.

It weighs 6lb 3.4oz

It comes with a decent fitted (non original) case.

Here it is

Abalone dots

Fender%20Korea%20TC-90%20Redburst%200410

ash body

Fender%20Korea%20TC-90%20Redburst%200410

1 minute ago, Rabs said:

Ohh nice...

That was kind of the idea (well not the hollow bit) behind one of my very early builds... So I am very familiar with the shape 🙂 

This one..

dxtCm05.jpg

Well your bridge would suit me better! Well all the hardwear TBH. 

I remember seeing this build before. Did you sell it?

1 minute ago, merciful-evans said:

That must feel good

Yes... Its why I did it in the first place.. The idea of making an instrument that someone enjoys and hopefully inspires them to play more.  It certainly wasn't because I thought I would get rich doing it or anything, not in this silly industry  🙂

11 hours ago, sparquelito said:

I like that a LOT. 

I really love the single Volume and Tone knobs. 
And the pickup selector switch location. 
And those P-90's. 
I wouldn't change a thing. 

😃

Well in all likelihood I wont be able to adjust that bridge (arthritis). Its thumbwheels only with no screw slots in the posts. We believe its the same hardwear as on the Squier Esprit (same period & OEM) and I changed the bridge on that for the same reason.  Yes its possible to use pliers but eventually they're gonna slip & damage the top.

I really hope I like the P-90s, but I know they're very hot. Yes the volume knob might tame them, but I'm an old dog and working the volume knob is a new trick. I'm also a bit wary of SDs. There must be a set somewhere that I'll like, but I haven't found them so far. Fingers crossed 🤞.

Looks like it's in really nice shape, too.

I think so Steve. Looks cleaner than the one Trogly reviewed. It has upgraded string trees too.

I try to do a sound demo when it reaches me.

Well the guitar arrived on Tuesday (17-11-2020) and I would have posted further about it and uploaded a video demo. Pickups are much better than I thought. Sounds great. Furthermore, through my THR30 amp (gate) there is no 50 cycle hum (yes its 60 in USA I know) at all. I turned it full up & it was as quiet as a mouse. Its in fine condition too. 

However... its likely I will have to return it. Still exchanging messages with seller right now. Its not his fault. I could tell from the pictures that there is sufficient reveal (real estate) either side of the strings, but the heavy rolling of the edges has negated that. That's not something you can see in pictures and I should have asked/checked. 

So for me it can never be a working guitar.  I did consider fitting a riser and making a slide guitar out of it. The story is not over yet...

Yeah. I really like it too. 

The seller initially wanted me to just send it back for a refund.

I had suggested that when restrictions are lifted at some point early next year I travel up to visit & PX it against something else. If I examine another guitar personally, there can be no mistake such as this one. He is now agreeable. So that's the plan. 

On 11/19/2020 at 7:14 AM, merciful-evans said:

I could tell from the pictures that there is sufficient reveal (real estate) either side of the strings, but the heavy rolling of the edges has negated that.

Sorry for the newbie question, but what does this mean.  It means that you like real estate either side of the strings, but this doesn't have it - or vice versa?  And for my knowledge, for what purpose?

1 hour ago, uncle fester said:

Sorry for the newbie question, but what does this mean.  It means that you like real estate either side of the strings, but this doesn't have it - or vice versa?  And for my knowledge, for what purpose?

No problem unc. I certainly do like real estate either side of the strings. To me its vital playing surface. Too little and I have a tendency to push those E strings right off the fingerboard. That would ruin any solo of course. Many people dont have this problem, so I'm owning up to clumsy technique here, but I cant change after 50 years of playing. 

The only options to deal with this for the TC-90 are as follows:

1/ fit a brass riser (raising the strings up) over the nut and use the guitar for slide exclusively.

https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/images2/360/0812/06/extension-nut-riser-slide-guitar_360_c1d874b1fc6d9032e318d81beef3f0da.jpg

2/ Fit heavier gauge strings such as 13-56 flatwounds and use the guitar as more of a jazz instrument. I wouldn't be able to push those strings off, nor do any string bends at all.

3/ Reduce the string spread overall by getting some blank saddles and cut string notches closer together. I have it in mind to modify an old bridge (of exactly the same design) by filing the saddle tops to remove the grooves and cut new ones. It might be that the strings would then be too close? But its an old redundant bridge, so I have nothing to lose and its a experiment worth doing.

Alright, I've modified the old redundant Esprit bridge. I've changed the string spread from 52 to 48 (2.0" to 1.9"). This has been the first time I have used my nut files. I never thought I'd be using them for something like this though.

That bridge is now on the TC 90 and yes its solved the problem but I'm now trying to see whether I can get used to the new reduced string spread. It does feel a bit weird, but so far ok.

KP2XLtx.jpg

Edited by merciful-evans

On 11/19/2020 at 6:14 AM, merciful-evans said:

Well the guitar arrived on Tuesday (17-11-2020) and I would have posted further about it and uploaded a video demo. Pickups are much better than I thought. Sounds great. Furthermore, through my THR30 amp (gate) there is no 50 cycle hum (yes its 60 in USA I know) at all. I turned it full up & it was as quiet as a mouse. Its in fine condition too. 

However... its likely I will have to return it. Still exchanging messages with seller right now. Its not his fault. I could tell from the pictures that there is sufficient reveal (real estate) either side of the strings, but the heavy rolling of the edges has negated that. That's not something you can see in pictures and I should have asked/checked. 

So for me it can never be a working guitar.  I did consider fitting a riser and making a slide guitar out of it. The story is not over yet...

Very nice ME,  I really like that one and in great condition.  Congrats.