Gibson Brands Forums

Lotto Win - What Guitar?

BluesKing777

I was thinking and wondering and assuming there must be some acoustic guitarists that have won lotto, the lot?

Now, as they moved to their new house on 50 acres at the beach, did they take their old collection of guitars? Or just leave them and the old car at the old house? 😐😵😲

And as the tradesman runs his angle grinder again next door on some new project thought of by the owners, more lipstick on a pig, my opinion, it occurred to me that if I did win the whole lot of the Lotto, after we were long gone to the new beach house on 500 acres with more room for the NEW guitar collection, I would have the current house .......redesigned, rebuilt, another level added, new landscape and then just before it is finished....change my mind! Pull it down, fellas! Do it again - here is my new plan! 😁 And rinse and repeat forever.

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

Hmmm...

Sounded a bit Tweedledum and Tweedledee, if you no what I mean....

But I just got back from a spin in the convertible (black) pictured earlier in the thread . Had the roof off to get the air, took dog for a walk in a park with lights, decided to keep driving a little, Boss with arms folded, dog happy and asleep in the back, had the radio on - the Boss’s choice of channel...I mean what more can you do? Feeling ill when Miley Cirus’s latest big hit came on, and the next song was one of those dreary 40 year old woman singers that try to sound like an imbecile, well, that is what I call the style. No more, BK777 says.....

Press the CD button and in the slot already is the intro to Z Z Top, Heads In Mississippi, filthy disgusting paint peeling A chord then D, repeat, turn that sucker up! ‘Shufflin’ thru the Texas sand, but my heads in Mississippi (x2)... The blues has got a hold of me, I believe I’m getting dizzy’.....

Yeah!

Not the thing to listen to sitting in the kitchen, but in the convertible with roof off getting the air, well, well....ahhhhhhh, ack, ack, ack, ack.........

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

diesel

On 11/23/2020 at 9:01 PM, jedzep said:

If you boys drove Subarus, you'd have nicer guitars,

That is/was my approach.  I had a couple of Subarus.  Now I have two 2010 Cubes -- only subcompact that can carry eight guitars, a bass, and two passengers.  Also two Ford Super Duty Diesels -- 1999 F250 and 2005 F350.  They last forever, and with toppers they can transport lots of guitars to festivals and pull RVs.  Also a 1971 Blazer I bought new.  I had a 1967 Stingray original 427 with my brother, but when he passed away, I gave my half to his family.   I guess I am all set on guitars, but never say never.

I also have hundreds of old cameras -- bound for a museum if anyone wants them. My late wife and I were into photography from the very first -- 35 mm SLRs  We use to shoot mostly B&W until kids drove us out of our dark rooms.  I now use digital SLRs -- I know my phone takes better pictures, but I am too old to change.  My house is decorated with vintage instruments and vintage cameras -- the decorations are lowish end stuff, but for the most part usable.  I am drawn to stuff my Scots Irish blue collar family might have treasured.  The old cameras mostly came from flea markets 40+ years ago when they cost a quarter.  Old guitars are still sonic treasures and 100 year old cardboard box cameras -- with their large film plane, tiny lens, incredible depth of field, and simple mechanisms -- can still take incredible pictures.  I scanned in the 35mm stuff awhile back -- I have an organized digital archive of 75000+ pictures that I sometimes use to assault y'all.

For the most part I don't need any more stuff.

Let's pick,.  I can always use more of that.

-Tom

Thanks Tom!

Tom's collection of stuff brings to mind another 'problem' big Lotto winners must have: what to do with all the current stuff you have and probably don't want....do want...don't want...

Give it away, sell it, set a match to it all? A lot of work you won't have much time for while you are counting your beans!!!😄

You know, you have the opportunity to 'let go' - myself, it could be 2 or 3 beautiful guitars and a laptop, perhaps? Modernism gone wild. 50 style all window low slung house on the sandhill on the beach with the music room overlooking the sand and one guitar and Mac....😁😁😁

BluesKing777.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jedzep said:

Now yer' talkin'. Something like that could convert many of us to one guitar households, while living in our car.

That is a superb-sounding guitar, with a price to match.

Kauri is  a really interesting wood which is an endangered species with strict harvesting rules. A lot of the timber being used now is salvaged from demolished old buildings, sort of like high-grade longleaf yellow pine in the US.

It was highly sought after for everything from shipbuilding to furniture to general construction.

Like a lot of timber resources throughout the world, when its harvesting was uncontrolled the kauri forests were logged almost to the point of extinction.

I worked in New Zealand for nine months in 2000, and six months in 2003. We drove out to the groves on the Coromandel to visit the ancient kauri trees, much as you would go to the Sequoia groves in northern California.

I have a friend  in NZ with a large 100-year-old sailboat built entirely of kauri. Virtually every piece of wood in it is still in near-perfect condition more than a century after it was cut, and the boat has been in constant use for that entire time.

Truly a magnificent wood.

36 minutes ago, jedzep said:

What is that, BK? A dingo?

We were told......half Australian Cattle Dog, half Staffordshire Terrier. (The first Australian Cattle Dogs were part Dingo.)

Another photo with its mini dog resort - photos by The Better Half on Samsung phone:

noBPVfrh.jpg

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

I'm still staying with a Guild F-612 - the 12-string jumbo with 18" lower bout - there's one listed on Reverb for over $10.6K Australian + shipping ... in 'Fair' condition!

https://reverb.com/au/item/125435-1971-guild-f-612-very-rare?locale=en-AU

Pete Townshend has one.

9fnvxAJl.jpg

Edited by Brucebubs

47 minutes ago, jedzep said:

I'm sticking to my guns. Pre-war 00/000 Martin. With the change I'll build a luxury partial underground bunker into the mountainside behind my house. I have a feeling my grand kids will need it.

I nearly had one of these 10 years ago, but someone else bought it - the one I looked at was a 1956 Martin 00-18 with red guard and the same old 'school desk' look!

Here is a lesson from Dave Hamburger on his old Martin clunker - add a vocal to this tune and it is probably all you need to play all night at the blues night....

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777
  • Like 1

On 11/26/2020 at 8:36 AM, BluesKing777 said:

Ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh...

There's a Lotto winner's guitar price:

https://thenorthamericanguitar.com/products/santa-cruz-om-custom-acoustic-guitar-ancient-kauri-ancient-sitka

BluesKing777.

Wow! 45,000 year old wood. 

Next thing you know someone will start making guitars from the 225,000,000 year old wood in the Petrified Forest.

Imagine how great they'll sound.

And cost.

RBSinTo

43 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Next thing you know someone will start making guitars from the 225,000,000 year old wood in the Petrified Forest.

And cost.

RBSinTo

There is probably no better guitar to use your Fossilized Walrus Ivory Bridge Pins on.

3 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

And cost.

RBSinTo

I think I could wait till someone else buys that and trades it in on something different down the road to maybe aquire it.  Its a nice sounding guitar but not 40ks worth.   The best way to keep the economy going is to spend money foolishly. 🙂

18 minutes ago, slimt said:

I think I could wait till someone else buys that and trades it in on something different down the road to maybe aquire it.  Its a nice sounding guitar but not 40ks worth.   The best way to keep the economy going is to spend money foolishly. 🙂

What was it that P.T. Barnum said?

RBSinTo