Gibson Brands Forums

Today we rock (...its been a while)

'Scales

Our last official gig was December 2019. In 2020...nothing apart from some rehearsals - sometimes with a few people there, sometimes just us, couple new songs...that's it.

Well, today is a glorious sunny Saturday here in our corner of the blessed Covid-less land of Oz and this afternoon we will be playing our bass players birthday at his house in the rainforest to hopefully 20 people, maybe more - nothing too amazing about that, but for the first time in more than a year we are breaking out the big guns - half stacks for both guitars, full stack for bass, big kit for drummer, whatever amount of PA we can muster. Going to be loud! And we have at least one other band opening for us with a set - our old bass player is in it and they also do original rock and we haven't seen them play - that will be fun, I haven't seen another live band in quite a while.

So, somewhere in this world today a bit of normality will be returning to some lives - keep the faith, good people...we'll all get there.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm going to f***in' blow my arse off on my 1st, 2nd, 3rd and all other gigs WHEN - not if -  I get back to it.  

The gloves will be off, the big amps will be on, all stops pulled out.

Later this year...whenever...I'll be ready.

Edited by jdgm
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Cheers gents, it was indeed a blast and we rocked out and then went to work kicking our 3 new songs into shape, because...(drumroll)...the other band offered us a slot between them and the headline local act at an honest to goodness full on pub gig at the end of February. 

Same cramped sweaty dive we played end of 2019 but it's a proper originals bands rock venue pulling a crowd of local muso's in the nearby city/town. I won't hold my breath until I see the posters up cos we all know how reliable bands are when it comes to organising things, but fingers crossed and just to have a couple of rehearsals coming up where you narrow it to a 45 min set of  your best 12 tunes will be a thrill in itself. Rock n f n Roll !!

• Thanks 1

Good for you Scales. Hope it's a great show, no matter how big or small. 

I could have played acoustic gigs last two weekends, but I declined on my wife's account.  Hopefully it won't be much longer for all of us.

Let us know how it goes.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

24 hours from now - (so that's Saturday morning in UK and ...? sometime last week in the US..?) -  we'll be back on stage in a sweaty rock pub...actually the same pub we were last on stage in 14 months ago.  12 songs, 45 minutes - usual strategy for me: slam down a beer, grab another, stride on stage and hope for the best!

We are in the middle of 3 bands which is great cos the sound should be sorted out and we can sleaze out quietly just before tear down time - just taking our amp heads and guitars and mics the rest is sorted.

It will be a bit weird (even more than usual) as crowd will be limited to about...I don't know 50, 80 ? its a small room anyway, but they'll be sitting at tables cos you can cant walk around drinking yet under Covid here in Oz for some reason. Whatever...I'll crank it up a bit extra for y'all!

hope things be likewise in your towns soon!

• Like 1

very cool, enjoy, still be safe...  does the dynamic of limited people sitting at tables vs crowding the floor change your set list? 

Just thinking out loud -  I'd probably try to make them all look like the guy from that old speaker commercial where it looks like sound is blowing everything backward.  Then lull them off the edge with a rock ballard....  then back on the edge.  Wow, it's cool to hear you have a gig! 'luck

• Like 1

well, frankly it was a pleasure just to get back out and play - a few sound/tech issues to start, couldn't really hear anything much on stage...the usual cr@p...  but it went down well with the crowd so that's the main thing and we raised some cash on the door for charity.

I believe dancing and mingling in pubs is back any day now so normality is returning.  A few venues round here are having live music again - could yet be a a few gigs this year if we want!

Edited by 'Scales
  • Thanks 1

On 2/26/2021 at 9:51 PM, uncle fester said:

very cool, enjoy, still be safe...  does the dynamic of limited people sitting at tables vs crowding the floor change your set list? 

Just thinking out loud -  I'd probably try to make them all look like the guy from that old speaker commercial where it looks like sound is blowing everything backward.  Then lull them off the edge with a rock ballad....  then back on the edge.  Wow, it's cool to hear you have a gig! 'luck

hi Unc - sorry I missed your question before but it was actually ok with seating - they put some tables together running away from the stage and various other places to sit around the room and people basically just rocked away where they sat - not too different from most originals gigs where they tend to stand there and do much the same. Set list was the usual style - medium start, build it up, bring it down a touch, build it right up to a peak at the end...

anyhoo - here's a bit of the show  if interested (trying out a new song)...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CL0CFh2pXUj/

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 'Scales said:

well, frankly it was a pleasure just to get back out and play - a few sound/tech issues to start, couldn't really hear anything much on stage...the usual cr@p...  but it went down well with the crowd so that's the main thing and we raised some cash on the door for charity...

My most sincere congrats, Scales! Great news all round!

P.

• Like 1

Very cool 'Scales. 

I've actually played 2 acoustic gigs. Saturday of las;-t week and Friday last night at the same local bar. Although capacity is still not 100%, the crowd was very appreciative both nights. (we even got flashed some boobage by an enthusiastic lady 😎)  I have a feeling as the weather warms up, our outdoor gigs are gonna have great crowds.  

• Like 1

Latest Update - The scene round here appears to be bursting back into life. Several pubs now having bands Fridays and Saturdays, I've even seen a four band bill on a Thursday for next week. I'm quietly hoping the local state gov relax restrictions so people can dance and mingle indoors in pubs from Wednesday next week, which they are considering,...mainly because...

we have another gig for next Friday night at a local pub! 🎸 

So, the shipping news from downunder: still some turbulence to navigate,  but generally improving conditions forecast.

Hoping for same elsewhere in the free world!