Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul Standard maple top below the binding on cut away?

Terrence

Hello All,

Has anyone else seen this before, the maple top going below the binding on the cut away? Usually the mahogany meets the binding. It's a Gibson, I have the paperwork. It doesn't bother me, I just was wondering if anyone else has seen this.

Thank you for your time. 

IMG_1772.jpg

IMG_1771.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rct said:

Yes.  It is anywhere from a minor annoyance to full on rage inducing for guitar players.  I don't know why it is that way though I'm sure I've been told.

rct

Thank you. It's just a cosmetic thing that I didn't notice at first. I was just curious. 

4 minutes ago, Retired said:

Actually I haven't been around that many Gibsons to find something like that but No, I haven't.  Yeah, seeing it on the 2nd photo wouldn't bother me either. By the way, IT IS A VERY NICE GUITAR. 

Thank you, I really like the natural finish too. All the best. 

• Like 1

Nice wood pattern on the first picture, and the guitar is beautiful.

This cutaway is interesting. It is probably because the maple top is thicker at the neck, then at the sides farther away, and the binding is uniform height. So, pure geometry. I assume the mahogany below is of the same height all around the guitar. I wouldn't notice it on the second picture, if I had not been told.

Yes, I've seen it plenty of times.  Here's a pic of one of my LPs  with no binding - you can see the top is shaped thicker down the middle, between the neck joint and the tail end.  As has been pointed out, the normal size binding isn't deep enough to cover the exposed edge of the top.

JqLQP8z.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have seen it before like the OPs, but I've owned I think 6 Les Pauls (down to one now) and never had that part of the maple cap showing.  Either I got gyped on the thickness of the maple or my binding was more precice, I don't know?  I have a 2017 Standard now, and there is no maple cap showing and the binding is an even thickness all the way around the top.  That's what we love about Gibsons - each one is a little different from all the rest.👍

OK, I take it all back (I seem to be doing that a lot lately).  I looked more closely at mine (it's sunnier out today) and it does have a little maple cap showing.  It's hard to see and only about 1/16th of an inch:

ITURgop.jpg

Edited by Twang Gang
correction
  • Like 2

There are a lot of images on the web showing that same exposed cap material extending below the binding from several different years, including a some where the cap edge below the binding was stained to match the mahogany. Also quite a few where the binding got taller in the cutaway covering the cap.

I am finding that it is a very common feature going back several years..

Oh just found a product shot in the Gibson Archive of a 2016 LP Standard with the same thing...

LPNSTDPHSCH1_ELECTRONICS_SIDE.jpg

look to the right in the cutout area...

Edited by mihcmac

I wouldn't worry. I have a buddy who has one of the new '60's Standard models and it is the same way. I was actually watchin a review video of one of the '50's Standards and the guy said that many people think the smaller cutaway binding is a flaw, but it's not and went on to say that it's historically correct. 

• 1 year later...
On 3/19/2021 at 9:38 PM, Terrence said:

Hello All,

Has anyone else seen this before, the maple top going below the binding on the cut away? Usually the mahogany meets the binding. It's a Gibson, I have the paperwork. It doesn't bother me, I just was wondering if anyone else has seen this.

Thank you for your time. 

IMG_1772.jpg

IMG_1771.jpg

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

What I don’t get is why Gibson doesn’t just increase the thickness of the binding all the way around…cut into the mahogany a bit…to make it all “uniform” and hide the maple top in that area.🤔🤷🏻‍♂️