Gibson Brands Forums

Return guitar because I cannot change strings?

Violeiro

Need your opinion here. I sold a guitar - perfect condition as all my guitars. The buyer received the guitar and found the string (D string) to be "dull" and he didn't know how to change strings and want to return the guitar to me. I asked to take to a shop and ask them to change the strings, he said "he went to the shop and the shop said turn around time to change the string is one week."

I asked him to get into a zoom call with me and I would teach him how to change the string, he said no - "I am not comfortable changing strings. The guitar is not as advertised!"

Now, here I am thinking this guy just wanted to check out / try the guitar, maybe buyer remorse... I am not sure.... I am really mad with the situation.

What say you?

Edited by Violeiro

What kind of a guitar.?   Where did you sell  it through? What was the pay method?  Get him to send it back. Change the string and ship.      Keep your messages.  The item is not faulty. Just the string.      

Edited by slimt
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, slimt said:

What kind of a guitar.?   Where did you sell  it through? What was the pay method?  Get him to send it back. Change the string and ship.      Keep your messages.  The item is not faulty. Just the string.      

I advertised on reverb but did the deal directly via PayPal friends and family.

If he paid via friends and family at your request. They have no recourse.

the only time you have a issue is if you sent them a invoice via pp  for purchase of a item as a sale     Family and friends is not a sale   They basically sent money to a friend which is not recoverable  

heres a example  :::  If you wanted to help me get on my feet  and your sent me funds as a friend or family   You basically gave your money to me .  Something you cannot not get back.  

Reverb wont even do anything. Because your CC was not used in the transaction.    

Edited by slimt
  • Like 1

Does he know how to make food to eat?

Stupid people suffer. Changing strings is a thing that you don't ever have to do, but like an oil change in your car, you should eventually do it. If you can't learn how to change strings on your guitar then you shouldn't be able to be allowed to breath. You Tube is your friend.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, cunningham26 said:

Even if he leaves a bad review, everyone will laugh at it! I wouldnt sweat it and would probably just stop responding- you've done your part.

He can’t leave a review, the sale was done privately via PayPal friends and family.

I will let him return, will probably not take the whole 10% fee as I said on the reverb policy, but will definitely take some.

• Like 1

Here is what really happened! He got the guitar. He decided that he no longer wanted to spend the money on the guitar. He determined he made a mistake in buying the guitar, and now has buyers remorse. He now must find a reason...an excuse...to return it and get his money back. He notices that the guitar is in perfect condition. He can not find anything wrong with the guitar.  So he makes something up....Ahhhh Haaaa says the buyer!  A string is out of tune, guitar not sold as advertised! I would tell him to take a nice walk, to the nearest bridge, and jump!

Edited by ALD323
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Does he know how to make food to eat?

Stupid people suffer. Changing strings is a thing that you don't ever have to do, but like an oil change in your car, you should eventually do it. If you can't learn how to change strings on your guitar then you shouldn't be able to be allowed to breath. You Tube is your friend.

He might require a manual for breathing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Violeiro said:

I will let him return, will probably not take the whole 10% fee as I said on the reverb policy, but will definitely take some.

I understand what everyone is saying, but I agree with you. Sometimes a piece of mind is worth doing something you technically and morally do not have to do.

• Like 1

This really bothers me.... I will try this. Fair?

I sold the guitar for $4750. I will get $250 return fee. Upon inspection and making sure all is 100% I will put for sale and pass the fee to the new buyer less $50, and the next buyer pays shipping.... so have the guitar for sale for $4550 and buyer pays shipping. 

Of course forum rules will apply but if buyer has remorse then buyer also pays shipping back.

Fair?

2 hours ago, Violeiro said:

This really bothers me.... I will try this. Fair?

I sold the guitar for $4750. I will get $250 return fee. Upon inspection and making sure all is 100% I will put for sale and pass the fee to the new buyer less $50, and the next buyer pays shipping.... so have the guitar for sale for $4550 and buyer pays shipping. 

Of course forum rules will apply but if buyer has remorse then buyer also pays shipping back.

Fair?

You do what you feel is best for you.  

Make sure you add in your description. Please view the pictures, and ask questions.        

make sure you look it over very well.    

its a gamble selling. I get that. Ive sold my share  of expensive ones.  I dont ever recall having one not being able to change a string.      But some have posed some very good questions in regards to the Guitars    

He bought a guitar and if the guitar was shipped to him, and arrived undamaged, and you disclosed everything about it, and he can't change strings that is his problem not yours. If he can't change strings how does he even know which one is the D strings. I would do nothing. and sorry but its your guitar now. If you stated no returns he's SOL. If you sold it on Reverb and he tries to have them help him out, and he says he wants to return it cause he is not comfortable changing strings they will laugh in his face. Did he need instructions on how to remove it from the case?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper