Gibson Brands Forums

To our Canadian contention.

Whitefang

Whitefang,

I think you meant "To our Canadian contingent". But your heart was in the right place, so we'll graciously accept your kind wishes, and thank you for them.

And to all of the Americans who post here, our very sincere best wishes to you all for a happy and safe Forth of July holiday as well.

RBSinTo

• Like 2

I'll graciously accept your 4th of July best wishes, but more importantly, I'll thank you kindly for the correction.   [smile]  That was the word I intended, but try as I might, couldn't scrape it off the tip of my tongue.  [wink]

Whitefang

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Whitefang said:

I'll graciously accept your 4th of July best wishes, but more importantly, I'll thank you kindly for the correction.   [smile]  That was the word I intended, but try as I might, couldn't scrape it off the tip of my tongue.  [wink]

Whitefang

C-

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, sparquelito said:

I would also like to wish our Canadian friends a Happy Anisette Day.

Cheers, especially to those in New Brunswick and Quebec, where the practice of drinking Anisette is most common. 

🙂

anisettewithbeans.jpg

$hit! Wish I'd known.

I would have gathered up all my dirty paint brushes, and driven next door to Quebec to get them cleaned.

Marked it on the calendar for next year. Appreciate the heads up.

RBSinTo

17 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

Feh.

Our number one musical export is the music and voice of Burton Cummings.

A towering, and sadly under-rated talent.

RBSinTo

I can be OK with that.   But those who know me figure I'd go with-----

Or this(next to Dylan) other big influence of mine  [wink]

Whitefang

20 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

I can be OK with that.   But those who know me figure I'd go with-----

Or this(next to Dylan) other big influence of mine  [wink]

She is a wonderful composer, singer and musician, and is deservedly so, recognized as such.

Cummings sadly, is not, in my opinion, given his due.

Lightfoot, I can take or leave.

A number of years ago, I was photographing on the shores of Lake Superior, and we visited Whitefish Bay close to where the Edmund Fitzgerald sank.

At the souvenir shop near the lighthouse, they sell all manner of Lake Superior touristy stuff, including a ton of Fitzgeraldabilia, and they play "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" over, and over and over............and over, and over.

Which is why I'm not a fan of Mr. Lightfoot.

RBSinTo

• Confused 1

Surely, you can't dislike Lightfoot because of what the SOUVENIR shop does with ONE SONG of his?   :rolleyes:  

That's as silly as if I said I didn't like SIMON AND GARFUNKEL because of the way the radio stations WAY overplayed "Mrs. Robinson" in the late '60's.  

But I do agree with you on Cummings being too largely overlooked.   But you might find this interesting.  [wink]

Whitefang

4 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Surely, you can't dislike Lightfoot because of what the SOUVENIR shop does with ONE SONG of his?   :rolleyes:  

That's as silly as if I said I didn't like SIMON AND GARFUNKEL because of the way the radio stations WAY overplayed "Mrs. Robinson" in the late '60's.  

But I do agree with you on Cummings being too largely overlooked.   But you might find this interesting.  [wink]

Whitefang

Whitefang,

No. You are right.

Actually, like Dylan, I just never liked his songs or his singing, which always kind of grated on me. Being subjected to his music for the hour or so that we were in the shop just kind of sealed the deal.

And don't call me Shirley.

RBSinTo

Amos Garrett?

In jazz, Ed Bickert and Lorne Lofsky.....and the legendary rhythm team of Terry Clarke and Don Thompson.

Weren't some of the Band Canadian?  Robbie Robertson at least.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jdgm said:

Amos Garrett?

In jazz, Ed Bickert and Lorne Lofsky.....and the legendary rhythm team of Terry Clarke and Don Thompson.

jdgm,

The only non-Canadian member of the Band was Levon Helm, who was from Arkansas.

RBSinTo

17 hours ago, jdgm said:

Amos Garrett?

Ha!  Your mention of Bickert Thompson  and Clarke reminded me of ROB McCONNELL, leader of that top shelf jazz ensemble BOSS BRASS!  I imagine many of them to be Canadian as well.

"Start With Mrs. Beanhart" is a favorite of mine on their  "Present Perfect" LP.  But, what track isn't?  [wink]

Whitefang