Gibson Brands Forums

New Generation Collection

BoSoxBiker

11 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Seriously - this is the kind of marketing ca ca  I would expect of a company being run by a former Levis Lifestyle Guru. 

I have to admit, and it may be pushing it,  but is it possible there is a correlation between the latest popular trend of new Levi’s now having multiple holes in them and a new guitar run by a former Levi’s executive now having multiple sound holes in them?   No offense to anyone, just pushing the envelope here.

QM aka:  ”Jazzman” Jeff

• Like 1

Tough room…

In the mid 2000s I’d seen $6,000 guitars with the port. Everyone raved. Folks on AGF posted tutorials how to add one to their own guitar.

here, Gibson, trying to appeal  to a lower price point, and knowing that they already make 16 billion other J45s old school, albeit some with funky colors… here  they make an entry level made in America G45 20% cheaper than a Martin D15, and it’s like Obama ordered mask wearing in a QANON bar and grill in Florida.

if I had the scratch I’d buy one just to see  Martin Pepper convulse and twitch …. 🙂

I think it’s a nice Gibson move, and I bet with the natural satin  finish they sound great.

Edited by Salfromchatham
  • Like 2

Tough room indeed. Well, maybe just one toughie. While railing against the use of the word "exclusive" might provide good ammunition for those looking to snipe, it is possible that Gibson Marketing just might've meant that the sound port was only going to be offered on the Generation line of their guitars.

11 hours ago, PickitPaul said:

After having a look at pics on Gibson webpage on these I noticed the sound port is surrounded by black plastic / rubber?  Would have looked nicer left plain wood.  Looking inside i see that the kerfling is solid, not ribbed.   Wonder why this is?   How does it differ with side thickness from regular L00 or other models?. . . 

. . . 

Oh well, i am old school.  Guess i'll be keeping my trusty WM45.

P.i.P.  - 'any chance you could do a screen capture & post it? I couldn't see any shots showing the kerfing in the page that was linked to in the OP .

. . . and yes, the WM-45's were sleepers- mine providing the JFortyFive-iest sound of all the J'45's that I've had through my hands.

• Like 1

My only complaint is the marketing video of the G-45 used a capo. As nice as it sounded and as nice as her playing was, I prefer to hear guitars in standard tuning, sans capo, and hopefully with a bit of variety to the playing. Anything else triggers some "what are they hidding?" thoughts.

I remember those expensive sound ported guitars from 15 years ago too. I wasn't much into acoustics then, but I did remember it sounding different in a good way.

8 hours ago, Salfromchatham said:

.......if I had the scratch I’d buy one just to see  Martin Pepper convulse and twitch …. 🙂

Salfromchatham,

What better reason for buying yet another guitar, than that?

To see someone else "convulse and twitch".

If the shoe was on the other foot, you and the rest of the invitees would be crapping all over the Chief. But in this case, not a peep. Just crickets.

If you want a guitar with another sound port in it so badly, you can get a hole saw bit for $8.00  at Home Depot.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo

"here  they make an entry level made in America G45 20% cheaper than a Martin D15, and it’s like Obama ordered mask wearing in a QANON bar and grill in Florida."

really? That's what it's like? Personally I'll take the  15 series  any day.  These aren't the first entry level guitars Gibson has made. 

12 hours ago, QuestionMark said:

I have to admit, and it may be pushing it,  but is it possible there is a correlation between the latest popular trend of new Levi’s now having multiple holes in them and a new guitar run by a former Levi’s executive now having multiple sound holes in them?   No offense to anyone, just pushing the envelope here.

QM aka:  ”Jazzman” Jeff

Given that the Levis guy who got the job seemed to be more interested in yoga pants than jeans I posed the question of how long would it be until we saw new lines of slim body guitars.  Hey, I was only joking.

I think part of the confusion lies in whether these  "New Generation"  (is that a cliche?) guitars are what a reasonable man would call 'Entry Level'  or are what I would call "Second Rung"  Entry Level - is that like the 'Student Guitar'  which many described the LG1 as back in the mid-60s?  When, in fact, it was 5x as expensive as an actual student guitar.    I think 'entry level' conjures up images of a teen  "Entering The Acoustic Room in Guitar Center" for the first time and deciding how much he would spend on a guitar, not knowing if he will be motivated enough to keep at it.  Knowing, if he's done any research, that most who get their first guitar, never get past a half dozen chords, picking notes by ear by trial and error and finally quiting when their fingers are hurting too much.   Entry Level would be  a guitar under $400 that doesn't come with a case.  Gibson has Epiphone as a brand that meets the needs of most real 'entry level' purchasers.   And within Epi - the Inspired By Gibson line to provide that Second Rung to the real thing.   The marketing folks in Nashville probably view this 'New Generation'  as a way to snag those players who have passed their first year, gotten through the first two Mel Bay books and are over the hump where "Enjoyment >  Unhappiness of Practicing".     Sure there are first time purchasers flush with cash, who's parents got them a 2021 Mustang GT for graduating from HS -  but Gibson isn't going to turn a profit on this niche - there's not enough of them buying 'entry level guitars'.   This offering is meant to attract a different group. 

Edited by fortyearspickn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

I think part of the confusion lies in whether these  "New Generation"  (is that a cliche?) guitars are what a reasonable man would call 'Entry Level'  or are what I would call "Second Rung"  Entry Level - is that like the 'Student Guitar'  which many described the LG1 as back in the mid-60s?  When, in fact, it was 5x as expensive as an actual student guitar.    I think 'entry level' conjures up images of a teen  "Entering The Acoustic Room in Guitar Center" for the first time and deciding how much he would spend on a guitar, not knowing if he will be motivated enough to keep at it.  Knowing, if he's done any research, that most who get their first guitar, never get past a half dozen chords, picking notes by ear by trial and error and finally quiting when their fingers are hurting too much.   Usually a guitar under $400 that doesn't come with a case.  Gibson has Epiphone has a brand that meets the needs of most real 'entry level' purchasers.   And the Inspired By Gibson line to provide that Second Rung to the real thing.   The marketing folks in Nashville probably view this 'New Generation'  as a way to snag those players who have passed their first year, gotten through the first two Mel Bay books and are over the hump where "Enjoyment >  Unhappiness of Practicing".     Sure there are first time purchasers flush with cash, who's parents got them a 2021 Mustang GT for graduating from HS -  but Gibson isn't going to turn a profit on this niche - there's not enough of them buying 'entry level guitars'.   This offering is meant to attract a different group. 

The G-200 with the super exclusive Gib-sonic sound port is $1999 and that does not seem like entry level or student model money to me. 

1 hour ago, Paul14 said:

"here  they make an entry level made in America G45 20% cheaper than a Martin D15, and it’s like Obama ordered mask wearing in a QANON bar and grill in Florida."

really? That's what it's like? Personally I'll take the  15 series  any day.  These aren't the first entry level guitars Gibson has made. 

The 15 Series by Martin is the best value I've  seen for an American made quality acoustic guitar, $1299 and a HSC. I'm on my 3rd one.  One I gave away as a present, one I traded to get a Tele and this one I'm keeping. They just got a ice water break in Hell due to someone agreeing with me or I guess me agreeing with him.

Later B-itches 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

8 minutes ago, scriv58 said:

Haters gonna hate

My guess is you are going to get one in each flavor cause they are so revolutionary? Or your gonna get none of them and tell me I'm a hater while applauding Gibson's direction under the rule of JC, which is I see no better than when King Henry was at the helm.

3 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

The G-200 with the super exclusive Gib-sonic sound port is $1999 and that does not seem like entry level or student model money to me. 

The 15 Series by Martin is the best value I've  seen for an American made quality acoustic guitar, $1299 and a HSC. I know Sal has had one. I'm on my 3rd one.  One I gave away as a present, one I traded to get a Tele and this one I'm keeping.

I’ve owned a few of them too. Finally ended up with a 0015.  

7 minutes ago, Paul14 said:

I’ve owned a few of them too. Finally ended up with a 0015.  

Nice. I got a D-15 and I want a 000-15 and 00-15 too. I have a 00-18, 000-18 and 000-28. Martin makes fantastic small body guitars, but the moral majority here dump on them cause they don't sound "tubby' or have bark or growl. Wonder why those CSNY guys used Martins cause according to most of you, Martins are trash.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

12 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

My guess is you are going to get one in each flavor cause they are so revolutionary? Or your gonna get none of them and tell me I'm a hater while applauding Gibson's direction under the rule of JC, which is I see no better than when King Henry was at the helm.

Bad guess-  I’m happy with my three ancient Gibson models. All I meant was…haters gonna hate.

While I intentionally pushed the envelope with my funny correlation comment between the now popular trend of Levi jeans with multiple holes and now Gibson models, I think what really is causing the current ok/not ok debate about the New Generation models is the same old same old with Gibsons that Henry openly said he could not overcome during his final days as CEO and that JC said he would try to find a balance for, if he could, during his new reign.  And, that being the marketing obstacle to Gibsons that many Gibson owners and buyers have certain expectations of only traditional Gibsons from the company.   That Henry tried to overcome and basically only could with the Songwriter model, despite other non-J45, J-200, Hummingbird, etc models being introduced to expand the lineup.  I think that’s why JC started renaming so many newer models with a J45 association rather than say a J-15 moniker even though it clearly was just a renaming game that apparently is working.  But, now, Gibson is opening labelling a new line as a New Generation line meaning it differs from the traditional line and…well look what’s back!  Traditionalists balking at Gibson expanding the line up.  So it’s not really haters vs non-haters, it’s just Gibson trying to openly be a traditionalist company and a non-traditionalist company to see how that works.  And, look how the divide is already causing a reaction.  Yet, Gibson does need to figure out a way to be both a traditionalist company and a company that gets those who are not interested in traditions to purchase Gibsons rather than Taylor’s, Breedloves, or even Martins (who is actually managing lately to come out with successful new environmentally friendly guitars and models that deviate from their traditional line of guitars to new and existing buyers.)    And. if Gibson is actually using Levi’s strategy, which I meant tongue in cheek regarding multiple holes, well Levi’s must be given credit for being a long term company who has taken a very old tradition product that somehow  keeps getting new generations of young people to keep buying and wearing their product.  So, I give JC credit for his new line and effort.  It’s not like he’s discontinuing the traditional line that he has really beefed up since his reign started.  Let’s hope this new generation adds to Gibson’s traditional sales so the company thrives and keeps Gibson guitars in all players hands for a long time.

This is one of those things that needn’t be either/or.  They should have both traditional guitars and non-traditional ones that sell well to help keep them in business and competitive with companies like Martin who are doing that.

Just my thoughts.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Edited by QuestionMark
  • Like 1

I was a long time Gibson guy.  My first real electric was a "The Paul", and I've owned 4 LP's, 4 SG's, a BB King, an ES-335, an Explorer, a ES-225TD and a J-15.  I've been on this forum with a few different names since about 2013 or so. I could be the CEO of this company. Its an easy job, yet the rich guys that steer this company are out of touch with what  you guys want and just keep making stupid and bad decisions like (the exclusive which it isn't Gibson Player Port, the Tronical Tuner, the sticker under the lacquer of Les Paul waiving "Hi" on all 2015 guitars, the Firebird X, the 0 fret brass nut, cryogenic frets), I can go on if you like with more whiz bangers from the past if you want me to. I'm in touch, and why you ask. Well I've as stated above I've owned and used their guitars and have been a member here for a little while. You guys are not interested in innovation and anything to fancy. You want the classics and you want the classics to stay that way (certainly nothing wrong with that). I applaud Gibson when they come out with guitars priced where the average Joe on the street can afford them. Now Gibson also does the $10,000 aged and beat up thing (Martin does to and it makes me cry at night), and I guess the uber-rich can buy those if they please to show off to all their cronies that they have a 10k guitar they can't and don't play. 

If made CEO I would promise to keep your precious and revered J-45's  just as you like them, all J-45-y with banners on the headstock and all would have the same color scheme you guys, and girls if you identify that way, like. All LP's would be made of solid extra heavy wood and will not be weight relived. At a minimum each one will weight 13 pounds and come with one free trip to a Chiropractor. All ES-335's will have dots on the neck. All SG's when played will make you sound like either Angus or Iommi. We will make more signature models of guitars from players you have never heard of and will only sell them in Japan, cause they have the money to buy them. 

Like one guy said. I never had a problem hearing my self play with only one hole in my acoustic. 

We are all waiting on your review JVC

Later B-itches

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

As a newb to this forum and a newb to Gibson acoustics, I am really happy about this series.  A  little back story,  I'm a newly retired elementary school music teacher.  I've wanted a Gibson acoustic for a long as I can remember.  They were always out of my financial range, family, college, wedding for my daughter etc... (I'm sure I'm not the only one in this boat).  I do consider myself fortunate though, and have a nice 1998 Martin 000-1 (mahogany back) my wife bought me back then, and a Rainsong CH-OM (open box paid $1300 for it).  Paying for the Rainsong took me 15 months, but since it's the guitar I make money with, it wasn't a big deal.  I've been gigging solo for over 30 years.   But now gigging is a main source of my income since I've retired, playing maybe 70-75 times a year since covid.   So I still can't lay out $2600 for a Standard L-00.  Enter the new G series,  $999 for G-00, that I can handle, so it's a win for me.  Maybe it's not totally traditional, but it has enough of the Gibson ingredients for me.  Also, I don't think of this series as a beginners series, but a no-frills series that just happen to have a sound-port.  

I did receive my G-00 today and will be gigging it tonight with a Dearmond Tone Boss (thanks Sal).  I've played it a bit today. 

Some of my first impressions: 

It's a Gibson!  Solid build and clean as all get out, not a drop of glue anywhere (you can really see a lot through the port) the  neck joint is solid, nice ebony board and bridge, this little guy rings out.  The satin nitro is thin as paper and probably why the guitar rings and is so loud.  Thick mids, bright trebles and some bass, though not a lot.  i wonder if the port has taken away some of the bass, or if the mids and highs overwhelm it.  That said,  when I play it up against a wall, you can hear more bass.  I'm not sure if I love the port, still too new (to me)  I 've never had a guitar with one before, but either way, not a deal breaker.  

Playability is great!  I love the neck, the nut width and the comfort of a small body, my personal preferences.  So bottom line, I think that Gibson may have a hit with these, and now I can say, Only a Gibson is Good Enough.

joe

Edited by jricc
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

I think part of the confusion lies in whether these  "New Generation"  (is that a cliche?) guitars are what a reasonable man would call 'Entry Level'  or are what I would call "Second Rung"  Entry Level - is that like the 'Student Guitar'  which many described the LG1 as back in the mid-60s?  When, in fact, it was 5x as expensive as an actual student guitar.    I think 'entry level' conjures up images of a teen  "Entering The Acoustic Room in Guitar Center" for the first time and deciding how much he would spend on a guitar, not knowing if he will be motivated enough to keep at it.  

Gibson never touted the LG1 as a student guitar.  Nor did I hear it called such.  Gibson described it  simply in terms of it being a  top value at its low price.  That would appear to be the same marketing pitch as that being used with the New Generation Line.  The LG-0 which sold for for about 3/4 of what the LG1 went for though was described as a top seller favored by students.  Even this, however, sold for almost five times more than a Harmony Stella which was pretty much the ultimate beginner's guitar.

12 hours ago, zombywoof said:

Gibson never touted the LG1 as a student guitar.  Nor did I hear it called such.  Gibson described it  simply in terms of it being a  top value at its low price.  That would appear to be the same marketing pitch as that being used with the New Generation Line.  The LG-0 which sold for for about 3/4 of what the LG1 went for though was described as a top seller favored by students.  Even this, however, sold for almost five times more than a Harmony Stella which was pretty much the ultimate beginner's guitar.

I didn't say Gibson touted their LG1 as a student guitar.   I'm sure they didn't -  being one of the premier guitar producers, their brand would have suffered if they had.     I was referring to the dozens of comments I've read - many of them  here,  over the years making that claim.   My first guitar was a  Stella which was around $25.  My first good guitar was an LG1 in '64 which was around $130.   That was the basis of my stating it was around 5x more expensive.   And, the actual point of my comment was that the  New Generation line is not 'entry level'.   

36 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

I didn't say Gibson touted their LG1 as a student guitar.   I'm sure they didn't -  being one of the premier guitar producers, their brand would have suffered if they had...  My first good guitar was an LG1 in '64 which was around $130.   That was the basis of my stating it was around 5x more expensive.  

This is interesting. My dad brought home a new ‘64 LG-1 because my then-8 yo brother wanted to take lessons. I was 7, but I remember my dad’s excitement about getting a student guitar for him. My dad knew zero about guitars when he walked into the music store next to his office.  (Kramers, on Milwaukee Avenue in…Niles, IL. The details a kid remembers!)

Somebody there most definitely touted it as a “student” guitar. 

I’ve told this story before, I think, but the February day he brought it home was the day we all learned about crazing. Apparently, he bought the thing on his lunch hour and stored it in the trunk of our car. So when came home at dinner time to impress us all, we gathered around as he opened the case. We oohed and aahed… and within minutes, we heard a quiet snapping and watched little spider-y lines run across the shiney, orange top. My dad’s face went white, and he was sure the guitar was shattered. A few days later, he told us he’d checked with the store and…learned that the damage was cosmetic only.  He relayed in great detail the physics behind what we saw and heard that first evening, and then, wiser and a bit subdued, he turned to his four kids and wife and pronounced “The moral of the story is, ‘Never leave a guitar in your trunk in winter.’”

Me, I fell in love with it at first sight, and during the 50+ years I played it, I sometimes referred to it as a teacher guitar, because I was the only student in that relationship.

• Like 3