Gibson Brands Forums

A fun little project over the holiday break.

duane v

So after watching the Get Back documentary five times… lol… I very much grew mesmerized by the Rocky Strat. So I figured I would use my $100 Guitar Center gift card I received for Christmas and purchase 2020 Fender Lake Pacid Squier Strat. With the open box discount and $100 gift card a $285 investment. Next I purchased a Made In USA Fender tremolo then added three Abigail Ybarra pickups, upgraded switch and potentiometers I already had. And had a neck plate made.

Overall it took me 7 days to complete. Paints, brushes, finishing wax and other items cost me $270. So overall about $600. Still giving it a few more days to dry before putting on strings.

FullSizeRender(1).jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, duane v said:

So after watching the Get Back documentary five times… lol… I very much grew mesmerized by the Rocky Strat. So I figured I would use my $100 Guitar Center gift card I received for Christmas and purchase 2020 Fender Lake Pacid Squier Strat. With the open box discount and $100 gift card a $285 investment. Next I purchased a Made In USA Fender tremolo then added three Abigail Ybarra pickups, upgraded switch and potentiometers I already had. And had a neck plate made.

Overall it took me 7 days to complete. Paints, brushes, finishing wax and other items cost me $270. So overall about $600. Still giving it a few more days to dry before putting on strings.

FullSizeRender(1).jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

Nice. You gonna set it up for slide work like George did?

You got me beat. I'm at I think 3 times watching it. It is killer and I see different stuff every time. I especially like watching Yoko eat, scream like a wounded animal into the mic, paint, knit or sew, and just be basically useless.

I love when Paul calls Glyn Johns a fuk-face after he interrupts the beginning of a recording.

The dill-wad director thinks he's cool calling all The Beatles by just their initials. 

Did the Beatles survive on toast and cigarettes?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

18 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Nice. You gonna set it up for slide work like George did?

You got me beat. I'm at I think 3 times watching it. It is killer and I see different stuff every time. I especially like watching Yoko eat, scream like a wounded animal into the mic, paint, knit or sew, and just be basically useless.

I love when Paul calls Glyn Johns a fuk-face after he interrupts the beginning of a recording.

The dill-wad director thinks he's cool calling all The Beatles by just their initials. 

Did the Beatles survive on toast and cigarettes?

I heard in the early days it was corn flakes.

Anyway....  I never did detail a guitar in that fashion.  Only with a couple "peace" sign stickers and a Woodstock sticker I got at a theater that was playing the documentary.  But that was 50 or so years ago.

Back in '93,  while recovering from foot surgery, I used the wide variety of colors of paint pens I pilfered from work to detail my crutches.  

And you did a fine job on that axe Duane.

Whitefang

3 hours ago, kidblast said:

Wait, you watched that whole thing 5 times?????????????????????

Nice work on the strat tho.  that looks pretty cool.

I did…. Every time I watch it there’s something new that pops out at us.

three things…..

1. I really could relate to their musical approach to recording. The song evolving process was very much a great garage band would do in preparing for the studio….. very relatable and simple….. but ya… you gotta have great songs though…. Lol 

2. They nailed One After 909, Ive Gotta Feeling (aka I gotta hardon), and Dig A Pony on that freezing roof. They should  have went on tour…. They have a huge rock sound live.

3. I thought the lads got along  good considering they’ve been breathing on each other since 1957 …… But all that smoking…. I’ll bet that studio room still smells like feet, farts and cigarette…..uggh 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, duane v said:

I did…. Every time I watch it there’s something new that pops out at us.

three things…..

1. I really could relate to their musical approach to recording. The song evolving process was very much a great garage band would do in preparing for the studio….. very relatable and simple….. but ya… you gotta have great songs though…. Lol 

2. They nailed One After 909, Ive Gotta Feeling (aka I gotta hardon), and Dig A Pony on that freezing roof. They should  have went on tour…. They have a huge rock sound live.

3. I thought the lads got along  good considering they’ve been breathing on each other since 1957 …… But all that smoking…. I’ll bet that studio room still smells like feet, farts and cigarette…..uggh 

I've been in an originals band for over 20 years,   we wrote a lot of tunes, doing just that.  The songs will come, sometimes they "Don't come easy"  see what I did there..

The roof top segment was the prize.  Amazing how good that all sounded considering the recording was done in the basement 6 floors down

But all that smoking…. I’ll bet that studio room still smells like feet, farts and cigarette…..uggh 

haha!  I know right?  they should have all had like lung cancer or something. 

The one thing I came to appreciate was John's sense of humor.   I knew he was a pretty funny guy but it came out real strong in the 3 episodes. 

All that said, while I did dig the movie, and it gave me a totally different perspective on what made them tick, I don't think I would watch it again.  lots of very slow moments...

Edited by kidblast

On 1/14/2022 at 5:00 AM, cookieman15061 said:

Great job on Rocky and you saved yourself $24,000 !

Win Win

I was shocked when I found out the price, and this is no knock on the artists at Fender that are hand painting these instruments, because they are truly wonderful works of art. However, I would have given Fender $5000 for it, but $25k is just way beyond reasonable for a bolt-on neck instrument. …. But apparently they all sold.😳

I have to admit with the upgrades the guitar plays and sounds quite well. … And I gotta give George Harrison credit…. It truly is a piece of art in its own right. 

So my obsession continues: lol

So as I finished adding wax to the guitar and stringing it all up I noticed that George, Paul and John had this unique guitar strap with white adjustable buckle ends. Of course my search for this fell short, but I was lucky enough to find a strap with the same pattern but with black leather ends, so I purchased it and dyed the ends white (well still dying as it needs one more coat).

Next, how to make the white buckle ends: I needed leather material, and found these low budge 2: white  leather Perri's guitar strap to hack apart. Next ordered some 1" buckles from Amazon (but they sent me 1-1/4" so they are resending me 1" and should get them tomorrow). Leather scissors, and a leather hole punch and finally some Chicago binding screws. The project ran me $60

Rocky7.jpg

george7.jpg