Gibson Brands Forums

Last time you've splurged or overspent on a product

saturn

12 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Ha!  Sounds like she screwed you pretty good to me!  [tongue]

Whitefang

Not as bad as my old racing partner though.  We both invested in a 71 Dodge Colt I bought from some gals cheap.  It was gutted down to the outer shell.  No floor, windows front end or trunk. I bought a 4130 chrome moly tube frame with a 12 point cage and had a guy put in the front & rear end in it with all Racing equipment. To make a long story short, Finished, with me on the scales, it weighed less than 2,000 pounds. Everything was aluminum, plexiglass, or fiberglass.  I could pull the doors & front end off with quick release pins or change the transmission  out inside the car. My partner, stole it and sold it behind my back at the end of the season when Deb & I were on our honeymoon. I had much more cash in it than he, Plus he stole my extra 2 engines in it that were mine, a Hemi transmission and a great deal more.  It all amounted to thousands upon thousands of bucks. I had just bought a .45 Colt S&W and took it to his place to try it out in the country. Still have that gun. That's when he confessed about what he did. I had the gun in my hand and he thought I was going to blow his head off. That thought entered my head, but the only thing that saved him was, I had just become a good Christian. 

• Like 2

On 1/13/2022 at 8:48 AM, saturn said:

That Slate is another story all it's own and kinda funny. Yes it's an old roofing slate. There's a place in Baltimore right across from Ravens Stadium called Second Chance. It's like a big consignment shop staffed by paroled prisoners looking for a second chance. Much of the stuff there is left over construction material, or salvaged from demolition/renovation etc. My wife and I were in there a few years ago and they had those old roofing slates for about $1 apiece and she had the idea to decorate them so we bought a stack. My neighbor is an artist and sign painter so we gave some to him to experiment and that is the very first one he did. Well since then his daughter has jumped on it and gets him to make personalized slates and she sells them on Etsy and various pop-up  shops around Annapolis. Now he cusses me out for starting this whole thing. Apparently it's a big PIA the prepping and cleaning of the slate is more work than the painting and the money he makes is negligible. Sorry Mic 😅 

We (wife) painted the slate too.  Found a stack a couple of feet high in the garage on the property of the house we bought. Obviously original to the 100 year old house, but most on the bottom were deteriorating.  Wet, freeze, repeat for 50+ years. Only able to use a dozen of so.  Our 4 kids each have theirs (Peanuts characters if I remember) and we have a couple as well.  We just had our roof replaced, asphalt shingles - and I'm amazed to think of the dangerous, hard work of putting a SLATE roof on a pitched roof three stories high.  You're friend may be *****in' but I'm sure he's figured out he's creating something that will outlive him ! 

Oh - to get back to the thread - our roof was not a 'splurge'.  Hail Storm: Insurance... $23K worth of it. 

40 minutes ago, rct said:

Took a gamble on this splurge last week, man what a payoff.  2020 70th Anniversary Esquire.  Perfect.

Needs White Pearl guard to be more than perfect, that's on the way.

Esquire1.jpg

Esquire2.jpg

rct

Wow, she's a beaut, Clark. 

I myself love the black pickguard, but White Pearl is great too. 

Anything but Mint Green. 
😉

On 1/15/2022 at 2:17 PM, mihcmac said:

Need to be careful cashing in your 401k's, I did when I was 66 and splurged on my FRS, but I had a pretty healthy tax penalty on it that had a negative effect on my SS. Having some cash did help me qualify for my VA home loan.

hHSyOvz.jpg

Is that you behind it? 

3 hours ago, rct said:

Took a gamble on this splurge last week, man what a payoff.  2020 70th Anniversary Esquire.  Perfect.

Esquire1.jpg

Esquire2.jpg

rct

I like the pick guard too, matches the burst.  This probably is a dumb question but I have never owned or played a Tell,  Is it hard feeding the strings through the back being a hole in the back and one in the front? Or do they go through a tube that guides them through?  By the way, Nice guitar. 

16 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Nice partner!  Shooting people in the head is not a good thing, don't do that.

No Zappa, three PJ Harvey demo albums.  They're basically her and the guitar with a couple of overdubs and the occasional drum track.

I'm not going to prison for anyone, But if I ever had to shoot someone, Like in a break-in and to save Deb's or the grandkids lives, It would likely be in the head. Lights out fast, no feeling. I was shot in the knee, and the bullet came out my calf, Doctors told me, I should be dead from it. The .41 Magnum that hit me, should have severed the artery and doctors were amazed that it didn't. They studied the X-Rays and were amazed I'm still alive. The bullet bruised the main artery instead of going through it. Anyway,  I Felt Nothing. Not even like a needle shot.  The only way I knew I was hit was because the bullet knocked me on my butt. Took me awhile to find the entry. 

1 hour ago, Retired said:

I like the pick guard too, matches the burst.  This probably is a dumb question but I have never owned or played a Tell,  Is it hard feeding the strings through the back being a hole in the back and one in the front? Or do they go through a tube that guides them through?  By the way, Nice guitar. 

It's tricky sometimes, but not much.  No tube, and the hole in the bridge is smaller than the hole through the body, so it can be fiddly at times, but nothing dramatic.

rct

• Like 1

15 hours ago, rct said:

Esquire1.jpg

Esquire2.jpg

rct

Oh man that is sweet! You might have to bend the rules a little and go with Black Pearl

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/16/2022 at 8:28 PM, SteveFord said:

Lucky you.

How did you get shot?  Were you twirling your six shooter like John Wayne or something?

I learned a lesson, "Never buy or trade, in this case a new gun for a used one. Earlier that day, I was target shooting and the gun went off on its own before I could even put my finger on the trigger. I should have put it away.  Instead, I fired about 20 or more rounds and it didn't do it again.  Later that day, again target shooting, It did it again. This time while holding the gun downward and taking to my son on my left side. I found out the the previous owner, made a hair trigger out of it and it goes off on its own. It still sits in the safe unused since that accident.  It is a BlackHawk .41 Magnum and I was getting rid of old hot round deer loads. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Retired said:

I learned a lesson, "Never buy or trade, in this case a new gun for a used one. Earlier that day, I was target shooting and the gun went off on its own before I could even put my finger on the trigger. I should have put it away.  Instead, I fired about 20 or more rounds and it didn't do it again.  Later that day, again target shooting, It did it again. This time while holding the gun downward and taking to my son on my left side. I found out the the previous owner, made a hair trigger out of it and it goes off on its own. It still sits in the safe unused since that accident.  It is a BlackHawk .41 Magnum and I was getting rid of old hot round deer loads. 

Wow, I would have thrown that thing into the ocean.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Retired said:

There are times when we make “improvements” to things. Sometimes it’s not smart. We think we know more than the people that built it. 

Speaking for myself, I’d be shopping the Brownell’s catalog to put it back stock. 

Ruger SA is nice. I have a 1976 4” 357 in the drawer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Genius that did that should get his chain yanked.  Causing 'accidental discharges'  gives credence to those folks who want to keep alive the excuse defense attorneys use -  People don't kill people, guns do.  I agree strongly with K'sDad -I'd put back in a stock trigger mechanism. Before it somehow gets into someone else's hands and they blame you for their 'accidental discharge.'.   One man's 'accidental discharge' is another man's  'negligent discharge'.  

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Wow, I would have thrown that thing into the ocean.  

I would have had to travel at least to Texas to throw it in the bay, Lol. I was going to sell it but would not have wanted the next person to deal with something like that.  My gunsmith retired and there's really not a good one left around here.  I did find another one recently but I have another gun I want him to fix first.  After The Black Hawk goes in to be fixed, I want some parts to be case-hardened. 

13 hours ago, ksdaddy said:

There are times when we make “improvements” to things. Sometimes it’s not smart. We think we know more than the people that built it. 

Speaking for myself, I’d be shopping the Brownell’s catalog to put it back stock. 

Yes. I traded a .22 automag for the .41 mag. I loved the .22 but it hurt my thumb every time trying to load it because the side button on the magazine was so small and hard to push down.  I traded with Guns Unlimited for the .41. They said Nothing about the hair trigger. Wish I had the .22 mag back now. I've been a gun collector for 35 years or more and still don't have a .357 yet. I almost got one when Milled, that used to be on here, tried talking me into joining a Sass shooting club.  But all the old cowboy names were taken.  I couldn't be BUTCH.  I do miss ol' Milled. 

14 hours ago, ksdaddy said:

I had one Ruger way back, My first one before I got married.  A super single six, but I sold it and This .41 mag is the only Ruger left. I should have taken it in to a Smith long ago but I have no plans of shooting it again till I find another one to fix it. 

Since this thread morphed into one about guns....I am certainly no collector, but I acquired a "Ball & Eagle" German WWII 9MM.   As far as I can tell, it's a "numbers matching" piece.   Someone dated it for me once...but I forget when he said it was made...but I think 1943.   I was offered $1K for it back in the 80's.

• Like 1