Gibson Brands Forums

New Flamed top Lucille Legacy

Rabs

14 hours ago, SteveFord said:

They gave it the 25th Anniversary Les Paul fret markers but I'll hold off for the Murphy Labs version where they hit it with a belt sander, muriatic acid and a heat gun and then throw it in a freezer.

Slim taper neck - the originals were Tree Trunk Taper for Mr. King's gigundo paws.

They were stereo, too, this one is mono.  

Here is the last line in the marketing blurb: The top, back, and sides of the body feature stunning figured maple veneer, which is visible through the Transparent Ebony nitrocellulose lacquer finish, making Lucille a very special guitar that’s fit for blues royalty.

And priced like you have the money the royals have.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

59 minutes ago, badbluesplayer said:

I think they should sell them for as much as they can get.  Every time they sell an $8,000 guitar, it allows them to make five $2,000 guitars.  

I certainly won’t stand in your way of buying an 8k guitar so Gibson can make 5 -2k guitars. Step right up and be the first. You think we will ever see a NGD with one of these Lucille’s?

1 hour ago, badbluesplayer said:

.........."There's (sic) people who complain about every pricepoint.  Gibson is not about price.  Gibson is about paying enough so you know you've invested in something.  They make lower end stuff, but that's not their big thing."

bbp.,

This "logic" makes no sense to me. 

RBSinTo

Are we really surprised about the price tag? I’m not… I’m more outraged that I spend about $150 more a month than what I was paying only a year ago. I’m more outraged that I pay for child care that I don’t get because they shut the place down for a covid case. I’m more outraged that I have to spend more for literally every necessity today than I did a short while ago. Yet I get paid the same crappy salary and expected to do more “for the company” I work for… Gibson and their customers who buy an $8k plus tax guitar can do what they do as long as it’s nowhere near my wallet these days. 

I don't like the looks of it.  To me, "Lucille" has always been an all black 335.  Except of course, when she was a Telecaster or some Fat 400 back in the "day".  [wink]   Or one or another of the various makes and models he's played over  70 years.

Whitefang

I customized mine. MIne came with a black guard and I added a rhythm/treble washer. I can't see if Steve's says Lucille on his, mine obviously does not. The one below is a 2010.

P.S. Gold Hardware sucks.

gpUengU.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We wont get any in the uk whether we like 'em or not.

We may never see another 355 or 335 again here. Even if we ordered one from USA, the uk customs and royal mail would hold it for ransom until you paid them up. Extortion is alive and well in the uk. Just look at the BBC's funding model.

Fortunately for me I don't much like figured wood anyway. Solid red would be my choice. 

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I customized mine. MIne came with a black guard and I added a rhythm/treble washer. I can't see if Steve's says Lucille on his, mine obviously does not. The one below is a 2010.

P.S. Gold Hardware sucks.

gpUengU.jpg

This took its place. The binding is still glued on, by the way.  And it from the era of so called binding pop.

4k0Z5rL.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

This took its place. The binding is still glued on, by the way.  And it from the era of so called binding pop.

4k0Z5rL.jpg

Chief,

The binding hasn't popped off your Martin model EPOB (Era of Popped Off Binding) guitar?

Obviously your's is the one in a million, the exception to the rule as it were.

Well, I guess it's just a matter of time.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo

1 hour ago, badbluesplayer said:

I don't think I have the same logic as you.  Is that logical?  And go sic somebody else, lol.  I'm a conversationalist writer.  I use conversatitation, Mr. William Shakestone...  😁

I was trying to be diplomatic.

And you've obviously mistaken me for somebody else.

This place's William Shakestone is a guy from Scandinavia.

RBSinTo

• Confused 1

Easy come, easy go.

I dug mine out for a bit and boy, does this one have a monster neck.  That's probably why the guy I sold it to sold it back to me, he probably wasn't expecting it to be so stout.

Hey, that's not what I had in mind, ha ha.

Edited by SteveFord

11 hours ago, kidblast said:

same idea on the Es335 / Epi Sheraton Pro II

I have one, and it's really a nice axe

is it an Es335?  Nope.. but it's close and 4x less the cost

I played one way back at guitar center, I thought it sounded great. I almost bought it but I'm thinking that was when I found the Gold Top and couldn't resist that price. 

15 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

I was trying to be diplomatic.  (I'm being sarcastic)

And you've obviously mistaken me for somebody else. (Slightly incorrect sentence structure)

This place's William Shakestone is a guy from Scandinavia.  (Somewhat unclear - please rewrite and resubmit)

RBSinTo  (Never contract a proper noun)

(Entirely unclear, I know you can do better.)

16 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Easy come, easy go.

I dug mine out for a bit and boy, does this one have a monster neck.  That's probably why the guy I sold it to sold it back to me, he probably wasn't expecting it to be so stout.

Hey, that's not what I had in mind, ha ha.

I have small hands and the BB (I think stood for baseball bat) neck never bothered me when I had it. I did like the 60's slimmer neck on my LP Trad Pro II. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper