Gibson Brands Forums

I've Retired...

Murph

If you've noticed me on here during all hours of the day, I've retired.

One cool thing about getting old, is that you can call old people old and get away with it.

About the time I was making the final decision, inflation started kicking in. The (U.S.) Social Security offices were all closed for years due to the China virus, so I had to do everything online. Then when I turned in my notice at work and started getting serious about it, and doing the final paperwork, Russia decides to start invading countries and the price of oil skyrockets.

The process of retiring is terrifying enough for a person who has worked their entire life, but I remember the 60's wars, and the 70's inflation, and gas lines, and 17% mortgages.

Anyhow, I'm easing into it, my wife has a few months to go. I've mastered Neopolitan pizza from scratch, and bread from scratch, and my new Traeger pellet grill, wrote a song and worked on the house a little.

Maybe this will be okay.

• Like 2

The one cool thing about getting old is what was once considered obnoxious behavior is now seen as eccentric.  Having been born while Truman was president, I retired a few years ago.  I got away with murder those last years I worked though as people racked it up to "he is just old."  

Enjoy your retirement.  

I have 178 calendar days until I retire.

That's 124 work days.

Between what I have on hand and what I will accrue, I will have 46 days of Annual Leave to use between now and then. I could get paid for it but they will take 40% off the top, likely. I'd rather have the days.

I do not hate my job. It's a good job that anyone would kill to get. But I want my days. People say "you'll be sorry, you'll go nuts." Okay, first of all, I'm already nuts, so no travel time lost there. Second, my job is not my identity, like many folks. Nothing wrong with it, it's just not me. My occupation(s) have always been nothing more than a way to keep from being homeless.

I want to take all day to make a bone nut if I want to. I want to be able to mow my 4 acres of lawn at a leisurely pace and not like I'm racing a thunderstorm. I want to be able to sit and read a book and not have one eye on the clock because I need to be somewhere or I need to get to bed so I can get up and besomewhere. If an amp has a scratchy pot, I want to be able to take the time to dig in and do it right and not worry about going back to work. Or time in general. I want to smash every clock in the house.

I'm not stressed. Nope. Not me. I'm not a time bomb....

And if I were a time bomb, I would be disarmed on August 27th.

• Like 4

good for you Murph!

There is always going to be something going on in the world to give worry.  No way around that.

I'm closing in on my last days of working full time as well, and a bit apprehensive too, I understand that emotion, I'm sure it gets a bit more intense as the day draws closer.

But on the bright side, I've got a few close friends who've been there, done that,  they are doing fine, and hey, they even assure me that it will all work out. !! Whats to fear??!?!

Enjoy what is now YOUR time, you've certainly earned every hour of it.

Murph,   I've been retired for 10 years.   Like ZmbyWf mentioned -  when I had a couple of years to go it was enlightening to realize , that I didn't have to show up before 8 and leave at 6 and eat at my desk.  "No, I can't complete a 3 week project in one week because some department head didn't plan his vacation well."  Etc.    PERSPECTIVE - I got it day by day over the 38 years, but only realized it when I saw the brass ring.  

Now I value that perspective almost as much as the retirement savings we have.  As K'sDad notes - you can do whatever you want, however you want, whenever you want, and take however long you want. You can enjoy the journey and not  be forced to produce results.     I cannot believe how busy, but relaxed I am.  A different kind of 'busy'. Tried different things at first - was afraid I'd be bored.  Volunteer Program at the Zoo on Fridays,  Horse Rescue Ranch on Tuesdays -   but after a year I quit the first and after 4 years quit the second.   Still as busy as ever - not getting ready for a monthly management meeting - something more enjoyable like grilling, dog walking, learning a new instrument or song.   

You'll realize why they call it  "The Golden Years"  the first morning you wake up  and don't have to go to work.    The yoke is gone!  And, as KidBlast said - there will ALWAYS be unrest and turmoil in the world and, sadly, even in the country.  Nothing changes ... human nature.  But we've gotten perspective from living through so many different versions of it. 

2 hours ago, Murph said:

If you've noticed me on here during all hours of the day, I've retired.

CONGRATZ, Murph!    As one who recently retired (about 1-1/2 years ago) I can tell you it's a change you have to get used to.   I now walk every morning, I play my guitar every day, usually in the mornings before my wife gets up.   I record a song I've learned every couple of days....I'm MORE than busy....all things you said you'd do 'when you got time' you'll have time to do now,  (I've found I do my tasks much more thoroughly now....since it's no big deal to glue something, then actually wait for it to dry!).

One thing my financial planner told me, "You have to get used to a declining bank balance...that's the way it works!"

I had THE BEST job for over 39 years, working in the same industry with the same people for 53 years.....and I don't miss the work days even a little.

Enjoy!    You've earned it!

13 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Murph,   I've been retired for 10 years.   Like ZmbyWf mentioned -  when I had a couple of years to go it was enlightening to realize , that I didn't have to show up before 8 and leave at 6 and eat at my desk.  "No, I can't complete a 3 week project in one week because some department head didn't plan his vacation well."  Etc.    PERSPECTIVE - I got it day by day over the 38 years, but only realized it when I saw the brass ring.  

Now I value that perspective almost as much as the retirement savings we have.  As K'sDad notes - you can do whatever you want, however you want, whenever you want, and take however long you want. You can enjoy the journey and not  be forced to produce results.     I cannot believe how busy, but relaxed I am.  A different kind of 'busy'. Tried different things at first - was afraid I'd be bored.  Volunteer Program at the Zoo on Fridays,  Horse Rescue Ranch on Tuesdays -   but after a year I quit the first and after 4 years quit the second.   Still as busy as ever - not getting ready for a monthly management meeting - something more enjoyable like grilling, dog walking, learning a new instrument or song.   

You'll realize why they call it  "The Golden Years"  the first morning you wake up  and don't have to go to work.    The yoke is gone!  And, as KidBlast said - there will ALWAYS be unrest and turmoil in the world and, sadly, even in the country.  Nothing changes ... human nature.  But we've gotten perspective from living through so many different versions of it. 

that's pretty much it forty...  All that "Stuff" that you were doing, and I'm doing now really is meaningless in the grand scale isn't it.   BUT! It was a means to the end.

Enjoy your time man, every day..   part of me can't wait for this kind of "freedom"  it's starting to win the argument with the other part of me that says "ya but the money is hard to pass over"

It's just money which does not equal happiness.

• Thanks 1

Awesome, Murph!  You’re going to love it.  I’ll be retired 10 years this May.  I’m busier than I’ve ever been, but the difference is that most of what I’m doing is what I don’t mind doing and it’s at a slower pace.  The only thing I’ve found that I don’t like is going to high school reunions and having all these old people asking me if I remember them.

My wife retired a few years back and I retired in December. I’m 55 so that is old to some and not old to others. I also retired from active duty in December 2011. So I guess I’m double retired. Kind of like a Slash sig Les Paul. It’s a double sig model.

5 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

My wife retired a few years back and I retired in December. I’m 55 so that is old to some and not old to others. I also retired from active duty in December 2011. So I guess I’m double retired. Kind of like a Slash sig Les Paul. It’s a double sig model.

Congratz!    (but I have liver spots older'n 55!).

2 hours ago, Murph said:

Thanks all.

It surely is a scary thing for some reason.

I'm sure I'll settle in, in a few months.

Ya'll are great.

Next up.....

Medicare !

😵

I'm 64 too.  for like 34 more days...  65 is right around the corner, and yes indeed ,,  I'm scared   🥺

Congratulations on your retirement.

I love being retired; sure there's less money if you're not working, but far less expense too. 

I open my window every day, hear the traffic madness on the bypass and love that I no longer have to join it, or be told what to do by anyone.  If I want to go back to sleep for awhile, I can  - and sometimes do.  I'm never late for anything these days!   And I get to play my guitar in the daytime[thumbup]

For the 1st year-and-a-bit you may wonder how you ever had time to work.  And why you are putting on weight.

Best wishes to all!