Gibson Brands Forums

You know you are getting old when........

Rabs

11 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

Found an episode of Sky King a couple days ago. Damn!  It was first aired in July, 1955.  I had just turned 8-years-old.  I thought his niece in the show (Penny) was hot, but I had no idea what “hot” meant.

Then you're the same age as my brother would be had he still been with us.  And that was one of his favorite shows.  I remember watching it too, although  I think the last few years of it or so.   The show first aired on TV(it was on radio too) a couple of months after I was born(July, '51) and ran until 1959.   And I think my brother was more infatuated with the twin Cessna than Penny.  [wink]

Whitefang

22 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

Terry Sawchuk, then of the Detroit Red Wings, first wore a mask on October 11, 1962, which was a year later than I began wearing one.

RBSinTo

'62 sounds right.  That's about the time I started taking a genuine interest in the sport. And which explains why Sawchuk was the first goalie I saw wearing the face mask.   But because of general disinterest among the greater Detroit area, it was easier to watch Wings games when they played either Toronto or Montreal.  That way we could pick up the games on the VHF channel coming out from Windsor, Ont. just across the Detroit river. (CBC).  But by '65 a UHF start-up channel started carrying the games.  But we had to get a sort of adapter to hook up to our TV  in order to get the channel in.   Not all televisions at the time came with UHF capability.

Whitefang

6 hours ago, Whitefang said:

'62 sounds right.  That's about the time I started taking a genuine interest in the sport. And which explains why Sawchuk was the first goalie I saw wearing the face mask.   But because of general disinterest among the greater Detroit area, it was easier to watch Wings games when they played either Toronto or Montreal.  That way we could pick up the games on the VHF channel coming out from Windsor, Ont. just across the Detroit river. (CBC).  But by '65 a UHF start-up channel started carrying the games.  But we had to get a sort of adapter to hook up to our TV  in order to get the channel in.   Not all televisions at the time came with UHF capability.

Whitefang

On my honeymoon I went to Vancouver. I really love Canada despite what JVC thinks. We went to a BC Lions Football Game and a Pre-season Canucks game. Well the Canucks were playing the Rangers that night. Messier was on the Canucks and Wayne was on the Rangers. What pissed me off was Wayne did not suit up that night, and it was my only chance to see him. Thanks Wayne. Messier played. Can't remember who won. 

Steamworks Alewerks Microbrewery right there on the waterfront, close to where the cruise ships pull in had the best Calamari I ever had. They  deep fried thin slices of jalapeno's with the squid, and man oh man its damn good.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

15 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

On my honeymoon I went to Vancouver. I really love Canada despite what JVC thinks. We went to a BC Lions Football Game and a Pre-season Canucks game. Well the Canucks were playing the Rangers that night. Messier was on the Canucks and Wayne was on the Rangers. What pissed me off was Wayne did not suit up that night, and it was my only chance to see him. Thanks Wayne. Messier played. Can't remember who won. 

Steamworks Alewerks Microbrewery right there on the waterfront, close to where the cruise ships pull in had the best Calamari I ever had. They  deep fried thin slices of jalapeno's with the squid, and man oh man its damn good.

Chief,

You went to Vancouver on your honeymoon.

What about Mrs. Chief?

Did she go too, or was she somewhere else?

Just wondering.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Chief,

You went to Vancouver on your honeymoon.

What about Mrs.Chief?

Did she go too, or was she somewhere else?

Just wondering.

RBSinTo

That was when I was married to my first wife. I’ve since been remarried. Well not since, #2 was in 2010.

We thought he was great.   Turns out this (almost signature) sketch had various changing people play the gorillas.

Sometimes the ape on the left was JACK LEMMON,  other times FRANK SINATRA.  The ape at the piano was often Ernie's wife EDIE ADAMS.  The middle ape was always Ernie.   Ladies and gentlemen, I bring you....

THE NAIROBI TRIO

Whitefang

I definitely remember the Nairobi Trio and Ernie Kovacs, but I don't remember the Percy skit. Ernie was an innovator.

I used to have The Ernie Kovacs Record Collection https://www.discogs.com/release/1455532-Various-The-Ernie-Kovacs-Record-Collection but someone stole it years ago. Nairobi was on it, as well as Saxophobia.

You know you are getting old when instead of lying about their age to seem younger, all your friends brag about how old they are.

You know you are getting old when conversations with your friends frequently turn to doctors and ailments

(I've been playing condominiums way too long now and am determined not to be 'one of those' folks.)

You know your car is getting old when it has a carburetor in it, and you are old when you understand how it works.

When you remember that almost every lounge had an upright or spinet piano that was out of tune and had cigarette burns on the surface

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 1/17/2023 at 6:02 PM, Whitefang said:

In 1966?  Cripes, by that time my school district quit having those drills. All we had were the occasional fire drills.   But 1966 was my first year of high school, and the new high school building(as "new" as 1961) was constructed with a lower level fallout shelter and the walls were plastered with posters instructing us how to get to it, if the need ever arised. 

But yeah, I remember the "duck and cover" under the desk drills we had in grade school.  We also had another drill for tornadoes should one ever come along.  They called for us to go out to the hall and(since the school was built in 1918 there were no lockers an those walls)  crouch down under where our coats or jackets were hanging down where the floor met the wall.  

But I don't think a tornado would have done much if any serious damage to this building....

0e5e5f2562d03c3a9d3cb84d3ae271f0.jpg

Goodell elementary school, Lincoln Park, MI....  Looks to be around the later '40's.

Whitefang

Actually, my school district still had "duck and cover" drills in the 1960s, even in high school. We were prepared for potential threats, including nuclear concerns and tornadoes. The drills were a regular part of our safety routines, alongside fire drills.

On 1/17/2023 at 6:02 PM, Whitefang said:

In 1966?  Cripes, by that time my school district quit having those drills. All we had were the occasional fire drills.   But 1966 was my first year of high school, and the new high school building(as "new" as 1961) was constructed with a lower level fallout shelter and the walls were plastered with posters instructing us how to get to it, if the need ever arised. 

But yeah, I remember the "duck and cover" under the desk drills we had in grade school.  We also had another drill for tornadoes should one ever come along.  They called for us to go out to the hall and(since the school was built in 1918 there were no lockers an those walls)  crouch down under where our coats or jackets were hanging down where the floor met the wall.  

But I don't think a tornado would have done much if any serious damage to this building....

0e5e5f2562d03c3a9d3cb84d3ae271f0.jpg

Goodell elementary school, Lincoln Park, MI....  Looks to be around the later '40's. By the way I got from the online research writer, more specifically https://edusson.com/research-paper-writing-service, writing about that school, because it actually has a rich history, my grandparents learned there and I was interested to learn more about it, besides that as a student I used this writing for college and I understood that I actually made a discovery.

Whitefang

This is actually amazing

10 hours ago, SteveFord said:

You get up to take a leak before you begin your busy day and as you're standing at the toilet your knee pops and you start farting.

Aiming, farting and laughing all at the same time takes concentration.

And this is before my morning coffee!

Haha, so much truth in your words 😁

Edited by havasasabata

• 1 month later...