Gibson Brands Forums

My ‘57 Bel Air

ksdaddy

I’m not one for car shows. I did take it to one in 2018. I’m in the process of handing it over to my son in law. He’s already handed me the money with the understanding that I hand over the keys when I’m ready. He’s taken it to one parade and two car shows, plus they can “borrow” it anytime. My only hesitation is that I haven’t found a “summer car” to replace it with. You’ll see it in the video, hard to miss that turquoise. 

https://www.wagmtv.com/2022/07/12/presque-isle-fly-car-show/?fs=e&s=cl&fbclid=IwAR1pN8I-r24dNKMNKdwIknw_Lj7RRlZx6JuiuItF89OB7l_vkVVHIAw_vNs

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ksdaddy said:

I’m not one for car shows. I did take it to one in 2018. I’m in the process of handing it over to my son in law. He’s already handed me the money with the understanding that I hand over the keys when I’m ready. He’s taken it to one parade and two car shows, plus they can “borrow” it anytime. My only hesitation is that I haven’t found a “summer car” to replace it with. You’ll see it in the video, hard to miss that turquoise. 

https://www.wagmtv.com/2022/07/12/presque-isle-fly-car-show/?fs=e&s=cl&fbclid=IwAR1pN8I-r24dNKMNKdwIknw_Lj7RRlZx6JuiuItF89OB7l_vkVVHIAw_vNs

Awesome!  Cool show.

Yeah, cool.  My best friend back in the '60's had a '57 he bought for $100.  Got it from a neighbor lady's uncle.  Was some kind of light dusty rose metallic color he dubbed "pink titty".   That summer('68) he went into the marines and regrettably left his younger brother in charge of taking care of it.  By that November the brother  tried driving it(not intentionally mind you) through a fire hydrant.  To this day I still cringe whenever I think about that.   I do certainly hope you have better luck with yours.  [wink]

Whitefang

I used to have a 55 Chevy Bel Air.. Cool Cars.. I’ve had a bunch since then.. That’s my other Addiction!

I’m looking for a 55, 56 or Chevy 57 Nomad right now.. 

What are you looking for? The market is crazy right now!

35 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

What are you looking for? The market is crazy right now!

I've had my day with a tri-five. I've known this car since the 80s and owned it since 2013. I won't miss the lack of power steering or power brakes. I look at old cars for sale and get no warm fuzzy. I had a Corvette for 5 or 6 years and always felt like a D-bag when I drove it, same as I view anyone driving something like that. By contrast, everyone loves that Bel Air and it makes them happy to see it. I don't really want an old car that I need to worry about getting scratched or driving in bad weather. Doesn't leave me much. I guess "no action" is as legit a choice as any.

I do like the newer Mustangs and they're not as slimy as Corvettes.

The only "old car" that might stir me to reach for my wallet would be one that I would have owned as a younger man. I had a string of '67 and '68 Impalas, with tin riveted onto the quarter panels and trunks, and some painted with DeRusto by brush. I would be just nostalgic enough to be stirred by one.

44-1967-Chevrolet-Impala-in-Colorado-Jun

I’m not a 4 door Guy as far as Vintage Cars go.. Strong Pass for me… Maybe a 49 Merc with Suicide doors.. I like some Mustangs, Shelby’s & older Mach 1’s, but a lot are just girls Cars.. Like T Birds…

There are lots of Corvettes that are far from slimy or douchy… A 63 Split Window would be fine in my Garage! And many others… Or a 67 with a 454…

I’ve had a couple more recent Camaros I liked a lot.. A 79 Camaro I bought for my Wife & a red 88 Z28 Convertible.. Pretty fun Cars..

I had a ‘75 Caprice Classic Convertible for a while that was a fun Palm Springs Cruiser.. Until it got stolen.. 

Right now I’m stuck on getting a Tri Five Chevy Nomad, a mid 60’s Chevelle SS or GTO….

Beautiful Chevy. Here's my birth year Volvo (1960) and what it looked like when I bought it. It's my only car and I use it when I need transportation other than walking or a bicycle. The closest I've come to bringing it to a car show was kind of like your Bel Air. They had a car show at a decommissioned airfield (Floyd Bennet). I wanted to see the cars so I parked my car as far away from the show as possible. People still walked all the way to the end of the lot to take pics of it.

eH5beg7.jpg

o6Srkcq.jpg

My 57 Chevy Wagon in the background was the same color as the OP's. It was the Band Wagon in 71, seen here unloading at a political rally with drum cases on the roof. Also just in front was one of our guitarist's Bug. and of course a friendly cop behind..

w0g9BuA.jpg

6 hours ago, gearbasher said:

Beautiful Chevy. Here's my birth year Volvo (1960) and what it looked like when I bought it. It's my only car and I use it when I need transportation other than walking or a bicycle. The closest I've come to bringing it to a car show was kind of like your Bel Air. They had a car show at a decommissioned airfield (Floyd Bennet). I wanted to see the cars so I parked my car as far away from the show as possible. People still walked all the way to the end of the lot to take pics of it.

eH5beg7.jpg

o6Srkcq.jpg

I had a yellow Volvo like this.. It was all I could afford when I got out of the Army when I came back from Vietnam. It blew up a few weeks after I bought it.. I rebuilt the Engine.. It last a short while & blew up again! I sold it!

12 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I had a yellow Volvo like this.. It was all I could afford when I got out of the Army when I came back from Vietnam. It blew up a few weeks after I bought it.. I rebuilt the Engine.. It last a short while & blew up again! I sold it!

Was it an earlier one ('61 and before) with the B16 engine or possibly a real early one with the B14.  Because the B18 engines are pretty much indestructible. My '60 had a B18 dropped in. I owned a '63 with a B18 and just before I junked it (too much rust), I purposely tried to blow the engine. It survived everything I did to it, short of running it with no oil.

Edited by gearbasher

10 minutes ago, gearbasher said:

Was it an earlier one ('61 and before) with the B16 engine or possibly a real early one with the B14.  Because the B18 engines are pretty much indestructible. My '60 had a B18 dropped in. I owned a '63 with a B18 and just before I junked it (too much rust), I purposely tried to blow the engine. It survived everything I did to it, short of running it with no oil.

It very well may have been.. It was 1969 & it was an old Used Car.. It looked great though! It was fun to drive.. I replaced it with a 65 VW Bug that I ended up totaling one night in Oxen Hill, Md.. It might not have been the Cars fault though! I was wild & crazy when I came back from Nam…