Gibson Brands Forums

Early studio works of Jimmy Page

jaxson50

I can also claim to not be a "fan", but do like and admire him as a guitarist.   Was surprised to see a session with Otis Spann.  But I shouldn't have been.  Blues legends, like American jazz legends had to go overseas to England and mainland Europe to find appreciative audiences around that time. 

Whitefang

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I remember am interview I saw with JP, and he said he heard songs on the radio, and knew it was him playing on it, but didn't remember the session.

Love JP or hate him, you have to tip your hat to his savvy as a young man.

He could have joined any of thousands of bands being assemembled across Britain in the early and mid 60s. 90% of which are vague memories today, but he chose to stay in the studio and learn how to run the mixers, produce records, and  mature as a player and a person before making the leap with LZ. 

7 minutes ago, jaxson50 said:

Love JP or hate him, you have to tip your hat to his savvy as a young man.

He could have joined any of thousands of bands being assemembled across Britain in the early and mid 60s. 90% of which are vague memories today, but he chose to stay in the studio and learn how to run the mixers, produce records, and  mature as a player and a person before making the leap with LZ. 

He's a legend and a great player. Sometimes sloppy, but he's on some of the best albums ever recorded.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Already did.  :rolleyes:   Anyway.......

One guy I knew put it this way.....

One thing he liked about Page's work with Led Zeppelin was(as he put it) "how he always found those ugly chords".   I allowed as the chords weren't all ugly, but the  tone he played them through was.   And were usually the right fit for the song.  Gotta wonder where and how he figured all that out.  Certainly, not from all that time in a skiffle band.  [wink]

Whitefang

3 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I read somewhere some time ago that JP did Session work with “Them” on “Baby Please Don’t Go” & “Mystic Eyes”… 2 great Records from the 60’s! Doesn’t appear on that Link of his Session work? Anybody know? 

I have read the same thing. I’ve seen a long list of his sessions and I remember those 2 were on the list. 

In the 70's when I was a full time guitar player and was branching out from The Beatles and Johnny Winter, he was my biggest influence. Think I watched song remains the same 5 or 6 times at the movie theater. He was pretty prolific early on. Great stuff.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Pinch said:

Actually, I don't like Led Zeppelin much 😐 

But that's okay, because chances are VERY good they don't like my playing either.

Unfortunately, we’re not even a blip on their radar! Although, there’s a lot of their music I like.. Especially some of JP’s Acoustic Guitar playing…

He & Jeff Beck played together in “The Yardbirds” & I thought they sounded fantastic together! 

Edited by Larsongs

3 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Unfortunately, we’re not even a blip on their radar! Although, there’s a lot of their music I like.. Especially some of JP’s Acoustic Guitar playing…

He & Jeff Beck played together in “The Yardbirds” & I thought they sounded fantastic together! 

Obviously, he's great player, even if they're not really my cup of tea. Everyone at that level can play circles around most people. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Page and Beck really didn't do that much together or for very long.  And early on Page played bass in The Yardbirds with Beck on lead. At least until their rhythm guitarist  Chris Dreja could get accustomed to playing the instrument and replace departing OG bassist Paul Samwell-Smith.  In truth, It was Clapton who suggested the band hire Page as his replacement when he left, but Page turned around and suggested they hire Beck instead.   

It all can get very confusing.

Whitefang

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Page and Beck really didn't do that much together or for very long.  And early on Page played bass in The Yardbirds with Beck on lead. At least until their rhythm guitarist  Chris Dreja could get accustomed to playing the instrument and replace departing OG bassist Paul Samwell-Smith.  In truth, It was Clapton who suggested the band hire Page as his replacement when he left, but Page turned around and suggested they hire Beck instead.   

It all can get very confusing.

Whitefang

Yeah, “The Yardbirds”, one of my all time favorite Bands, was a revolving door of ever changing members.. Most notable were Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck & Jimmy Page..  Their main Career spanned from 1963-1968..

Drummer Jim Mc Carty still tours with his version of “The Yardbirds” but without the Original Vocalist/Harp player or Lead Guitarists… Without Mc Carty on Drums it would be considered a Trib Band…