Gibson Brands Forums

An unexpected blast from the past

Rabs

Kind of a pointless thread but tonight I was given a small gift by my brother in law who drives stuff about the UK and Europe.. And one of his regular customers is a magazine publisher. He got me a copy of that book of David Gilmours auctioned guitars before it came out which was cool. And tonight I got three Guitar magazines. I used to get these all the time, but many many years ago. And actually I have to say its quite nice thumbing through a magazine rather than reading it on a computer screen for a change.

Is there anyone that still actually buys these?

xexheGR.jpg

10 hours ago, Rabs said:

Kind of a pointless thread but tonight I was given a small gift by my brother in law who drives stuff about the UK and Europe.. And one of his regular customers is a magazine publisher. He got me a copy of that book of David Gilmours auctioned guitars before it came out which was cool. And tonight I got three Guitar magazines. I used to get these all the time, but many many years ago. And actually I have to say its quite nice thumbing through a magazine rather than reading it on a computer screen for a change.

Is there anyone that still actually buys these?

xexheGR.jpg

That guy on the cover on the left I've seen 3 times live.

14 hours ago, ksdaddy said:

I have a couple filing cabinets with Guitar Players from the mid 70s to 2010 or so. Years ago, I read (and RE-read) every issue, cover to cover. Now they are neatly hanging in file folders, Their value..... about zero.

Man, you'd think the 70's stuff would have some value. 

The full page ads would make cool pictures (framed), my wife does that with magazines from the 40's and stuff.

Supply and demand is a beautiful thing. Not always to my advantage but I will happily play by nature’s rules. 

I bought 22 boxes of magazines for $9.00 a month or two ago. Mixed in was a box of newspapers.  Pearl Harbor, V-E Day, D Day, Space Shuttle disaster, various presidents coming and going. I’ve sold some of them for $25-50 each. Some magazines for up to $50 each. By contrast, I also have National Geographic, Scientific American, assorted model airplane magazines, Princeton Alumni Weekly, Air & Space, and others. Most of them I’ve tried to sell for $10 a year or as much as I can fit into a priority mail flat rate box for $10 (plus shipping). Not much success. I figure I’ve made close to $600 off the stuff people want, and the rest will likely go to the community recycling center.  These magazines are taking up a lot of room…..

I sold over a decades worth of GP from the late 70s on a few years back for over £400.

I am in the UK though. all issues were good nick and in order, even had all the flexidiscs.

Edited by jdgm

Some people are wrapped tighter than others. I’m sure if the word toilet didn’t set them off, something else would. 
My late wife could not spell toilet to save her life. It always showed up as toliet paper on the grocery list. So quite often I purposely pronounce it toliet, which brings a little grin to my face in her memory. My youngest daughter called ketchup “keppitch” when she was a toddler. That has stuck over the years as well. 
As to the bathroom/toilet usage, I sometimes announce, “well, I guess I’ll go drop the kids off at the pool!”

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Farnsbarns said:

Don't say "toilet". You'll scare the bejesus out of the yanks. They'll say anything else to avoid it. Rest room, nope, don't want a rest. Bathroom, nah, just need a sh¹t mate. 

You can rob a bank in America just by shouting the word toilet. 

!LOL!  That must be in other parts of the country,   what else are we supposed to call it????

36 minutes ago, Farnsbarns said:

My entire family calls mahonnaise "marmaze" in honour of my niece who couldn't say mahonnaise. 

A friend worked at McDonald’s in the 70s and called it may-nazz. I occasionally use that. 
I often mispronounce words just to see if people are paying attention. 

37 minutes ago, Pinch said:

I used to buy Guitar World every now and then. They featured more metal players than Guitar Player. 

Absolutely. When I had my guitar shop in the mid 80s, the teenagers chatted more about GW than GP. 
They chatted a lot about headstock shape and installing $300 Floyd Roses on $89 Strat copies. I found myself reading GW more, just so I could converse. 

3 hours ago, Farnsbarns said:

A friend was actually publicly berated in Florida for using the word toilet. 

Florida is a special place in the US.  Let's just say that it's easier to live there, so the people who live there tend to be a little more "easy-living" than some others.  Plus, that's where my daughter ran off with some drunk in a wife beater a couple years ago and I haven't seen her since.  So they have that going for them.  Don't say toilet though... 

3 hours ago, Farnsbarns said:

My entire family calls mahonnaise "marmaze" in honour of my niece who couldn't say mahonnaise. 

Does your entire family pronounce it differently for those in the family who don't seem to know how to SPELL mayonnaise?   [wink]

4 hours ago, ksdaddy said:

Some people are wrapped tighter than others. I’m sure if the word toilet didn’t set them off, something else would. 
My late wife could not spell toilet to save her life. It always showed up as toliet paper on the grocery list. So quite often I purposely pronounce it toliet, which brings a little grin to my face in her memory. My youngest daughter called ketchup “keppitch” when she was a toddler. That has stuck over the years as well. 
As to the bathroom/toilet usage, I sometimes announce, “well, I guess I’ll go drop the kids off at the pool!”

OK.  How about some who can't pronounce toilet.  And say instead, "tawlet"? 

Kids mispronouncing words can be amusing.  My kids never mispronounced "ketchup".  But my younger did say "M A G I J" instead of "magic".   And a nephew used to say "padetti" instead of "spaghetti".   [wink]   I still tease him about that. 

Whitefang

"Colonial Barbarian" ... I literally laughed out loud. I love it.

In tracing my family tree, seems like I mostly go back to England.... some as late as the 1850s, some in the early 1700s. Interesting to note that at some point in the late 1700s some of my ancestors (whose parents/grandparents came over from England earlier) suddenly found themselves in New Brunswick, Canada. I've read that some members of the British Army from the Revolutionary War era were given land grants in New Brunswick. Which raises the question  of which side they were on?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Farnsbarns said:

Love it when a colonial barbarian believes their simplified spellings of tricky words are the only way. [flapper]

Are you referring to those "barbarians" who eschew the use of that needless and pretentious superfluous "u"?  Like in "colour", "Harbour"  "honour"  etc.?  [wink]

Whitefang