Gibson Brands Forums

No Hangover...

Murph

3 hours ago, Murph said:

Clean for 23 years.

Sober for 13 years.

Haven't had a cigarette since Dec. 31, 2007.

However, no gig last night.

I slept through the whole ordeal...

Happy New Year, ya bunch of animals!

Way to stay strong Murph! Have a Happy New Year!!

3 hours ago, Murph said:

Clean for 23 years.

Sober for 13 years.

CONGRATZ, Murph… I had a glass of champagne last night…..I’ve never smoked cigarettes, and pot ever interested me much.

Just  happy to still be upright in my 74th year.   

HappyNewYear to you all.  

No alcohol since Dec 2003, no cigarettes since July 2014. We had $150 of Chinese take out on the kitchen table. We divided the leftovers up between my family and I was in bed by 10:30. Got up to pee at 11:58, back in bed at 12:02. Didn't notice any difference, other than I slept better.

Happy New Year!

Not a lot to report here....I spoke on the phone with my brother interstate earlier in the day and we were laughing about (comedian) Billy Connolly....saw him live around mid 90s.....sitting in the opera house of all places, laughing until you cry and your whole body turns to jelly!😄

Aha, I thought, drag out the old Billy C Live collections and watch them NYE!

Had 2 Wild T bourbon and cokes from pre-mix cans with dinner, no smokes for years.

So the Boss and I sat giggling and laughing till we cried and we turned to jelly, hysterical, hard to breathe, eyes running, noses running.....what a funny, funny man just talking of whatever enters his head.... meanwhile all around us all the local nitwits were trying to blow their hands and face off with fireworks and for a while there it sounded like the London Blitz or something. And I put the next Billy C live in the player....

I use to gig most NYE and while fun, it is lots of hard work and driving home from wherever was deadly with drunk drivers. I do miss it but would probably play somewhere with accommodation! Or buy a campervan. (of course one year when in my early 20s, I played at a gig (rock band) across from the ocean beach, got smashed, found a girl, woke up face in the sand on the beach head ka-thumping with the sun coming up.....and then had to pack up PA and ride home in the band van......ouch.

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

I do miss playing New Years.  But I don't, haven't gone out on New Years for quite a long time now.  You need to wave a grand under my nose, a grand for me, to get me out on New Years any more.  Much more fun hanging with Mrs, champagne and great dinner, some safe fireworks at midnight, watch all the dumb pop bands on tv.  Good good times.

rct

A heavy flu shot me down one week ago. Kept me in a close-to-comatic state for 3 days/nights. Nothing but small liquorice tablets, pills and mouthfuls of water - just sleeeeeeeep. . 

Turns out second movement of this attack is a focused though not mean cold. That's where it is right now. 
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         But I believe I bought a bass before goin' under. . 

On 1/1/2023 at 7:36 PM, Murph said:

Clean for 23 years.

Sober for 13 years.

So are you basically saying : No difference really between old-man-life and the death you trying to avoid by quitting all the fun. . 

Only kiddin' there, Murph - but you got the point. The geezer-phase is something different, right. . . 

Apart from that ~ New Year Happy New Year GIF - New Year Happy New Year Firecracker GIFs all

• Thanks 1

On 1/1/2023 at 2:10 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Smoked weed last night, drank 2 beers and a few vodka on rocks. I never smoked cigarettes, cause that’s just stupid.

Both are known (and proven) carcinogenic substances, with the former actually having untold amounts of more cancer-causing substances than cigarettes. So if you're drinking and smoking pot all the time and avoiding cigarettes, you might as well go buy a pack of unfiltered Pall Malls and have at it. Cigars too. 

16 minutes ago, Sevendaymelee said:

Both are known (and proven) carcinogenic substances, with the former actually having untold amounts of more cancer-causing substances than cigarettes. So if you're drinking and smoking pot all the time and avoiding cigarettes, you might as well go buy a pack of unfiltered Pall Malls and have at it. Cigars too. 

Some weed smokers toke all day. I don’t. I usually don’t have my first toke till around 5pm and might have another bowl in 3 or 4 hours. Cig smoker start the minute they get up till they go to bed. The amount of weed I smoke in one day, compared to a 2 pack a day-er is ginormous. If I smoked the same amount of weed as what is in 2 packs, I’d be a walking zombie.

I'm gonna ask a coworker who smokes cigarettes for one. I’m next gonna grind up weed and see how much it takes to fill one cigarette with weed. Multiply that by 20 and see by weight how much it is.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Sevendaymelee said:

You probably don't understand why you don't get invited to parties, do I have that right?

rct

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Some weed smokers toke all day. I don’t. I usually don’t have my first toke till around 5pm and might have another bowl in 3 or 4 hours. Cig smoker start the minute they get up till they go to bed. The amount of weed I smoke in one day, compared to a 2 pack a day-er is ginormous. If I smoked the same amount of weed as what is in 2 packs, I’d be a walking zombie.

I'm gonna ask a coworker who smokes cigarettes for one. I’m next gonna grind up weed and see how much it takes to fill one cigarette with weed. Multiply that by 20 and see by weight how much it is.

In 'Nam some of the guys paid papasan to take a normal carton of cigs, remove all the tobacco and replace with weed....I'm sure papasan reused the tobacco.

I never did it, and I never smoked any weed or cigs there....but I saw them, and papasan did a pretty good job!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Pot has a lot more carcinogens than tobacco, so it's not 1:1. I can't remember exactly what the ratio was, but it was ridiculous, I remember that. Something like one joint to one whole pack etc. 

1 hour ago, rct said:

You probably don't understand why you don't get invited to parties, do I have that right?

rct

Most of the guys who I use to party with (yes, I have had my share) twenty-five years ago are either dead, suffering from major health problems and/or depression, in jail, or are going nowhere fast, working entry level jobs along side teenagers and college students lol.

I don't envy party-goers. It's a lifestyle for the very young, and very naive. 

Or, if you really wanted to get to the crux of it: the very empty, and very lonely. 

Edited by Sevendaymelee

45 minutes ago, Sevendaymelee said:

Most of the guys who I use to party with (yes, I have had my share) twenty-five years ago are either dead, suffering from major health problems and/or depression, in jail, or are going nowhere fast, working entry level jobs along side teenagers and college students lol.

I don't envy party-goers. It's a lifestyle for the very young, and very naive. 

Or, if you really wanted to get to the crux of it: the very empty, and very lonely. 

Right.  Over.  Yerhead.

That's how too Why So Serious a person can be.

rct

• Thanks 1

I went to two of the best picking parties of the year, and neither involved alcohol.  Not forbidden but not served, which meant AFAIK not at all.   It has been moving in this direction for a couple of decades.  The emphasis -- as it always is -- was on jamming music.  It happened both New Year Eve and New Year Eve Eve -- two parties.  Party #1 (at my house) had two of the top flat pickers anywhere (many awards and contest won) in addition to my old band mates (mandolin, fiddle, and one of the best bass (standup) players around.  All could sing, and all knew the parts and rules for bluegrass harmony while covering all the parts.  Three had played the Grand Ole Opry.  And me -- I was the weak link.  This was bluegrass, but relatively civilized.  Night two -- not so much. The current members of the hot local band that won the state championships  (band and banjo) for both GA and AL were there and a couple of my friends my a-list friends: Tony Watt, Mark Bramlett (national champion on banjo and band a couple of years in the 1980s) , and fiddle player extraordinary Mark Squires.  Three GOO veterans here too.  This mostly "Katie bar the door," with young fingers.

I played guitar, harmonica (embarrassing, but the only instrument on which I can hang in at warp speed), and sung some lead and harmony. 

On Friday, I played my 36 AJ (I was at home, so why not) and on Saturday my 39 D-28 -- I would hope everyone could experience both of those guitars playing rhythm in a flat out traditional bluegrass session.

This was in GA, and the muted TV was on for the GA Ohio State game.  A couple of us were Georgia Tech guys -- but hey, when in Rome.  They noticed that GA did better on fast songs.  Just before midnight, GA needed a long last second drive to win.  So .. for several minutes we played Sally Goodin at light speed.  As it went around and around  several times, GA marched down the field and -- almost exactly at midnight -- they scored.  You could not make this stuff up!

I did not drink anything, even water -- I barely got up to go to the rest room.  This does happen often and I did not want to waste a second!

Happy New Year to all,

-Tom

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, tpbiii said:

....and one of the best bass (standup) players around. 

I love playing with a standup bass. It happens so rarely anymore.

Last summer I rented a nice (acoustically) room and ran an ad and passed out fliers for "acoustic only" players "NO AMPS ALLOWED" and mentioned "old time music" and "bluegrass" and "roots" and "blues. After I had done it, I felt bad, thinking no bass player would show up.

Sure enough, a full size upright player showed up, and he was great. We still get together with a few others and jam a few times a month, although he usually uses an electric due to the challenges of transporting the upright alone.

The uprights have a magical mellow room filling sound.

I listened to an interview with Jerry Garcia and he commented about trying to mic an acoustic guitar and he said something to the effect of ..."to get it right you need several mics and to mic the whole room because an acoustic guitar tone actually fills the whole room."

He was right, and that's especially correct about an upright bass.

Sounds like you had a blast, Tom.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sevendaymelee said:

Where did you dream up that "information"?

• Like 1

New Years Eve  for us was more sedated than normal.  I was getting over CV, and  she was getting it.  Didn't miss alcohol at all.  Came to a whole new level of appreciation of simple things like: Cool, Clear, Water.   An unclogged head that allows you to breathe.  An unfogged head that allows you to play guitar.  A good night's sleep that lays the groundwork for those two.   I got by with zinc, C and Coricidin.   Wife spent most of yesterday trying to get a prescription for highly recommended 'Plaxovid'.   Offices closed, so On Line only!   "DocsOnDemand", CVS Clinics, etc.  would talk with you and charge you - but then tell you 'we are not allowed to prescribe that'.   One first evenrequired you set up an account with a 24 hour pharmacy on the other side of town (20 miles away) first.   Finally, her Primary Care Doctor got her desperate txt msg pleas and sent in a scrip.    So,  your priorities change, and 'party hearty'  may not always be possible.