Gibson Brands Forums

2023 should be a great year for Gibson Acoustic Guitars!

Larsongs

10 hours ago, Larsongs said:

The specs are right there.  "Select Hardwood" means what it has always meant:  If not specified as mahogany the neck is cedar.  Buying a Martin is no different than all the "research" everyone does to buy a Gibson.  If you don't know or don't want to know how to do it, don't do it.  Jesus H. you are crapping your pants because they are using the same language for the necks they have always used, and your favorite retailer writes what they want in the sales drivel.  I can't believe I bother with this stupids hit.

rct

Edited by rct
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, rct said:

The specs are right there.  "Select Hardwood" means what it has always meant:  If not specified as mahogany the neck is cedar.  Buying a Martin is no different than all the "research" everyone does to buy a Gibson.  If you don't know or don't want to know how to do it, don't do it.  Jesus H. you are crapping your pants because they are using the same language for the necks they have always used, and your favorite retailer writes what they want in the sales drivel.  I can't believe I bother with this stupids hit.

rct

Once again it's just a b-itching point to credit how great the guitars from Bozeman are, and to discredit the guitars made in Nazareth. Yet some who want spec sheets own both flavors? Strange?

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Once again it's just a b-itching point to credit how great the guitars from Bozeman are, and to discredit the guitars made in Nazareth. Yet some who want spec sheets own both flavors? Strange?

No, that’s not what I’m doing.. I expect USA Martin, Gibson, Guild & Fender to be outstanding when it comes to Quality, Customer Service & Purchase Experience.. They all claim to have the best & be the best.. Providing something as simple as a Spec Sheet along with the Pile of Case Candy they already include(most of which is unnecessary) is not an absurd request..

Martin has indeed provided Specs in the past.. Whether Brazilian, East Indian, Madagascar Etc.. Necks we’re also Spec’d as Mahogany or whatever it was.. As were Fretboards, Ebony or whatever else..

In 2019 I played just about every new Martin Acoustic available at the time at the Winter NAMM Show.. Many didn’t have the Volute.. D-28’s included.. The Volute may strengthen the Neck but it doesn’t work for me.. Is it really necessary or a gimmick? I don’t know? I’ve had several Gibsons, Martins & Epiphones Acoustics over the past 50 years without Volute’s & they’re all just fine.. No issues!

The over defensiveness about someone wanting to know the Specs for Guitars seems laughable on a Forum dedicated to talking about Guitars! LOL!!!

38 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

No, that’s not what I’m doing.. I expect USA Martin, Gibson, Guild & Fender to be outstanding when it comes to Quality, Customer Service & Purchase Experience.. They all claim to have the best & be the best.. Providing something as simple as a Spec Sheet along with the Pile of Case Candy they already include(most of which is unnecessary) is not an absurd request..

Martin has indeed provided Specs in the past.. Whether Brazilian, East Indian, Madagascar Etc.. Necks we’re also Spec’d as Mahogany or whatever it was.. As were Fretboards, Ebony or whatever else..

In 2019 I played just about every new Martin Acoustic available at the time at the Winter NAMM Show.. Many didn’t have the Volute.. D-28’s included.. The Volute may strengthen the Neck but it doesn’t work for me.. Is it really necessary or a gimmick? I don’t know? I’ve had several Gibsons, Martins & Epiphones Acoustics over the past 50 years without Volute’s & they’re all just fine.. No issues!

The over defensiveness about someone wanting to know the Specs for Guitars seems laughable on a Forum dedicated to talking about Guitars! LOL!!!

Once again I'm gonna be a nice guy and give out free advice. Don't buy the damn D-45 if you can have a piece of paper accompanying it.

Martin, Gibson and Guild are not best. Best is whats best for you. I've said it before and I'll say it again. The BEST guitar, IMHO, I ever played was a Preston Thompson D-18 clone  (I think it was called a D-1A), I played at Carters Vintage. But it was 5k if I recall correctly.

My D-41 was a stellar guitar,  but it was so damn nice I didn't even want people to breath on it. So I traded it for a HD-28V and cash. I was playing my 000-18 yesterday with binding intact and no spec sheet and it sounded really good to my ignorant ears.

I'm done with this thread. I'll let others praise you and give you trophies for the piece of paper you insist on having, which I'm sure like I stated Martin will probably provide if asked.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, Larsongs said:

I would be all over it if even half of what you are claiming were true.  Nobody is denying anybody anywhere any of the specs on any Martin guitar.  Again, the neck wording has been that for a very long time.

For the last time, I will directly ask you Lars:  Where did you get this "fact" that CFMartin is not providing specs for "new guitars", whatever that means?  Where did this come from?

And before you tell me you didn't this and you didn't that, before you go back and edit it, here is a direct quote your first post in this thread, the one that started it all:

From Lars, first post:

I recently bought a Martin HD-28E.. It was a great Guitar but I just didn’t bond with it.. I was still looking for a D-28, But, now,  Martin has decided not to provide Specs for their Guitars.. They aren’t going to provide Materials for Bodies, Fretboards & other Parts of their new Guitars..

I want to know what I’m buying. Especially if I’m paying $3,000.00 or more!

They will be using different Woods but not say what it is? You don’t know what you’re spending your Money on..

Doesn’t seem smart to me!

See Link.

https://www.maurysmusic.com/maury_s_blog/view/208115/martin_guitars___the_use_of_sitka_spruce_in_2022

End Lars quote.

And the link is to the fact, a fact that has been going on for quite some time now with this thing called Sitka, that they'll use different language for the tops.

Help me out buddy.  I want to be angry too, I want a nice hot cup of outrage too.  Where is this all coming from?  Where did you come up with no specs for new Martins?

rct

12 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

If I was working on my Masters Degree that would be a good thesis. For my docudrama I would insist that Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson play the part of 40 Years Pickin (hasn't he been picking alot longer now?). He would be perfect for the roll. And in this killer docudrama when The Rock, portraying you, goes into Guitar Center to play the most expensive Gibson, and nails the opening riff to Smoke On The Water, he would give that sideways look he's know for. The people at home watching would just love it. Then he would met the girl of his dreams, they would date, they would have a misunderstanding, and break up, she would find out from her best friend it was just a misunderstanding,  they would get back together, and they would marry.

I should see if I can pitch that to the Hallmark Channel, so they can use that scenario for one of their hour long movies.

Scratch the docudrama, even Hallmark has standards.  
You should just start up your own Think Tank. 

2 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Scratch the docudrama, even Hallmark has standards.  
You should just start up your own Think Tank. 

I could see if Ru Paul  is interested in your part. That’s more like you. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

rct my friend,

My other Sources Customer Service Martin Guitars who I called & spoke to.. As of 2023 Due to availability of Woods, or lack thereof, they won’t necessarily be specified like they used to be.. Whether it’s Sitka, Adirondack, Brazilian, East Indian, Madagascar etc. They reserve the right to not designate the name or origin of Mahogany, Spruce or other Wood..

Also Martin Models that appeared prior to 1963 had Volutes which had nothing to do with strengthening the Necks. It was purely decorative… The D-35 appeared after 1963 & doesn’t have the Volute..

My other Source was my Rep of 15 years from Sweetwater.. The biggest Guitar Store in America…

Again, I still think Martin will build some very fine Premium Guitars but they can do a better job when it comes to a Premium Purchase Experience…

Again, I find it bizarre & laughable that guys on a Guitar Forum dedicated to discussing Guitars are so over defensive against the concept of Guitar buying Customer's wanting to know what their, $2,000, $3000, $4000 or more Guitars are made of.. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Larsongs said:

rct my friend,

My other Sources Customer Service Martin Guitars who I called & spoke to.. As of 2023 Due to availability of Woods, or lack thereof, they won’t necessarily be specified like they used to be.. Whether it’s Sitka, Adirondack, Brazilian, East Indian, Madagascar etc. They reserve the right to not designate the name or origin of Mahogany, Spruce or other Wood..

Also Martin Models that appeared prior to 1963 had Volutes which had nothing to do with strengthening the Necks. It was purely decorative… The D-35 appeared after 1963 & doesn’t have the Volute..

My other Source was my Rep of 15 years from Sweetwater.. The biggest Guitar Store in America…

Again, I still think Martin will build some very fine Premium Guitars but they can do a better job when it comes to a Premium Purchase Experience…

Again, I find it bizarre & laughable that guys on a Guitar Forum dedicated to discussing Guitars are so over defensive against the concept of Guitar buying Customer's wanting to know what their, $2,000, $3000, $4000 or more Guitars are made of.. 

Ok well we'll just look at CFMartin page occasionally and look for specs, specific specs.  If by some point this year they still are then...

rct

8 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Don't confuse them with facts...

30 minutes ago, Murph said:

Don't confuse them with facts...

I mentioned my Sources.. So unless they’re lying I don’t think I’m confusing them with facts.. Quite the opposite.. I want the facts.

You can look at the new 2023 Martin Specs on Sweetwater, the biggest Guitar Store in America, or whoever & you can read it! Necks used say Mahogany & Tops would specify what kind of Spruce.. New 2023’s Necks are Hardwood & Tops are Spruce… 

I’m not exactly sure what facts you’re referring to.. You all are welcome to source the facts yourselve’s…

Like Gibson, & other Guitar Makers  Websites, they are seldom up to date & lack much of the documented information about their discontinued, recent or even their newest current Models… That, for sure, isn’t new…..

I think we’ve beat this subject to death! People will believe what they want to believe..

9 hours ago, Larsongs said:

rct my friend,

Dude - You've been grinding along about this for like ten posts.  Maybe you need to be eduacated about what "specifications"means.  I can help, but something tells me you don't need any help.  I'll bet that you probably know what "specifications" means, too.

"Select Hardwood" is a specification.  If you don't think so, you need to hire somebody that you trust to tell you.  But you won't, 'cause you know exactly what I'm talking about, but you're being a dichhead.

If you knew what you were talking about, you'd'a said it like "Select Hardwood isn't a specific enough term for me."  That's different.  If you can't tell the difference, go hire somebody you trust to educate you on what a specification is. Who really has to be told what a specification is, anyway?

1. spec·i·fi·ca·tion

/ˌspesəfəˈkāSH(ə)n/

noun

• 1.an act of describing or identifying something precisely or of stating a precise requirement:"give a full specification of the job advertised"Similarstatement, stating, naming, identification, definition, ... more